YouTube will now pay you up to $10,000 for creating popular Shorts

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: How would you like to earn $10,000 per month? All it takes is a short-form video clip that attracts a lot of views and engagement. YouTube is giving out the money as an incentive for creators who use its TikTok-style Shorts platform.

YouTube earlier this year announced a $100 million fund that will pay those who make popular Shorts, which rolled out fully to 100 countries last month. From now throughout 2022, “thousands of eligible creators” can claim between $100 and $10,000 every month based on how many people watch their content and specific engagement metrics.

YouTube never revealed the required minimum viewer numbers as they change each month. It told TechCrunch that “it will determine how it calculates the thresholds by analyzing the best-performing channels and then calculating their bonus based on a number of factors, which includes views, where their audience is located and more.”

Creators who qualify for payments will be notified the second week of each month via the YouTube app. They’ll then have until the 25th of that month to claim the money.

There are some stipulations: the content must be original—no videos re-uploaded from other platforms such as TikTok, or any that feature watermarks; creators need to be over 13, and anyone under 18 needs a parent or guardian to set up their AdSense account, link it to the creator’s channel and accept the terms. Additionally, channels must have uploaded at least one eligible Short in the last 180 days.

Payments are only available in ten regions right now, including the US, UK, India, and Brazil, but they will expand to other markets in the future. Eventually, the Shorts Fund will be replaced by a “long-term, scalable monetization program,” said Neal Mohan, YouTube’s chief product officer.

Other platforms offer similar rewards for creators: Facebook has a $1 billion+ fund for videos posted to Facebook and Instagram; Pinterest has a $500,000 fund; and TikTok’s has $200 million ready for US creators.

Permalink to story.

Nothing is ever enough for Google: they couldn't leave well enough alone and want that TikTok money.

Issue is that it's almost guaranteed to be done at the direct expense of long form content creators: they'll kill their views and visibility in their algorithm to direct as many users as possible to the youtube-tik-toks and with all the money being given out it will effectively concede and suffocate all content that isn't music videos or short clips.

All around terrible decision: they should have bought a competing service if they wanted short form videos but hey, it's cheaper to do it at the expense of the people who actually made their youtube platform popular.

I've been a Youtube creator/partner for years.

74,000 subs and 44,500,000+ views.

It's definitely possible to make powerful, engaging shorts, but it's definitely not easy. That's Tik Tok's game. The real money on Youtube is long-term income share on lengthy videos that encourage audience engagement. Controversial topics are best.

Nothing is ever enough for Google: they couldn't leave well enough alone and want that TikTok money.

Issue is that it's almost guaranteed to be done at the direct expense of long form content creators: they'll kill their views and visibility in their algorithm to direct as many users as possible to the youtube-tik-toks and with all the money being given out it will effectively concede and suffocate all content that isn't music videos or short clips.

All around terrible decision: they should have bought a competing service if they wanted short form videos but hey, it's cheaper to do it at the expense of the people who actually made their youtube platform popular.

Youtube's algorithm is already hurting content creators.

Just what we need, more stupid $hit to littler the internet and more kids thinking they'll strike it rich being a youtuber or some tiktok influencer or whatever the helI they call themselves.

My kids are always trying to show me "funny" clips from youtube, but the stuff they watch isn't funny. It has no substance and lacks any kind of effort to be clever. I see these clips and it's just people being over the top stupid, doing stupid stuff and my kids think it's hilarious. If I do the same thing at home, my kids think it's stupid and I'm being annoying.....then they go back seeing the same $hit on youtube that I just did for them in person and they're laughing their heads off.

I've got lots of shorts, mostly boxers, a few with skid marks in them but none the less, they are welcome to them, just ask!

Just what we need, more stupid $hit to littler the internet and more kids thinking they'll strike it rich being a youtuber or some tiktok influencer or whatever the helI they call themselves.

My kids are always trying to show me "funny" clips from youtube, but the stuff they watch isn't funny. It has no substance and lacks any kind of effort to be clever. I see these clips and it's just people being over the top stupid, doing stupid stuff and my kids think it's hilarious. If I do the same thing at home, my kids think it's stupid and I'm being annoying.....then they go back seeing the same $hit on youtube that I just did for them in person and they're laughing their heads off.

The world has gone to total $hit... and these new generations are the perfect product of this wonderful new world.

Back