zapSetup_70_337_000_en.exe update problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltheart

I've been using Zone Alarm Pro for a long time. It has never given me as much trouble as the latest update.

Yesterday, I accepted the latest update, and installed it as an update rather than a clean install. On reboot, despite mailsafe being turned off, Zone alarm installed email client toolbars, removeable in Outlook, but not in Outlook Expresss, and shifted a significant portion of my Outlook Express emails into a Zone Alarm Spam folder, and a number of others into a Zone Alarm Phishing folder. A screen initially loaded, with both Outlook email clients, wanting to create a Spam and Blocked senders list. When I allowed it, thats when the trouble started.

It shifted messages as described, and when I tried to restore them, they disappeared altogether. Very bad news for a Festival contact address.

I decided to uninstall it, and revert to the previous version. That's when I discovered that Zone Alarm is like a bad tenant who moves out but leaves piles of trash behind. The stuff left behind would not allow me to reinstall the previous version, and gave error messages about various .dll files ZA claimed were missing.

There are files left behind in a number of places, and the fresh install of the older version left the incompatible newer ones in place, some of them with links to other .dll files that the uninstall did remove. There are a number of vs* files and others left in C:\WINNT\system32 (right click, properties to check they belong to ZA) C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs that create further difficulties.

I have, after 12 hours, managed to get back to a functioning version created by zapSetup_65_737_000_en.exe.

Has anyone else had problems with this, or was it just my install? Is this ZA email filtering meant to function with Mailsafe turned off?

Would I be better off activating the hardware firewall in my D-Link DSL-504T modem? Would that be as effective as ZA?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The first thing you should try is a system restore to before the Zonealarm update and see if that helps.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Blunt axe method

Thanks Howard. You are totally correct, but in my panic, I definitely did it the tedious way, completely forgetting system restore. Doh! So often I forget the simpler solutions. It all works fine now. I have since disabled ZoneAlarms update function.

Cannot yet decide whether to change to hardware firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back