TechSpot

Zero-day Windows bug blamed for Duqu virus infections

By Leeky
Nov 2, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is on the hot seat over a previously unknown bug in its Windows operating system that's being exploited to infect computers with the Duqu virus, piped by some experts…

Read the whole story

2. anyone notice how China never gets hit with these corporate and national level attacks.. rest of the world needs to grow some balls and take these chinese to task.. hard,firewall the whole country.

3. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 376   +43

The US and European countries prefer to stick to more legal types of gathering information and ways that are much less traceable. Anything you put on a hard drive stays there unless you melt the hard drive in a furnace at 10,000 degrees (F). You could always use one of those eraser programs, but you can obviously tell something was wiped then, showing an intrusion was made.

4. tehbanz

tehbanz TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

Oh yeah, time to make the big $$$ off frantic end users scared shitless about the Duqu virus.

5. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

More like MS loses money from having a critical exploit that allows code execution in their damn word processing program.

6. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

And I was so close to having my nuclear power plant go online...

7. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

it must be nice to see the world in such a blissfully simple way. If anything, America needs to get off its *** and try to catch up with China in terms of IT expertise.

8. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

I was thinking the same thing :/

9. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

CIA written all over it

10. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

How is this a virus?

Have definitions changed since I left my computer to grab a beverage…

11. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

Partially true, i.e. they prefer to remain 'less traceable' if not entirely 'un-traceable'. I don't buy that argument that no western country get involved in such practices, simply because they wouldn't want to get caught by surprise or something.

12. I agree, we should put a strong checks for known malware, hacking countries and allow only legitimate traffic. If a hacking is found, ban those IPs and penalize the countries for their failure.

13. This is quite simply a myth propagated (obviously quite successfully) by certain unscrupulous companies wishing to profit from unnecessary data shredding and "multiple pass" disk wiping shitware utilities.

If you do a simple zero fill of a hard disk, or use the manufacturer's free utility to perform a low level format, the data is gone for good. It doesn't really matter who you call, whether it's the FBI, CIA, MI6 or Ghostbusters, the data is not coming back, because you have changed every 1 to a 0. There is no subliminal or residual data layer, if there were, hard disk manufacturers would have exploited it decades ago to create multi layer discs with vastly larger capacities. Zero fill is enough.

14. Thumbs UP...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.