TechSpot

Zero-day Windows Vista, 7 vulnerability discovered

By Matthew
Sep 8, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Update: CNET has reported that Microsoft said the flaw does not affect the final version of Windows 7.

Read the whole story
  2. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

If they spent all their time figuring this out on the RC, that was NT Kernel 6.1 (just above Vista) and the release won't be involved as it will be 7.0 (they say there won't be any changes, but come on.)
    Then again, could just be another non-Linux OS thats destroyable out of the box. Not like OSX is any safer by any stretch of the imagination.
  3. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 717   +28

stuff this "no one is currently using this" line - fix plx ms.
  4. NunjaBusiness

NunjaBusiness TS Rookie Posts: 49

"has successfully tested the proof-of-concept code, which caused a reboot on Vista -- but did not work on Windows 7."
    I guess my idea of "success" is different from theirs.
  5. isamuelson

isamuelson TS Rookie Posts: 96

Isn't the headline misleading? It appears to be stating that Windows 7 is vulnerable to this exploit when in fact, it's not.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10347289-56.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0
  6. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,061   +84 Staff Member

According to the linked report, it does not affect the "final version of Windows 7" -- if I am understanding that correctly, then I assume it still affects the RC and any other pre-release build.

Also as a side note, CNET's article was published many hours after ours (with new details that presumably weren't available when the TechSpot post went live). I will update the TechSpot post with CNET's report, but the title will remain intact. Thanks.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.