Zip file isn't being read correctly?

By pyromaster114
Jan 4, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, so I have a computer that is running windows vista home premium.
    I put a zip file on it from a flash drive. I have transfered the file countless times from the flash drive to other computers, and they extract all the files inside it fine.

However THIS one only sees / extracts like 3 of the 10 files inside the .zip file...
    What the @#%^ is going on?
    I've never experienced such a retarded problem that doesn't make any sense before... everything looks right, the zip file is the correct size in both places...
    I don't get it...
  2. pyromaster114

pyromaster114 TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 395

Okay well I figured out that I can get it to extract the files IF and ONLY IF i tell it to view the hidden files and folders...
    What kind of bug is that? Microsoft really should fix that...
    Any idea why it does that?
  3. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,711

It is not a bug - Windows will hide system files and folders as default to stop people fiddling with them. You can also set files and folders as hidden that are not system files - Vista is known for being ultra protective so I am not surprised that it has set some of your files as hidden simply because of the file extension.
    Don't worry - change the attributes so it does not happen again.
  4. pyromaster114

pyromaster114 TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 395

I still find it strange that vista decides that it isn't going to extract the files that aren't shown to the user...
    But then again it asked me if I wanted to run that exe file twice... so I guess it's just THAT protective to prevent some sort of problems... (apparently to no avail...)
    But oh well... I guess I has to not make files i want extracted hidden...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.