Zune HD prices leaked, start at $220 for 16GB model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Microsoft’s upcoming Zune HD has seen a lot of good press in recent weeks. Its high-quality OLED screen along with the HD video support and souped-up graphics are just a few of the things that may give it an edge over the iPod touch. Now, thanks to some shots of the Best Buy inventory system obtained by Gizmodo and a subsequent leak by Amazon we also know what the portable media player will cost.

According to reports, come September 8 there will be a 16GB model selling for $220 and a 32GB model priced at $290 – color options appear to be black and silver. This puts the Zune HD well under the price tag of an iPod touch which rings in significantly higher at $299 and $399 for those sizes.

But Microsoft may not have the upper hand for long since Apple typically announces changes to its iPod lineup in the fall. The Cupertino-based company could drop the price of its touch screen media player around the time Microsoft’s device launches, or perhaps maintain it with hopes that the rumored microphone and camera on an upcoming model will make up for the difference. We’ll just have to wait and see – for now you can watch a short video showing the Zune HD’s interface and media playback after the break.

Permalink to story.

Buy.com lists the Zune HD release date as September 15th.

http://www.buy.com/toc/zune/67154.html?1=1

When I recently bought an MP3 player for $15 at Frys, I wonder what planet some people are from. $220 for crappy sound? I bought my 5 channel computer sound system for less than that. And you hear this sound thru earbuds?

Guest said:
When I recently bought an MP3 player for $15 at Frys, I wonder what planet some people are from. $220 for crappy sound? I bought my 5 channel computer sound system for less than that. And you hear this sound thru earbuds?

You obviously haven't owned a high end MP3 player. The earbuds are included so people can start enjoying the music immediately. Most intelligent people realize the earbuds are crap and will purchase a better solution. Now sign up for an TS account already.

Guest said:

You obviously haven't owned a high end MP3 player. The earbuds are included so people can start enjoying the music immediately. Most intelligent people realize the earbuds are crap and will purchase a better solution. Now sign up for an TS account already.

Microsoft gets all the press on the Zune that it wants to buy... there is no restriction on big money

the apple peeps are gonna counter the zune hd bigtime cuz there is no way they are gonna let microsoft **** on their precious ipod. iphone hd anyone?

Yeah, I see people walking around with their 300 dollar mp3 players and then i see them with their crappy earbuds. That just makes me think that they are just throwing their money away. If you truly appreciate the music coming out of that moneybox, then buy better earbuds.

Even 20 dollars can get you really good buds.

But damn, the Zune is that cheap? 0-o I read some other article and it said that it would be the same price as iTouch. haha, better for me, I get to save =D

$220 for the 16GB is an ok price but im sick of MP3 players with flash drives. Whats so bad about using mini hard drives? I have the zune 30gb and have it completely filled up, 16GB would be painful to me.

zion21 said:
$220 for the 16GB is an ok price but im sick of MP3 players with flash drives. Whats so bad about using mini hard drives? I have the zune 30gb and have it completely filled up, 16GB would be painful to me.
The main attractions are the ability to make the device slimmer, and no moving parts should help extend the life of the device.

Good prices, but personally anything below 30gb for myself is simply to small. Curious to know if the second generation Zune's are gonna drop in price with the next gen coming this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back