More on WinXP SP2

By on August 14, 2004, 2:53 AM
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) introduces a number of new features that help increase the performance and the security of your system. These changes also affect the operations and functionality of some programs.

Programs that may behave differently in Windows XP Service Pack 2 @ Microsoft.com.

Also, PC World is at it again with a report on SP2's improved Windows firewall. The article quotes impressions from certain 'industry observers' who say protection from the built-in firewall falls short compared to other commercial products... IMHO, the new firewall is a great addition especially considering it's activated by default, however if you are slightly more educated than the average home user then you know you should at least be running the free version of Zone Alarm.

realblackstuff said:
And people STILL think that XP is the greatest thing since sliced bread?Give me good old Windows 2000 Pro anytime.That XP-junk will never appear on my machines.
BrownPaper said:
Oh man there are a lot of programs that don't work right with SP2!
Nic said:
You want better security? Then you're just going to have to put up with any issues that occur. So far I've only experienced one issue (the latest nVidia IDE drivers caused my PC to spontaneously reboot, so I had to revert back to the Microsoft drivers), otherwise I think SP2 is well worth installing, because security is very important. You can't have it both ways.:)
Supra said:
Strakian said:
SP2 messes with a lot of software... I thought they tested this? As for Security... I don't think it's THAT important. Some people are paranoid about security loop holes and they seem to take it more seriously than anyone else. I've had trojans and blah blah, but as long as you're aware, , you can handle it... right?
Unregistered said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Strakian [/i]I've had trojans and blah blah, but as long as you're aware, , you can handle it... right? [/quote] But are 90% of the computer users out there aware of the problem? No, most of them are not.Because if they were, we wouldn't have the problem of virus and trojans that we have today.This is an enthusiast site, and as such it's easy to forget that not everyone else has as much knowledge about computers as we do. So I think SP2 is a step in the right direction, considering most computer users are not enthusiast, and we don't want to revert back to the days when most were (as then hardware and software didn't evolve as fast)...
Strakian said:
I wasn't refering to other people, I was refering to myself. ;) Obviously most users don't have a clue about this stuff, and sure it's good for them, but I don't think it's worht it for me, not yet anyway.
steiner said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Supra [/i]One problem ive run into with SP2 is when I'm using BitTornado my computer only lasts from 10 minutes to an hour before it spontaneously reboots. Its kind of annoying when I have to restart downloads right after they get up to speed. [/quote] that's not SP2.I bet you have ZoneAlarm installed......do you?
Supra said:
[quote]I bet you have ZoneAlarm installed......do you?[/quote] Actually no, I only have a hardware firewall. I researched the problem a little more and found out that SP2 limits the number of concurrent TCP/IP connections to 10 and bittornado requires much more than that. I increased the number to 50 and now it lasts for several hours before it reboots. I may try to increase it to 100 and see if it does better.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
Hmm.. limiting connections is one thing.. fixing security holes is another ;)
lalaji said:
Am I the only one who finds it somewhat amusing that among the vast amounts of programs that dont get along with SP2 a good amount of Microsoft products are on the list? Way to go guys!
SNGX1275 said:
So its going to break:StarcraftNeroOutlookMax Payne 2and basically any Norton product you have on your system...That doesn't provide me with much encouragement to upgrade.
lalaji said:
Same here SNGX... i think ill wait a while for a more friendly release to come out.
Nic said:
If you read the list, then you'd see that sp2 doesn't break all the programs on the list. For many of the programs listed, sp2 simply requires that users check their firewall settings etc. I am running Norton AV, and Outlook 2003, which are on the list, yet they are working fine for me. SP2 check that your AV software virus definitions are up to date and warns you whenever new definition files are available. This only works if you AV software is compatable with SP2. Hardly an issue as you can switch off notifications. I've yet to find anything significant that won't work with SP2, though I am sure it will happen.
SNGX1275 said:
Yeh I can read. I know things still can work, but there has to be some issue or they wouldn't have made the list. In most cases I'm sure a patch or upgrade will be sufficient. But when you are on dial up on your home machine its a bit of an inconvienience to download and install patches for every piece of software that no longer functions properly under SP2.
Phantasm66 said:
Does it say "Microsoft Windows XP" on the list? Coz, all I have wanted to do since installing SP2 is format and reinstall.
StormBringer said:
I seem to remember a similar list of broken apps shortly after XP was initially released, and you people sound surprised. Also, SP2 has just been released, actually it isn't even available on windows update for most users yet, you have to expect it to break everything, its the MS way. When XP was released it broke half your apps, later some updates fixed most of it. SP1 did the same, and now SP2 is going to do the same, why do you think "Big Blue" hasn't updated any of its internal machines to SP2 yet? I can also tell you that Dell hasn't updated to SP2 yet and won't be anytime soon on its internal systems, or its support systems.