A real life Matrix?

By Derek Sooman on April 7, 2005, 12:04 PM
A real life Matrix, just like the one in the movie with Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss might be on its way, thanks to a new innovation from Sony. They have taken out a patent on an idea for transmitting data directly into the brain. A person would be able, for example, to hear, smell, taste and even feel a computer game, or experience a movie happening around them.

I would imagine that its all pretty much on the drawing board as things stand currently, but according to the (fairly brief) details on the patent, the technology would fire pulses of ultrasound at the head to modify the firing patterns of neurons in targeted parts of the brain. No implants or surgery would be necessary.

vfxraven19 said:
Sounds like that PS2 commercial they had a long time ago where they were showing the PS9 nanomachines that went into the player's brain to interact with the game...
---agissi--- said:
lol you could do some REALLY bad things with that, if it got into the wrong hands.. basically keep someone in the Hell itself, Doom. :| Now thats scary.And you wont get radiation (sickness) right? =D I could see someting like that being found a year after its been out.
Nic said:
Kids would no longer need to attend school...the possibilities are endless...lol
jos said:
We could all know Kung Fu
---agissi--- said:
lol guys it cant teach you things.. you could do kung fu, but only while your hooked up / receving pulses.
Electrick Gypsy said:
I had to read that several times before I realised what Sony have actually done. The hardware could still be decades away.The section that basically says it all is.....""patent on an idea""...so the way I read it is that Sony have only taken a patent out on the idea.I could be wrong though, I didn't know you could patent ideas.Maybe I should take a few hundred out myself :)
phantasm66 said:
Well, I did say that I would imagine that its all pretty much on the drawing board.
Nic said:
Phantasm66 said:
I did post everywhere as P66 but we felt that my real name would be more professional for the front page.
Julio said:
[b]Originally posted by Nic:[/b][quote]P66: I never clicked before, but from your last comment it seems that you are phantom poster Derek Sooman. How come you use your real name for posting news, but not for posting on other boards? Kind of confusing. Why didn't I pick up on this sooner? Doh!. I must be brain dead... :=).[/quote]Derek is a long standing member of the TS forum (3+ years). later he became part of the staff after he'd been around for most of that time. Phantasm66 is his forum nickname (which is the account used for forum and comments posting) while for the news and our site backend he uses his realname.Sorry for the confusion however most people that have been visiting the site for a while know Derek already ;).
phantasm66 said:
Thank God! At last I finally have some friends! ;)
Nic said:
The thing that confused me was that he replies to his own news posts using his forum name rather than the original posting name. Oh, and he's doing a great job with the frontpage news. I read the column every day...which brings me on to another point...Can we have the latest replied-to postings back on the front page again?You probably noticed that I don't post much now, maily because it involves clicking through several links to get to the forum, just to check if there is anything interesting to reply to. Previously, I only had to click on any interesting link on the front page, which would always show that last five posts. Just a thought. At least now I have more spare time seeing as I mainly tend to read the front page news and reply to those stories.[Edited by Nic on 2005-04-09 08:00:30][Edited by Nic on 2005-04-09 08:01:23][Edited by Nic on 2005-04-09 08:02:07]
Electrick Gypsy said:
Actually . . . the Matrix has had phantasm66 for a very long time.