AMD preps for M2 launch in April 2006

By Justin Mann on December 14, 2005, 6:07 PM
In April of next year, AMD will be releasing the next line of its series of CPUs, including DDR2-supporting processors and chipsets. Roughly 25% of AMD's volume by the second half of next year will be DDR2-based, as the M2 socket is slowly phased in over the next year. The M2 will be the desktop aversion of the socket, with the server variety for Opteron being Socket F, and the mobile variety being Socket S1, so at first there seems to be no possibility of interchanging desktop and mobile CPUs, unlike some current situations today. How the release of the next gen socket will affect the prices of 939 motherboards and CPUs isn't clear, but ultimately it will lead to a reduction in the cost of 939 based solutions. The release for both desktop and mobile platforms is expected to be around the same time.

iantony said:
I think people will be very interested in not just the performance of the next generation processors, but also the power requirements. If processors keep growing in power requirements as they have been, we're going to start to see a significant effect on future electricity bills! The move to 65 nm and 90 nm will help to reduce power requirements of course, but it would be good to see the industry taking more of an interest in the impact that they have on the environment.[Edited by iantony on 2005-12-14 18:42:25]
DragonMaster said:
VIA C7 and VIA S3 Chrome S27 are good examples of low power req. hardware.
barfarf said:
Power requirements is really becoming a bigger deal. At my work (a hospital) due to high energy costs we have started to implement shutting down the PC and other power saving options. On a personal side. I want a new computer. And i waiting for the 2nd generation dual core to upgrade. I just wish the M2 would come out sooner.
spike said:
[quote]The M2 will be the desktop aversion of the socket[/quote]Oops. I shall avert my eyes from that apparently mistyped 'a', assuming of course that it's not really meant to say that the M2 is a desktop processor that people will avoid for this particular socket, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't what was meant.
tarun123v said:
AMD is already Late for DDR2 as DDR2 is implemented by the rival Intel in it's 945,955 chipset and the upcoming 975(coming before M2)but intel is behind in FSB front as AMD 's FSB is touching 2000MHz Intels one is 1064MHz
rob2000 said:
Masque said:
[b]Originally posted by rob2000:[/b][quote]man i was just planning a new system on the x2 cpu, and if i read this right, next year my mobo and cpu wont last another system upgrade. i might wait till april, but then the new chips might be hard to find and pricey as hell. I was only looking at a x2+3800 and then upgrading to a faster one when prices are way down. i wish it said how long they planned to produce them for before completely phasing out.[/quote]Problem with that theory is that upgrading is a constant. I'd wait a bit and still purchase what you're currently planning, but hopefully at a better price.
vnf4ultra said:
I wonder what M2 means for socket 754, will it be discontinued and then sempron cpus migrated to socket 939? I think ddr2 support will be nice, not that ddr2 is much faster, but it costs less in many cases than ddr. I wonder if m2 will have any single core cpus released for it, or if m2 will be a dual core only socket.
Mofoed said:
I would beleive AMD will just develop multicore CPU's and phase out the single cores. Too bad I just updated my entire system, but good news for AMD and hopefully this puts on pressure to Intel as both churn out great products as they compete, hence better stuff for us
Kev_Boy said:
Does anybody know what those letters stand for?M, F and SA little like GT and GS with Nvidia.. what is it with this industry and seemingly insane pre- or suffixes :D
spike said:
well, at a very rough guess, it may me that the 'M' stands for Multicore, and the '2' represents the number of cores inside it.
vnf4ultra said:
I recently heard that it will be called "AM2" now instead of M2, and also saw the processor lineup. Here's the link, interesting.[url]http://theinquirer.net/?article=28367[/url]
lso, from that article, it seems to imply that there will be semprons available for "AM2", as well, does that mean both 754 and 939 will be ditched, or will they continue on with 939 at the same time, and make it their budget socket.Another interesting point, the htt speed for "am2" cpus will be 333mhz, vs the 200mhz, we've come to be used to.I find it odd that a fx62 is only 67mhz faster than a fx60.Time will tell how this all works out though.[Edited by vnf4ultra on 2005-12-15 09:59:44]
mentaljedi said:
In the end, we'll need more information to decide. I want to buy a new computer during the summer but with information like this, it makes you want to take a step back. Also, i don't like the idea of computers needing more and more power, it's expensive and damages the enviroment. Unfortunatly, only money matters to these giants...
mirob said:
The move to 65nm prosses has lowered power consumption. Intel is by far leading in this and as I have read are starting devolopment of 45nm chips. Intel is moving to smaller, cooler, a less power consuming desktop designs.AMD is realy on top now and with AM2, but times are changing again. Conroe is comming.I'm ready for a AM2, my motherboard will support it. But is it worth it? Amd has cut production of some lower end 939 cpus, I gess for the manufacturing space for these new ones. Hope there will be chips I can afford.[Edited by mirob on 2005-12-18 18:08:31]
mirob said: