Microsoft to cease Mac IE Support

By Derek Sooman on December 19, 2005, 1:01 PM
Microsoft has announced that as from December 31, they will cease to support the Mac OS X version of Internet Explorer. The company is recommending that Mac OS X users browse the Net with Apple's Safari instead. The Mac version of IE is pretty out of date, and has not had an update in three years – hardly the kind of thing suitable for today’s Internet, which is plagued with all sorts of security hole exploiting badness.

Web sites designed to work only with IE might have a problem; however more and more developers are looking to create Web sites that are standards-compliant and browser-independent, in order to avoid losing a large proportion of the market which incidentally does not use IE.

PanicX said:
Bartzy said:
Mac's are certainly not a minority. Many people use it, whether private or business related (Like graphic design, video editing etc). So Microsoft stopped their IE for Mac's. Boohoo, I'm sure every Mac owner is shaking now. They are using Safari anyway. IE is pretty bad with updates (that pop online every 2 days), so with 3 years without updates - It's better to call hackers and ask them to ruin your computer.When Microsoft will understand that the days where it was the only company in the market passed ?
barfarf said:
i agree with you PanicX. Microsoft should have their flagship brower on Mac. hmm strange. I guess no money in it. Well firefox 1.5 have better compatibility for the mac too so i say stick with that.
PanicX said:
[b]Originally posted by Bartzy:[/b][quote]Mac's are certainly not a minority. Many people use it, whether private or business related (Like graphic design, video editing etc).[/quote]Mac is definitely a minority. The latest market share figures have Apple at about 4.4% which is the highest I've ever seen it, but no where near close to being a big player. While I agree that many people use them, over 4.5 million Apples shipped in 2005, when compared to the numbers that Microsoft deals with, Apple is fairly insignificant. [url=http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?a
ticleID=175006326&_loopback=1] Information Week Article[/url]
sngx1275 said:
Heh, the last time I used IE on the mac was about 3 years ago. Guess not much has changed with IE since then.Although I think safari is a horrible browser. Its ugly, and I never quite have figured out its tabs. I'm using Opera 8.51 on my mac right now.
DragonMaster said:
[quote]Guess not much has changed with IE since then.[/quote]No, on the iMac G5 I use every 2 weeks, it's icon is still bouncing, waiting it to start. (In reality, every time you use it the icon starts bouncing on the dock and nothing happens...)IMO Safari is not a good browser. Most pages aren't rendeered correctly.
nathanskywalker said:
Well,i don't know anything about the browser they are suggesting, but they might as well cease their efforts on Ie. unles they were going to try something a little more, revolutionary... I mean, I.E is just so vulnerable now. I've been using firefox since, well for awhile. I.E= :(
Mictlantecuhtli said:
171546&cid=14288661]A story from Mac IE worker[/url]
nathanskywalker said:
[b]Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by PanicX:[/b][quote]I can't help but be perplexed by this. Microsofts role is normally crush the competitors, ignore the security flaws, and rake in the monies. Has Mac become such a minority that it's fallen completely below the MS radar? Why do they get to be so lucky?[/quote][url=http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid
171546&cid=14288661]A story from Mac IE worker[/url][/quote]lol, indecisive group they are. Trying to make money, and in doing so figure out which program would be the best to develope, then they let one go to develpoe the other, then the pick the other back out of the dirt. Wow.
mentaljedi said:
I use Internet Explorer on Windows Xp with my Dell computer and thankfully, its okay. No probelms really. I guess Microsoft just don't see any point with Mac users. Though why bother removing it. I say they're going to release something better.