System requirements for Windows 11 "AI Explorer" leaked, could be exclusive to Arm devices

DragonSlayer101

Staff
The big picture: Spurred by the success of ChatGPT, Microsoft has been integrating various AI experiences into Windows 11 despite pushback from some users. While most of its efforts are centered around the Copilot app, the company is also expected to roll out a so-called "AI Explorer" feature as it prepares for "the year of the AI PC."

While Microsoft is yet to release an official statement on AI Explorer, a leak has now seemingly revealed the minimum system requirements for PCs to run the new feature. The leak comes from noted Windows Insider Albacore, who says strings of code within the latest Windows 11 Build 26100 Beta hints at the minimum system specs for the upcoming feature.

According to the tipster's X post, the minimum system requirements to run AI Explorer on a Windows PC include a Snapdragon X Elite NPU, 16 GB of RAM, and a minimum 225 GB of total system drive space. The post also mentions that the device will require an Arm64 CPU to run AI Explorer, suggesting that the feature might be exclusive to Arm devices. With Microsoft remaining tight-lipped on the matter, it's unclear whether this feature will also be available for x86-64 PCs powered by Intel and AMD chips.

In case you're wondering about AI Explorer, it's rumored to be a Windows feature designed for AI PCs. According to sources quoted by Windows Central, it will be an AI-powered search tool that will use natural language processing to find files, apps, past conversations, and pretty much everything else on your PC.

As per the report, Microsoft insiders are describing the feature as an "advanced Copilot" with a built-in history/timeline feature, enabling users to search even previously-opened conversations across any supported app. For example, users could simply type "Which movie did Robbie watch last week," and Windows will display the exact conversation where Robbie talked about watching a movie.

Copilot may not have caught on with Windows users the way Microsoft would have liked, but the company is still going all-in on AI. In March, Redmond started adding a Copilot icon to the Windows Taskbar, leading to severe protests. Earlier this month, the company started quietly installing a Copilot app on Windows 11 PCs without notifying users, but it has since blamed a bug for the controversy and promised to remove the app in the near future.

Permalink to story:

If I can control my computer like they do in Star Trek: The Next Generation, that'd be very damn cool.

If I can control my computer like they do in Star Trek: The Next Generation, that'd be very damn cool.
Annoyingly voice recognition is the one aspect that seems to make absolutely no progress. At least not on Amazon's part.
Trying to quickly add something to the shopping list using Alexa often results in me giving up and grabbing my phone instead. Getting it to play music by lesser known bands seems like an impossible task sometimes.

"exclusive to Arm devices"

Good. It can stay there.

Won't matter to MS , as your new 2027 Intel or AMD SOC will come with an ARM module.
These companies are not investing in these newer techs like programmable arrays etc just for fun.
SOCs to grow and become needy will get lots of addons, Big cores , little cores , AI cores , Arm cores etc etc .

Maybe the motherboards evolve. north bridge , south bridge , east and west bridge etc

A privacy invasion of the highest order. Everything you do, recorded and sent to MS.

Linux never looked so good.
Oh get a grip. Who gives a ff. If someone wants to spy on me that's their own life they are wasting, because my life is boring af. lol

Only people that care and have privacy concerns are those doing something that they shouldn't and don't want to get caught, it is that simple.

First and foremost, “AI Explorer” has nothing to do with File Explorer. Instead, it’s similar to the Windows 10 Timeline feature. It will try to log everything you do on your PC, such as your tasks, meetings, browsing history, and email, and make them searchable.
Quote from source material that IMO illustrates clearly what this will be.

I wonder if it will be finally year of Linux. Probably not as seen here in some comments that people are fine when someone else puts probe into their rear end.

Windows was invented with profiling its users in mind. There's so much info stored in registry.
With the new AI you give the right to fully monitor and store all of your activities. If you want to, nothing's mandatory. If it's a separate device it's up to you if you purchase it. There also exist people who have a hobby of gutting Windows - there's a custom OS for every taste. Until Microsoft starts flexing even more with its monopoly.

Linux? People are used to whining how bad Windows is and finding 3rd-party solutions to issues-annoyances. A mass migration to Linux will never happen as long as Microsoft exists.

Every collected detail about the people matter. Everything contributes to finetuning the mass control. Having a "boring life" is also considered. Every digital fingerprint has contributed to current world calamities.

Back