Xbox 360 a hard sell in Tokyo

By Justin Mann on December 19, 2005, 1:08 PM
Despite the incredible demand for the Xbox 360 in Europe and the U.S., over in Japan the release of the new console has been almost hum-drum, with a display stand in one of the largest electronic stores in the world for it going almost unnoticed. Sales have been low for the 360, which is somewhat surprising. The reason cited for the lonely console?

”It is not hard to figure out why. Lined up on a rack near the display are the only nine games sold for Xbox 360. But behind it are some 3,000 games, spread across six store aisles, for Microsoft's biggest rival here: the Sony PlayStation 2.”
Aside from the perceived lack of content, a big issue in Japan is not having an alternative, and many are choosing to wait until the release of the PlayStation 3 before deciding what console to nab. Unlike in the U.S. where demand far exceeded supply, less than half of the available 360s sold during opening day in Japan. This is similar to what occurred during the release of the original Xbox. Overall, Microsoft is having a hard time competing with Sony and Nintendo, both of which have strong roots in Japan. How the hardware will continue to fare, only time will tell.

PanicX said:
After reading stories of Microsoft intentionally planning shortages of the console here in the US as a marketing ploy. I'm really quite glad it bit them in the end in the Japanese market.
Bartzy said:
This news item is a bit similiar to the older one about the shortage of Xbox 360 in Japan.So Microsoft is loosing money for each console it sells (A third more ! [url]http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/24/xbox360_compone
t_breakdown/)[/url] and can't even sell it ? Great. Wonderful marketing approach. Anyway, the Games problem is indeed bad, I didn't think nor knew about it till now. It's a shame, because the 360 really is a great console...
donnagual said:
I live here in Japan, and work with junior high school kids. I have asked around, and barely any of them have any interest in the Xbox. Why would they? PlayStation3 is Japanese. Made in Japan. Their pride and joy. Japanese people love Japanese products, and this goes very deep in the culture.
Subservient said:
Like donna said, Microsoft has no reputation in Japan. Sony is far more popular because it's products are manufacted in Japan. Microsoft doesn't need the money anyways. If you ask me, they need an ego change lol. They think they can rule the PC and the Console world? Ha! Good luck.
DragonMaster said:
They can.AFAIK, Japan is not a major part of the global population.[quote]Sony is far more popular because it's products are manufacted in Japan[/quote] That was true 8 years ago but not anymore. (Maybe not in Japan tho)The Sony we have here lasts at most until 1 week after the end of the warranty.M$ loses money? We should all buy some but no games then.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
Already posted: [url=http://www.techspot.com/news/19767-oversupply-of-xbox-3
0-in-japan.html]Oversupply of Xbox 360 in Japan[/url]
nerdman3368 said:
I'm waiting for the ps3.I could care less on spending $400 on a 360 . I don't like online games much either.There are people in the us that don't want a 360 just like me.I'll wait until its around $150 then I'll consider it. I just spent $1800 on pc upgrades!=)
Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Yeah well, when the PS3 comes out, the 360 will probably be around $250 which would make it a more attractive buy than the PS3, which would retail for much higher than the Xbox 360's original retail price of $400. Also, games on the PS3 will be expensive, since they will need Blu-Ray discs. Those discs are comparatively more expensive than DVD-Rs. So, I think the 360 has a slight edge over the PS3 in this case.And IMO, the Japanese can make great cars and technology, but I don't find many of their games very good, aside from the Metal Gear series. And some of them are just plain wierd! I guess they just think differently and more than hating just Microsoft, I think they hate the whole of the United States.
asphix said:
Microsoft has its work cut out for it in Japan. What hurt them the most was the delays of a couple key games. The only game that really appealed to the Japanese masses on launch was RidgeRacer 6.In the long run I do believe Microsoft will do good. They have much stronger Asian developer support this time around, and now that they have a better foundation to work with in the form of 3rd party developer support, 1st party developer support (microsoft game studios) and a name in the console gaming arena, Microsoft has more room to strike deals and make developing games for their platform more attractive.Any intentional supply shortages in the U.S. and Europe are pure rumor. Unless you consider attempting a world wide launch a stock conspiracy.Rage3k, you are absolutely right that the Japanese market likes different games than those of us in the West. We tent to like shooters, action/adventures and platformers mostly where as the Japanese public loves RPG's, fighters and just about anything with a timed run.I've also noticed they tend to like offline content more than online content. We'll see if x360 can change that.[Edited by asphix on 2005-12-20 08:04:32]
mofoed said:
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by mofoed:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by DragonMaster:[/b][quote]AFAIK, Japan is not a major part of the global population.[/quote]true Japan is not a major part of world pop. but when it comes to video games, they are a major part, it doesn't matter abotu pop. but to gaming dollars. Japan is just up to par with video gamers as N. America. So if your a console seller you better hope for a good sell in Japan. Of course its tough for Xbox 360 since the 1st Xbox over there didn't do so well and with the 360 now, the there are too few launch titles and they are not exactly blockbuster titles either, hopefully when the PS3 comes out they can compete with it with selling more titles. Really what makes or breaks a console systems are the games. As for myself, I will wait till the PS3 comes then decide, but I will most likely go with PS3 unless I see the titles for the 360 to be great. Right now they are really lackign there, not one game appeals to me, until then i am happy with my PS2 and my PC. [Edited by mofoed on 2005-12-20 09:35:37][/quote]Japan first and foremost is all about tradition and technology (funny that eh?) Nintendo is the daddy and Sony is the excptionally bright son tryign to be better than its dad and seems to be doing so. Microsoft is the big fat son who sits in his room snacking, playing on Windows XP, and hoping people will sign onto his forum.I don't hate Xbox, but it seriously needs to work on its stragety. No games? Then don't release it. You can tell Nintendo and Sony both are working hard on the games as the hardware is pretty much done by now. Microsoft thought, oh loks its done, releases it and then says, oh well. they can play the old games until we we're ready and hope that a $400 console is not much of a hole in everyday people's pockets. Come on!Sony is the most practical and Nintendo is certainly the most inventive and popular when it comes to first party games. Watch and see how the Xbox360 reveals all its problems within the next few days. Just watch!