New DivX codec supports dual-core hardware and HT

By Justin Mann on December 20, 2005, 11:58 AM
DivX is one of the most commonly used codecs for video content on the computer today. It's very popular for use in making large video files from DVDs, something anyone that has created a media machine would be familiar with. Since media machines are not always the fastest available, efficiency is key with codecs. Last week, we saw the new 6.1 version of DivX released.

While claiming to be “14% to 80%” faster, definitely good for very hi-res files, what interested me more than speed boosts was support for HT and SMP, effectively giving it dual-core support. While this would mean threading, and you can't exactly thread single files, you can distribute load in other ways and apparently this new codec can. This might make extremely high-quality (such as HDTV content) content playable on midrange systems without suffering frameloss and without investing in newer video cards. Interesting stuff, and it is encouraging to see software begin to take advantage of multi-core systems.

Bartzy said:
I think the next generation in codecs is the H.264, which is definetely better than DivX and XviD. I think it supports HT as well. The quality is much better, so as the size of the file. It takes longer to encode it though...Anyway, I use FFDShow - It can decode and encode Divx, Xvid and much more codecs. It also improves the image quality while showing movies.
smtkr said:
H.264 is just an MPEG-2 replacement, where people who encode video with it will have to pay royalties (read: no free software to encode). No thanks; I'll stick with xvid until an open source alternative exists.
barfarf said:
asphix said:
[b]Originally posted by barfarf:[/b][quote]I wonder is there are any 6.0 dixv dvd players out there? I am thinking of getting one for my girl friend.[/quote]There are. http://www.p4c.philips.com/na4/d/dvdr3355_37/dvdr3355_37_pss
aen.pdf its compatable with Divx 3.11/4/5/6.xI'm sure there are plenty others.. that was just off a quick google search for "divx 6 dvd player" :)
Per Hansson said:
nathanskywalker said:
hmmm...... Better quality on divx would be nice, but how much more space is that going to take up? But better quality would be nice, i've seen really only a few divx, and some don't look so good when enhanced.
Subservient said:
[b]Originally posted by Per Hansson:[/b][quote]Just wondering if anyone using ffdshow has installed this new codec... I'm running ffdshow and do notice high CPU load on the newer Divx encoded movies found on, erm, my local video store ;)Though do not want to install this new one and find them conflicting with each other... (done that before, tried the new ffdshow then (not the 2002 version) and it was pure crap for a better description...)[/quote]Actually I saw that. The CPU load almost doubled on the newer movie.
smtkr said:
Don't use it. DivX isn't open source, so you can't know what the CPU is really doing at 100%. There's a reason all of the tv shows, etc. on file sharing networks are in xvid instead of divx.
bez said:
[b]Originally posted by barfarf:[/b][quote]I wonder is there are any 6.0 dixv dvd players out there? I am thinking of getting one for my girl friend.[/quote]Hi barfarf. I work at DivX, and I can tell you that all DivX Certified DVD players support playback of DivX 6 content. We deliberately designed the hardware certification to be forward compatible with new DivX versions.So yes, there are many DivX DVD players out there that support DivX 6. :-):bez
mentaljedi said:
Codecs are amazing. However, they will have their work cut out for them with all this new stuf coming out in 2006 such as HD, blue ray, Yonah, Vista, etc...