Parents risk large fines from online music

By Derek Sooman on December 22, 2005, 11:47 AM
The British Phonographic Industry (BPI) is warning that parents who give their children digital music players for Christmas face being hit by hefty fines if their kids download pirate tracks illegally. According to research released today, almost half of the music currently being listened to in digital players will be downloaded from sites that breach copyright laws. The BPI is warning parents to make sure that their kids use their players legally.

A spokesman from the BPI told Times Online: "We expect MP3 players to be a very popular gift this Christmas. It is essential that parents acquire the knowledge to make sure their children stay the right side of the law when they go online to get music to play on them

"The basic rule of thumb is that if something looks to good to be true, it is. Donít use sites that offer thousands of tracks for free."

PanicX said:
[quote]According to research released today, almost half of the music currently being listened to in digital players will be downloaded from sites that breach copyright laws.[/quote]What research? There's no listing in the article that states who these numbers are from, or where they got them. I can't help but be reminded of a line from Steven Wright, "42% of all statistics are made up."
vigilante said:
Thats funny and right on. So have you ever received a survey like this before?"We are an anonymous research firm, please answer some questions for us:1) Do you pirate software?2) Have you pirated Windows?3) Do you distribute pirated software?4) Do you listen to pirated music?5) Have you stold anything in the last month?Thank you for participating, please leave your name, number and address so you can be contacted."--Seems to me if somebody were pirating things, nobody would know about it, as they would do their best to hide it.Or maybe all MP3 players have a "phone home" feature that tells the government exactly what songs are on and if they are legal. Who knows?
MonkeyMan said:
lol, I don't think they actually think someone is that stupid, to where they would actually post info like that. There is really no way to stop ppl from pirating software, and the only thing they can do is threaten, but I don't think ppl will listen, and there's really nothing they can do about it lol.
DragonMaster said:
Do you think they even know that their kids is doing this?
nathanskywalker said:
hmm... i sincerely doubt most parents are anything more than clueless. However, even most that do know really don't care. People all want to have free software and music right??? Doesn't seem to occure to most people(or they don't care) that piracy will eventually colapse the music industry.
vnf4ultra said:
[b]Originally posted by DragonMaster:[/b][quote]Do you think they even know that their kids is doing this?[/quote]I doubt most know, and if they do know I doubt they think it's illegal. Some people I know sometimes will ask if I'll copy a music cd or dvd for them, and I have to explain to them that it's illegal to do so. Most of the time people are like, "I paid $xx dollars for the disc, so I should be able to do what I want," but sadly that's not how it is. Sort of like how you buy a copy of xp, but you don't actually own it, you're just allowed to use it for your own computer.
cyrax said:
They are really sad. How are they going to know if an mp3 is stolen? Wait people i think we should ask Sony. they should know everything about breaching security.
MonkeyMan said:
lol cyrax, that was a very aggressive tone you used there in your post lol. But hey, you maybe right in a sense.
asphix said:
This is funny coming directly after hearing that French parlament voted that filesharing of music and movies is OK in their country.
moralt3nacity said:
The theory applies to a lot of surveys. I recently saw a survey about teen smoking and pregnancy that had very low numbers. I cannot remember exactly what they were, however. It seems to me that if I was going to be breaking the law, that even if somebody told me I could be anonymous, I wouldn't want to answer. And I bet half of these surveys expect that type of result, so they can make results look better. Hmph.
mtyson8 said:
I think that downloading of music, even if it is illegal, is actually helping the music industry!! How do thay find out, most parents dont even know whats going on with there kids music, and how they get it.
blue_dragon said:
The government makes lawspeople make up the governmentpeople make laws to stop thmeselves from pirating?HAHA thats like saying "IM deciding to not breathe anymore"
phantasm66 said:
[b]Originally posted by nathanskywalker:[/b][quote]Doesn't seem to occure to most people(or they don't care) that piracy will eventually colapse the music industry.[/quote]Nonsense, people have been pirating music and movies for years. Its only recently that technologies has made it easier to do and easier to track and hunt down.
doomsweek said:
It's not like they will be caught that easily, righT? There are many children doing this, and it's not ALL of them that'll be caught. I even doubt that EVEN ONE will be caught. Tsk.
Masque said:
What's really funny is the fact that since the RIAA and friends are starting to get some negative feedback in the U.S. their overseas counterparts are trying to hammer-down. Kind of like...."okay, don't want to listen to us here? We'll show you we mean business......there!". Just freaking hilarious, I think.
osram said:
yes in switzerland recently some specialized lawyer/internet company is persecuting private users who download "illegal" mp3s too.well personally i download livesets in general, i do hardly download single tracks or albums at all. I have spent so much money on my underground techno vinyls, probably more than 2000.- swiss francs. and i hardly doubt any company would consider this fact when persecuting me because of 3 tracks, as the vinyls are commercial and i pay real money.. and work for it.. but they are not shown on viva, nor are they made by sony and co.illegal downloads destroying music industry is just plain rubbish. if the music industry keeps producing the same bullshit over and over again they dont have to wonder if many customers look out for the underground stuff, or realize market-economy sucks. they cant put all the cause on piracy.. just because they are too lousy to admit their lame marketing. Can you imagine how much money they make with serving poo for dinner to the standard-military-science-consumer?also: do you think some crappy newcomer band cares about mp3s being downloaded from them? they might be happy if people are paying more and more attention to their music and eventually buying a CD. Do you really believe those Companies persecuting private users will persecute them for newcomer music? no. because they win the money with big companies like sony, BMG and whatever they are called..applicable law should apply to everyone or every instance equally, and this is not the case. its all just about money. "yeah lets create some hype about piracy, study law&order, open a persecution company, bend laws to our favor, and do the real money laughing our asses off!"it is all a big LIE.period.
Chamot said:
I don't know, at least here in Turkey, it was always easy to pirate stuff by copying audio cassettes 20 years ago or so, and many people thought it was not wrong at any level. Now, piracy is still strong here due to the proximity of country to Eastern Bloc and a different sense of property here; but this actively forced morality shift is felt even here.Anyway, back in the day the users copying stuff were never seen as 'guilty' (even though law said they were), but the distribution sources were. It's interesting how digitization is turning some things upside down.
Subservient said:
So wait, let me catch up here.... is P2P software like Limewire being considered pirating software? If so, then [b]Shiver me timbers... ARRGGH!![/b]Personally, I think programs like Limewire and Kazaa are helping the music industry. Bands usually get thier first exposure through P2P programs. What if there were no illegal downloading?Say you're having a conversation with your friend on MSN Messenger and he/she says "Hey! Have you heard of the band called KISS?" and you say "Why, no! I've never heard of Gene Simmons and his fantastical voyages with women!!" You can't go download any KISS singles, you would have to buy the CD and then if you don't like the music then you lost $20.Seriously, if there were no illegal downloading, the music industry wouldn't be making profit. So, once agian, I say..[b]ARRRGHH MATEYS!! Welcome aboard my fine vessel, [i]The S.S Illegal Downloads[/i][/b] ;)
realblackstuff said:
[b]Originally posted by Subservient:[/b][quote]Personally, I think programs like Limewire and Kazaa are [b]helping the music industry[/b].Welcome aboard my fine vessel, [i]The S.S Illegal Downloads[/i][/quote]Bit short-sighted, wouldn't you think?And it's also hardly advisable to announce yourself as one of those pirating people!Do YOU know who all reads these comments?
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[quote][b]Originally posted by Subservient:[/b]Say you're having a conversation with your friend on MSN Messenger and he/she says "Hey! Have you heard of the band called KISS?" and you say "Why, no! I've never heard of Gene Simmons and his fantastical voyages with women!!" You can't go download any KISS singles, you would have to buy the CD and then if you don't like the music then you lost $20.[/quote]You lose $20 only if you won't sell the CD to someone else.I buy almost all of my music secondhand, and I hear about new artists from friends or from store recommendations. For example, some months ago in TechSpot's IRC channel, SNGX1275 was talking about how awesome Tegan & Sara is, so I ordered one album from Amazon.My latest order from there, placed yesterday:1 of This Business of Art [IMPORT] [Audio CD] Tegan and Sara, £6.371 of The Divine Comedy [IMPORT] [Audio CD] Milla, £4.351 of I Have Always Been Here Before: Anthology [Us Import] [Audio CD] Roky Erickson, £12.63Naturally, I could have downloaded all these from p2p networks if I had wanted to. Where does the $20 / album come from, I wonder?
osram said:
ok. so i should buy a vinyl for 10 euros without knowing how it sounds as a whole.. hearing 30 second samples on a vinylshop website from 1 out of 3-5 tracks. eeeerrr.seriously. nowadays many professional "djs" exchange their music in digital format.. using itunes for archiving features for instance (not for transfer or sale naturally, at least as far as i can imagine).and this is future. it is reality.. even if it is not "material". you cannot grasp it with your fingers, taste it.. or bite into it.its like saying: lets integrate foreign people into our society, and integrate even more people by opening the borders more and more.. but not being able to integrate the poor citizens of the own country into society.far off any reality-related sense.you cannot simply pick out the the good and sweet bits and leave the crap behind.. you always take the whole cake.so they should form laws which are worked-out thoroughly and can be applied in general view of all the aspects in first place.. and not simply pick the friggin sweets..and...[QUOTE]Bit short-sighted, wouldn't you think? And it's also hardly advisable to announce yourself as one of those pirating people! Do YOU know who all reads these comments?[/QUOTE]maybe short-sighted. but freedom should be the highest priority.. so it isnt wrong. so what if some1 reads those comments? there is (at least there should be) press-freedom and you can freely publish your thoughts..if some1 sues him for internet posts the person using internet information is illegal. a pirate, racist, fascist and absolutely egoistic/ignorant and abusive himself.could it be that someone in your family is possibly working as a government-employee? o.O[color=red]Edited because of bad language--Mictlantecuhtli[/color]
osram said:
ah yes sorry forgot some quote from some intellectual guy i cant remember the name of, and somehow i cannot edit my own message:"internet is the communism of information."
mentaljedi said:
Back to the subject, i don't think parents should be fined as they probably don't know about it! I think, the kids should just be forced to do cumminity service or something. You know, otherwise they will do it again saying "oh my parents will pay it, i won't get into trouble". He or she isn't actually being punished by the law, so they will think that the they can get away with it. If the kids are punished themselves, then they will be less inclined to do it again.
CrossFire851 said:
You really they will do anything. Because were the location of these thing are forign contrys (sever). There goverments want to run things how they want. What can we we do send them a thetting letter..... now I know it goes a bit further than this but still.
CrossFire851 said:
Instead of hit ppl w/ fruad get the ppl that own the p2p severs Someone said there was a 10 year old girl d music(the non-good way)and they couldn't sooe the child so they try to sooe the mother but he the media would eat it up she said shesaiddint know that her daghter was doing these things so they dint chage her w/ music fraud. But like I said thay should be hitting the owners of the p2p's the guy who owns bittorent has hes pic on the internet. Get those ppl. One more thing and I know your gonna critsis me but when I was on bittorenet the last time I was there,just backing up my game nothing bad now,they still had vids on there