Xbox 360 scams still going on

By Derek Sooman on December 22, 2005, 8:02 PM
Xbox 360 swindles still seem to be going strong, with many unscrupulous scammers offering the next generation consoles to anyone silly enough to buy them via auction on the Net. Short supply and high demand have left numerous gamers longing for the new Xbox, and being prepared to pay upwards of $800 for it. Many have been conned out of their hard earned cash, with one woman reportedly paying hundreds of dollars for a picture of the console.

That's exactly what has happened to a few shoppers desperate to get an Xbox 360 under the Christmas tree this year. eBay and other Web sites have multitudes of bidding wars going for the next-gen console, and the frenzy has attracted the cold hearts of those looking to take advantage of the situation. In a "cross-your-fingers-and-hope-someone-falls-for-it" scam, some tricksters on online auction site eBay have set up pages hawking what appear to be Xbox 360s.

blue_dragon said:
I think this is more illegal than downlaoding music for free
nathanskywalker said:
lol, personally i think that it is hilarious. I mean, if you can't just go get one at the store, than may your laziesness fall on your own head!!! ahahahahhaha
cyrax said:
CrossFire851 said:
Well I bet its says stuff like "factory silled" but at the bottum of the details I bet it sayed you would be bidding on a picture on one... So just saying it would be i n a way legal.
phantasm66 said:
vigilante said:
Man I wish I had a picture of a shrink wrapped 360 on my wall, that would look so nice next to my landscape picture.I should have bid on that. Dang the luck!
nathanskywalker said:
MonkeyMan said:
Well, that's probably the most unfortunate thing I've ever heard in my life I wish that there weren't ppl who scam other ppl to get what they want. You've got to be aware of these things, and also prevent yourself from making these mistakes, by reading closely to the content contained within them.[Edited by MonkeyMan on 2005-12-23 04:46:08]
doomsweek said:
[b]Originally posted by cyrax:[/b][quote]what about the guy who bid on a 360 for over 400 pounds (the currency)? it turned out it was a bid for a PICTURE of a 360. it was a slick scam[/quote]Hahaha! Who would buy a PICTURE of a 360?? What'll they do with that? Turn it into a poster? Hahaha!
Masque said:
Base point....people need to be just damn careful and second-guess/inspect what they're doing. They're so desperate that they fail to examine things. Seller ratings(actually read them), closely examining the the auction itself...it's all important to successful buying AND selling via the auction houses. Anymore, it's a buyer AND seller beware.
vnf4ultra said:
I don't think you could scam too many people like that on ebay, I bet the person who sold the pic of the xbox for hundreds of dollars, has a very bad rating now, and the more that person does it, the worse their rating will get.
asphix said:
Yeah, I'm not sure about illegal but I know ebay doesnt condone this behavior. They close down anyones account which does this that is brought to their attention.Its lame how greedy people are. I can understand selling an xbox for 800 bucks. Supply and demand.. if people are willing to spend that much, thats their problem. But to fool someone into thinking they're getting one thing and instead they get something else is nothing but greed and deception at its lowest.I'm happy I waited in line 14 hours for my x360 on launch day. I happily have my system and love it. As I always say, I'd rather wait 14 hours at once and get it over with than have to bother with trying to find one on a daily basis later.p.s. this kind of behavior reminds me of scammers on MMORPGS. Its funny how social environments like MMORPGS and ebay, which bridge many gaps (such as distance, exposure...etc) and are supposed to better our lives also serve to degrade them as well.
philop88 said:
Something like the xbox 360 coming out only months ago and suddenly appearing on a ebay aution site, come on, its an obvious thing its fake
dragonpac said:
If they bid hundreds of dollars on a picture, its not a scam. They should have read the auction before bidding. This is a case of lazyness and retardedness
Subservient said:
[b]Originally posted by cyrax:[/b][quote]what about the guy who bid on a 360 for over 400 pounds (the currency)? it turned out it was a bid for a PICTURE of a 360. it was a slick scam[/quote]What about the guy who read the full article and posted information from it to pass as a post?Anyways, these guys are smart. Like most people on eBay don't read the seller's disclaimers and they get caught up in scams like this one. Merry Christmas F**kers you deserve it! If you go into eBay without fully reading everything, expect to fall into a scam.
mtyson8 said:
Now, I understand how selling picture of a xbox for a lot of money is cold-hearted. But is the article talking about people who sell the real thing at a high price wrong?? Cause i dont think its wrong to sell one if you have a brand new sealed one, and you dont want it, and you sell it to the highest bidder.
Chamot said:
[b]Originally posted by nathanskywalker:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by phantasm66:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by blue_dragon:[/b][quote]I think this is more illegal than downlaoding music for free[/quote]That's the most intelligent thing I've heard in ages.[/quote]Hec,yah![/quote] Heh, except for the questionable concept of something being 'more illegal' than another. :)
barfarf said:
Wow. Mucho dinero for just a picture. Talk about a picture speaking a $1000 words. =) More like a $1000 dollars.
PanicX said:
If you actually read the article, you'll see that although the auction is selling a picture in no certain terms, when bidders contacted the auctioneer and asked for clarification, the auctioneer LIED and said they are auctioning a real XBOX 360. You can read the fine print until you're blue in the face, but if the auctioneer LIES about the auction then it's fraud. Fortunately most credit card companies will allow you to charge back fraudulent charges so no real damage is done.
mastronaut said:
This is exactly the reason I'm into PC gaming!!!
nathanskywalker said:
You know what, forget after christmas sales, I want to go buy a poster of an xbox 360 now, the i'm going to postit on my ceiling and laugh every night before i fall asleep!!! :)
michelena2000 said:
flavin said:
nathanskywalker said:
otmakus said:
If selling pictures of an XBOX 360 is illegal, then why is selling a spyware remover by advertising "warning, ur computer has been infected by malwares, click here to blablabla" not illegal?As long as they don't risk anything to get a profit, they will do it, it's just human nature.
PUTALE said:
XBOX 360 sure is making a huge news nowaday. it's a great little gaming console, too bad it's so expensive:). I rather play my pc games:)>
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by nathanskywalker:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by michelena2000:[/b][quote]It is sad that we have to experience such deception in our every day lives. Even our advanced age of electronics can't stop the human factor of deceit.[/quote]yes very much so. But human nature will not advance with technology, if anything we will just get worse. Course there hope, a hope that we can find in the true meaning of Christmas, not the gifts, the warm feeling(or stress lol), but in the original meaning; The Birth of Jesus Christ...[/quote]Right, ask any kid what they acosiate with Easter? THey say chocolate. Christmas? Presents. Birthday? Getting older and presents. ERm, they don't mean these things. It's all been exagerated by the media etc... till nothing is left. Sort of the same with the Xbox360. They forget its a thing, not your life. If you rush and are desperate enough to ignore the smallprint that says. "Oi you stupid *****! This is a picture!" then blame Microsoft more than the scammers for thinking they can create more hype by shortning their supply on purpose. (I know it's a rumour, but honestly, what do you think?)
FLAVIN said:
i think these people should be ashamed and arrested by the police.not everybody is as fortunate as everybody else is. and for the poor old schmo who went onto ebay and tried to get a good deal on a 360 for their kid for christmas and ended up gettin a picture what r they suppose to do now. lay back and excpet it. learn there lesson? NO. they should be refunded maybe even a little more and the scammer arrested.isnt ebay like a contract? i guess u really should read everybit but seriously its christmas. people really need to change there ways. i hope u all know we will be at fault for our own extinction. geeze if people could all just get along and let go of the little things that dont really matter.
otmakus said:
Maybe they only started it as a joke, but then someone really bid for it, and they realized they didn't do anything illegal, they did say that it's only a picture. Someone careless enough to buy something worth hundreds of dollars without even checking the item first is going to lose his/her money, one way or another.
MonkeyMan said:
[b]Originally posted by flavin:[/b][quote]i was going to big on an xbox 360 online. the bid was only at 10 bucks and had 2 minutes to go. i totally thought it was a scam but who knows. anwyays i wish i would have gotten out and bought a 360. then i could have sold it on ebay for 3x the original price[/quote]Well If I were you would have given it a try, because I mean its worth it for ten dollars, whether you won or loss lol. If you loss, it wouldn't have been that big of a difference, but if you won, you would've had the biggest deal on a 360 ever, of course being that it was legit lol.
nathanskywalker said:
[url]http://www.uberreview.com/2005/12/worst-ebay-xbox-360-sc
ms-ever.htm[/url]
Bartzy said:
The picture scam was awesome, but the one who fell for it is a real *****. You buy something in 400$ and don't notice that it's just a pitcure ?Great Scammer :)
djleyo said:
ahhh this takes me back to the PS2 and tickle me elmo days ***on ebay selling for hundreds and cx getting pictures of products ***didnt people learn a lesson cant be too careful on the net