Sirius Satellite Radio hits mark of 3 million subscribers

By Justin Mann on December 27, 2005, 12:46 PM
Satellite radio is one of the geekiest yet most widely embraced new age techs around. People are loving it, and it is growing faster each year. Sirius, one of the two most popular providers, recently hit one of their initial goals of three million subscribers. While not as beefy as competitor XM, it's still a huge number and demonstrates the popularity of satellite radio, for both home and travel purposes. Just a few short months ago they had around 2.17 million, showing just how much it is being picked up. With more radio hosts such as Howard Stern and Phil Hendrie endorsing satellite radio as the future, we can only expect these services to grow.

PanicX said:
I've often wondered about the quality of satelite radio. I know with a satelite dish, I've often gotten poor reception of TV channels when bad weather hits which is a real pain as bad weather is most likely why I'm inside watching TV. It stands to reason that I'd probably lose satelite signal when driving around as overpasses and tall buildings would block Line Of Site to the satelite. Anyone have any real experience to comment on the signal quality?
Phantasm66 said:
You need a special device is that right?
asphix said:
My problem is I dont listen to radio enough to pay a monthly service for it. I did just get an AVS receiver with built in XM support.. maybe its something I should look into deeper.What are the benefits? Anyone here have satelite radio that would recommend it instead of OTA radio?
PanicX said:
[b]Originally posted by Phantasm66:[/b][quote]You need a special device is that right?[/quote]Yes. You need a satellite radio reciever that supports whichever broadcast you wish to pay for. Unfortunately I haven't seen any models that support both XM and Sirius should you wish to switch or receive both. Yet another reason to hesitate in joining the movement.
Phantasm66 said:
Imagine my disappointment when I figured out it was not something that you can get over the Net for free.... :( ;)
Eleventeen said:
3 million. Hmm, thats hard to believe. All the time I hear people talking about how horrible satelite radio is. I've never owned it and I doubt I will in the future. It doesn't really sound like you get alot of benefits that you wouldn't get from regular radio. Heck, now some are saying that it isn't commercial free music anymore. Anyways, this is what people were telling me, so I dont know if it is all true.
nathanskywalker said:
That is alot of people. Wow, yeah "radio" [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio...[/url] we have advanced a little since then..satellite..i have broadban..internet radio.... :)
mtyson8 said:
Another reason I would belive the satellite radio is picking up is because they are offered on new cars. I saw that there is a radio avaiable for the MerS-Benz where you choose either an XM or Sirius based package. This sort of forces users to subcribe when they buy new mid to high ranged priced cars. They just sort of add it, since its not so expensive.
Bartzy said:
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by Bartzy:[/b][quote]I don't understand why people can only choose between XM and Sirius ? Is it the technology limitiations ?I've never heard of Satellite radio, and I hear regular radio all day long... It's nice to hear it and not your favorite songs in the computer all the time, because you get the newest and most popular songs, and sometimes you get familiar with a song you wouldn't even hear if you used a MP3 player for example...[/quote]To answer your question, all i need is one word. Monopoly or duelopoly. Whatever.