Nobody recycling, say manufacturers

By Justin Mann on December 27, 2005, 7:58 PM
According to some hardware manufacturers, a lot of the blame for the lack of green PC bliss is lay in the hands of the consumer. The article states that more than half the population simply doesn't recycle at all, not even things as simple as paper. Of course, this goes far beyond just daily things.

”Consumers are most likely to responsibly dispose of bulky items such as washing machines, fridge-freezers and tumble-driers. Just over 40 per cent of those polled take large items to their local civic amenity site, while 33 per cent pay their local council to collect their large items. Twenty-seven per cent expect the retailer who sold them its replacement to take the old item away for free.”
Obviously, computers are one of the worst items to throw away, for a variety of reasons, and many countries have laws prohibiting the dumping of those items, trying to force recycling. I wonder what it would take to achieve the ideal recycling world.

spike said:
Many many people, or so I recently discovered by asking a few aquaintances their views, don't recycle simply because they don't see the point when they "don't get things cheaper". In other words, it seems that a great many people think that the entire idea of recycling is to save money, but companies don't pass the savings on. As a result, they seem to feel that if they did go to "all the effort of recycling", they'd be getting conned by faceless corporations.Of course, recycling is about far more than money, and even prooves more expensive sometimes, but they don't see that - they are mis-informed and more than happy to stay misinformed. What's being said here doesn't suprise me much!
cyrax said:
Its true that the savings are not passed on, but the sloppy consumer ideals that "if its broke i'll buy a new one" causes material to be thrown away and not reused and thus the industry must make fresh products from fresh raw materials.
Masque said:
I agree....the industry....all industries....need less of a disposable mentality and more of what used to be....quality good.
Bartzy said:
Actually, it's true. When I buy a new product and I don't have anything to do with the older one, I just dump it. Yeah, It's stupid. But what should I do ? In my country we don't have much awareness of recycling and definetely not recycling heavy materials like iron etc...So to be honest, the blame is indeed on the consumers, but on the country they live in as well.
asphix said:
Recycling is not about savings at all. Its about taking action to attempt to conserv our environment and health. The whole 5cents back per bottle isnt there because companies are saving hordes of cash by re-using materials.The same money invested in collecting materials in the first place, melting them down and fabricating the product still exist the same. The money saved idea is instilled by the government as an incentive for consumers to recycle. The fact that companies can now re-use old supplies is their incentive.To say you wont recycle because you arent saving any money is rediculous! I am just as much as fault as anyone else. Big items require me to conciously consider where to dispose of it due to it not easily fitting in a trash bin. Smaller items such as paper, bottles and the like are much easier to just throw in a bag and forget about it along with all the legit garbage.I recycle, but not as much as I should.Anyone else remember this song instilled into USA elementary children in the late 80's / early 90's?We we we we we recyclewe we we we we reuse itno, no, do not trash itno, no, dont abuse itI cant believe the stuff I remember. It made me chucke. :)
sngx1275 said:
More places should have mandatory recycling laws. I remember when we lived in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin we had to seperate aluminum, tin, and plastic out of our regular trash, and then set outside. But here in Rolla, Missouri they don't have such a requirement, and therefore 95% of people just throw everything in the regular trash. I recently found out there is a recycling program here, but you have to specifically call up City Utilities and ask. Its not advertised at all, even when you first move here and have to set up your electric and trash.
PUTALE said:
it's true that not many people recycle their old computer, but I think part of the reason is that there's no incentive. There are some companies that will charge fees for recycling. I think a lot of people just feel that it's a hassle to recycle it and pay forthe fee. I think big companies, such as Dell and such should try to help out by taking the tabs of the recycling fee.
spike said:
[quote]Recycling is not about savings at all. Its about taking action to attempt to conserv our environment and health. The whole 5cents back per bottle isnt there because companies are saving hordes of cash by re-using materials. [/quote]That's what I was trying to say in my own little way, while explaining what I've recently been shocked to find of people's views.Recycling is important for yet another reason - resources are finite, and what we're doing now is simply a waste.I must say though, in the UK, there's traditionally been a savings element to recycling. I remember back in primary school thay had us crushing and collecting our aluminium soda cans because the aluminium ones (as opposed to the steel ones) were worth a little bit of money (not a lot, but enough to raise a few hundred pounds in a year).
thrudd said:
Bah - the manufacturers are as much to blame if not more so - they are the ones pushing the dump and replace/upgrade mentality .... great for profits but lousy for everything else.The only thing I have seen work is to hit all the manufacturers evenly with the same hammer. Legislate green into the product or dont bother selling in the market, and if you product is caught in the market then be fined to kingdom come and back. Most multinationals dont care unless they get kicked in their bottom line and or all the execs are held personally liable. That is not going to happen in the states for a while yet, if ever.Make it mandatory and then it will happen.Remember smoke detectors, emmision controls or seat belts or daytime running lights (need rear fogs still though)? =P
mentaljedi said:
Manufacturers are jsut moaning. Of course many people dont reecycle, but then again, the US is the biggest gas guzzleer, CO2 maker etc... I don't see manufacturers blaming the US for having stupid laws. I bet that for the average american, the nearets recyling site is in the next state! The rest of the world aren't as bad, save for China, but i doubt that Europeans can be satisifed just yet. (as long as the EU is still in termoil). But the whole point being, its not the consumers problem! Its the governemts. If it was just easier, then more ppl would do it obviously!
PanicX said:
I tend to think that theres more of a cost issue and effort issue. Companies don't actually save money when you recycle your electronics. It's actually much more expensive. If you think about it, manufacturors by new components by the bulk, often times dozens for pennies. Its much more expensive to pay someone hourly to desolder components, test their quality and then ship them to supply lines.And even if there was a slight incentive to take your PC to a recycling center. Do you think the average consumer will haul their electronics all the way out to a center for a $1.50 when they could just toss it in trash and be done with it?
dbuske said:
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by dbuske:[/b][quote]I have never heard of anyone offering ways to recycle computers and parts. If there were ways, I am sure alot of people would recycle.[/quote][url]http://www.crc.org/[/url][url]http://ww
.digitalaid.org/current.htm[/url][url]http://www.thegreenp
.com/[/url]Here in the EU we have a mandatory fee added to electronics product prices thanks to recycling. Now shops are required to take the old stuff when customers buy new things.Search for "WEEE directive" for more information if you want.
gravedigger9 said:
It's scary to see some of the postings here from whiners and complainers about recycling. Especially something so hazardous as "old PC's" potentially just laying there in some local dump. Granted, big biz and our "Alaskan preserve oil drilling" government could care less about this topic. That is why, we as "earth conscious" recycling automotons need to find these recycling centers that don't charge us for doing a good thing. This is the same reason why my best friend and myself started a FREE drop-off or pick-up of old unwanted PC junk in his town of Cromwell, CT USA. He runs a PC repair shop called the Computer Works and offers to take in any unwanted PC related part or system. The Manager for the Town of Cromwell has backed us 100% by providing us with extra storage space and bins for all metal and plastic. I would love to see more towns and tax paying citizens get involved. Maybe if local government sees more action from it's people about this necessity, maybe then this issue wouldn't be such an issue. I really like the posting from Mictlantecuhtli, very positive.I don't like the posting from dbuske, very negative. Ever hear of Google ?!?!, use it. You were smart enough to find your way here and register as a member, what happened after that ?Please, people of the WORLD, recycle your old PC's...start a revolution; it will make you feel good and your kids will think your a genius.