Korean government institutions move to adopt Linux

By Derek Sooman on December 29, 2005, 5:07 PM
Korean government institutions are to move their systems towards Linux. Two state-owned financial institutions plan to launch the country's first Linux-based Internet banking in due course. The Ministry of Information and Communication has been encouraging public organizations and institutions such as Korea Post, the Defence Ministry, and the Unification Ministry to adopt Linux.

"The Ministry is fostering open source software such as Linux in order to end the monopoly by Microsoft. Linux system users have demanded the new banking system as well," Korea Post official Oh Kwang-soo said. "We've decided to launch it because we feel responsible as a public organization. We believe that private firms will follow us once our Linux online banking system is proved successful," he added.

PanicX said:
Another step for Linux. It's good to see that Korea is keen to competition and its benefits. Hopefully this will add more support to Linux development.
Crofty74 said:
This could get interesting if succesful for them, it would become another feather in the open source cap.
PUTALE said:
linux is really moving forward among a lot of countries and companies because of the security issue. I think if MS want to hold onto it's dominance, they need to beef up the security.
smtkr said:
MonkeyMan said:
Well look at the bright side, Linux is moving up, and in my opinion, they have the guns to compete with Microsoft. With all those bugs Microsoft has, ppl will be looking for something such as linux, for a little more security. hmmmmm I think the voices are calling, they are telling me to run, they are telling me to hide, but oh no wait, dam, thats my mother calling, geez, parents, you can't live with them, and you can't live without them.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by smtkr:[/b][quote]This is the same thing many European governments tried a while ago. It didn't change the status quo. Will Korea be more influential? No.[/quote]I won't hold my breath either. Microsoft has way too much politicians and PR people to use. In the end they will most likely end up noticing that "after a long reconsideration, Windows was found to be more cost-effective in the long run"...
nathanskywalker said:
Sweet! Well, mabye they'll add a few helpful things to linux for us...then again, mabye i'll move to korea....
mentaljedi said:
First Swtizerland, now Korea. Not the biggest countires, but every step counts.
netholio said:
Having played with SuSe 9.2, I'd say that Linux is definetly worth a serious look. I leave my system on 24x7 and it never needs a reboot! (was on for 3 months and got rebooted by a power outage - heh) The place I work is also 24x7 - we use WinXP on most of our systems and have a "box" on the screen letting us know when it's time to reboot-lol. I looks forward to the day that I can finally ditch my XP and run Linux. (I only dabble with Linux, and find it less friendly to install apps and such without a bit of research.)
luismigilbert said:
i am not a Linux fan...i think it works fine, but Windows is a great OS...If Linux keep growing as it is, you will have a lot of linux virs...in addition, you won't have a patch written in a week or less...There are a lot of security solutions for Windows to make your network secure