Samsung and LG unveil TV phones

By Derek Sooman on January 3, 2006, 7:04 PM
Samsung Electronics and LG Electronics have both released cell phones that support broadcast-style TV. Both companies will unveil their offerings at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) taking place this week in Las Vegas.

DVB-H was developed by Nokia and is designed to optimize broadcast video on personal handheld devices such as cell phones. Italian operator 3 is currently using DVB-H technology to launch a broadcast TV service (see TechSpin: Triple Play for 3). So far the DVB-H standard is most popular in Europe.

Media FLO was developed by Qualcomm and is being championed by Verizon Wireless, which announced a month ago that it plans to offer TV services in late 2006 or early 2007 on Qualcomm’s Media FLO network.

xerowingsx5k said:
blue_dragon said:
[b]Originally posted by xerowingsx5k:[/b][quote]I don't really see a point in having TV on a cell phone. The screens are just way too small to really enjoy the video in my opinion.[/quote]I know what you mean but i think a 15 inch monitor is also small, but I think you are forgetting the fact that you watch them upclose
exscind said:
asphix said:
[b]Originally posted by exscind:[/b][quote]I think it's great that there are two (hopefully more in the future) companies in competition. Meaning, the prices would not be as insane as a sole proprietor in that field of market. Having said that, I don't think too many people will jump the bandwagon on this. As mentioned above, the screen for cell phones are too small; it is okay to use the cell phones for news headlines or instant messenging, but I know it'll kill my eyes to watch movies in that small of a screen for a period of time.[/quote]Good points and I agree. But its still exciting seeing stuff like this spring up. There will always be those who must have devices such as this though. I guess a lot of the practicality of its use would be dirived from a persons personality and lifestyle.
otmakus said:
There are cell phones with larger screen too. It still won't be comfortable to watch motion pictures in a small screen. But the importance here is the mobility. To be able to watch TV and at a channel of our own choice while waiting for the bus, in the train, or even in the toilet is still a major improvement than doing nothing.There are very few people who leave home carrying a portable TV, but almost everyone carry a cell phone nowadays. Cell phone is the most important gadget these days, IMO. It can be used for IM, listen to the radio and MP3, browse the internet, check emails, take pictures, organize our appointment, save our colleagues contact info, and now watch TV too. Oh yeah, and it can be used to make phone calls too.
rahuls said:
I feel that watching a tv on such a small screen is not a satisfying experience looking at the amount of cost your are spending on it.
2old said:
Interestingly it comes down to what you are used to doesnt it? I recall a forum where the users bagged out using a PDA to surf the web due to the small screen size.Or consider the nah-sayers who are decrying the new iPod screens for watching filmclips or videos.Or even the portble DVD players for installing in your car. I think Otmakus is on the right track.
Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Cell phones are the new "Swiss Knife". Multitasking is never a problem with these things around. Well, at least there are two companies in competition. That means better technology and (hopefully) lower prices.
cyrax said:
OOOO....Stargate sg-1 will rock on my cell! I'm never home to see it because of classes and having on my cell will be excellent!While i get starry eyes over this prospect, i hope the mpaa and riaa don't try to kill this project.They already killing their own music business
zachig said:
I think it's kinda stupid to watch TV on your cellular phone! But, it still amazes me how technology has been progressed over the years, and still does.
ArmyofKirb said:
I'm in the Army and I'm stationed in Korea (home of Samsung), and boy do Koreans love their cell phones. They have phones that do just about everything here. You can't watch 5min of Korean TV without seeing 10+ cell phone commercials.
donnagual said:
I am living here in Japan, and had a TV cell phone over a year and a half ago. Used it a lot during the summer olympics when commuting on the train, but after that I never used it once. Watching TV on it killed the battery too fast, it just wasn't worth it. Hopefully these newer ones will have batteries that can handle the TV feature, otherwise it'll be a dead technology very fast.
otmakus said:
Yep, one of the main obstacle of a true Swiss army knife cell phone is the battery life. Nowadays cell phone only have a few days battery life with normal use. And if by using it as a TV the battery life will be even shorter, noone will really use the feature.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
I'll keep my Alcatel cellphone from '98 as long as it works, or as long as GSM900 network exists here. Besides, I'd have to pay annual TV license for a TV cellphone.How's the response time for the cellphone display? It would have to have a high contrast and brightness to be usable on outside on daylight. Maybe with OLEDs it would be more useful (the article doesn't mention the technology).
mentaljedi said:
I'm not a fan of the idea of T.V. phones. Small screen and price is a pain in the but. However, this may lead to other steps in technology too. DOn't forget that.
barfarf said:
I think TV on a cell phone is neat idea if not so very useful. At the very least it would be a space saver of geek devices. As otmakus mentioned above it leads to the idea of a swiss army knife gadget. Once in great while I may watch TV while commuting on a train or a plane. Especially so if the screen size is like that of the ipod video. Practically speaking the biggest limitation is the battery life. IMHO that is biggest limitation is most portable devices. Until we have a leap in battery technology usefulness of mobile devices will be limited. Mr. Fusion anyone? =)
nathanskywalker said:
Now while this is kind of cool, but personally i think it is just a waste, and a distraction. We don't need more entertainment, how about more efficeincy? something a little bit more useful. Personally, i don't think i will ever pay extra money to get a tv in my cell phone.
iluvnug said:
I think this will be great for anyone who has kids and wants to keep them zombified while they do things around town. Though, I think it is better to give kids books to read rather than TV as a means to keep their minds occupied. Personally, I do not waste my time watching TV. TV sucks you in and sells you the world according to Ted Turner.
ALEKXANDER said:
My opinion, it's really not necessary to have watch TV on mobile phone, but on the other way if you just take it as an option when you find yourself stranded somewhere and bored or just have to see footage of 3rd warld war started :) joking, it could come handy, but if its meant to be your movie watching gadget it just have too many minuses as battery, small screen, low sound quality etc and its not comfortable. I can hardly watch movies on laptops. But probaby in a near future there will be safe nuclear energy batteries, we will have gadgets that will project picture rather than have LCD, and it will be worn by everyone probably to connect to WWW, communicate and remind you on to do list, and movie watching will probably be more pleasant :)