Firefox nabs 20% of European countries

By Justin Mann on January 17, 2006, 3:05 PM
Firefox is still spreading in the IT world, and has gone far beyond the desktops of geeks only. Large companies have adopted it, police forces have adopted it, and many end users are too. In several European countries, it is being picked up much faster and by many more people. Overall, Firefox makes up a whopping 20% of the browser market according to a French analyst company. France itself is looking at an incredible 38%, with the lowest being the U.K. At around 11%, still a large number comparatively. They do mention that there is room for error in their metrics and that their tests are only performed on Sunday, when casual browsing would likely be the highest.

Overall, though, this news is good. Firefox may have many roadblocks to become more than just an “alternative” to the average end user, but it is overcoming them. Most people are receptive to using a new browser when it comes along with the potential to dramatically reduce the amount of spyware plaguing them.

Need_a_Dell said:
Mozilla has done something right that no other company could. They have delivered an amazing product that is insightful to what consumers want. The increased sercurity that Firefox provides is a major eye-catcher for those who are wary of the relentless virus and spyware attacks. Good stuff Mozilla!
Kaleid said:
Eleventeen said:
I hope this means more people are ditching that Internet Explorer and going with this better alternative. This is by far the best browser I have used. It's good to see Mozilla is getting alot of attention. Having 20% of European countries use Firefox, well, that's just great. Hopefully this browser will be discovered by more users in the future.
gamingmage said:
Yay for Firefox. I have yet to change to it, but I have used it and love it. Hopefully I can go to it soon. Again yay for Firefox.
nathanskywalker said:
[quote]"We should emphasize that these measures have been done on a Sunday, when Firefox's usage peaks. The Firefox browser is less used during the week, as enterprises are more conservative when it comes to using a newer browser," Nitot said in a blog posting that commented on figures released earlier by the Web metrics company. [/quote]Which means they still don't quite understand just how superior firefox is...yet. And on point, some governments that are a little further behind still don't even allow firefox on there computer. For example, Canada, in some areas of government, is actually required to use I.E. In some ways this is understandable, but gosh, learn to adpt people.
asphix said:
This isnt a surprise at all, especially after what France has been doing lately.I wonder if this will change at all with IE 7. The competition will be good at least.. currently it doesnt appear Firefox has any solid competition. Its either an out of date really old browser (ie6) or one that doesnt get the publicity or respect it probably deserves (opera).
Kaleid said:
IE7 supposedly feels like FF. Whether you like FF or IE (or something else) atleast FF brought some competition so MS has to update IE.
exscind said:
Mozilla Firefox is a great alternative to Internet Explorer. I alternate between Firefox and Opera, although I'm not quite sure why myself. The tabs in Firefox was what got me hooked in the first place; it was so much easier to manage than Internet Explorer (although IE 7 was supposed to even up the playing field a bit).At first glance, 20% may not seem like a big deal, but it is a very big success. If you asked anyone 5 years ago if any other web-browser was going to bring Microsoft's IE down, no one would dare mention a name. Hopefully this will only fire up Firefox (bad pun) even more than before.[b]Originally posted by Kaleid:[/b][quote]Recently I have begun to use more and more but one thing bugs me. Why can't the bookmarks automatically sort themselves in alphabetical order?[/quote]Go into Bookmarks --> Manage bookmarks --> View --> A > Z Sort Order, or any other options that are available in View. Hope that helps.
otmakus said:
The fact that IE is integrated in Windows is a huge factor people are still using it. Firefox's popularity is increasing, but for lots of people who use internet once or twice per week on dial up connection to check their free emails in yahoo or msn, IE is still the best browser. (or the only browser they know)
Kaleid said:
[b]Originally posted by exscind:[/b][quote]...[b]Originally posted by Kaleid:[/b][quote]Recently I have begun to use more and more but one thing bugs me. Why can't the bookmarks automatically sort themselves in alphabetical order?[/quote]Go into Bookmarks --> Manage bookmarks --> View --> A > Z Sort Order, or any other options that are available in View. Hope that helps.[/quote]Tried that already. Does not sort folders first and bookmarks second.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[quote]France itself is looking at an incredible 38%[/quote]France? Read the article more carefully...
luismigilbert said:
i hope microsoft include firefox in Vista...sure it will be a goodie on next Microsoft'os...
PUTALE said:
it's funny that other parts of teh world usually are more accepting other companies and products that's not the dominate force of the industry. Asia, Europe, Latin America are more willing to open up to new stuff and other big company (unlike US's user, usually go for MS or INtel stuff:)>
ThomasNews said:
Large businesses are always incredibly reluctant to roll out any software. I know, I work for one ;) We're still IE only, some of the browser interfaces we use to do our jobs don't actually work in non-IE browsers even.That said, I still installed Firefox as the tabbed browsing makes my job far easier anyway (& works fine with all other sites). Basucally it's just down to us having lazy developers :(
mentaljedi said:
I think that Firefox doesn't advertise enough in the UK, thats why it doesn't do well. THey rely too much on word of mouth or typing in the internet's instance. They should invest more in that aspect.