Catalyst 6.1 Radeon drivers now available

By Justin Mann on January 18, 2006, 2:45 PM
The latest set of Catalyst drivers are now available from ATI's site. They have bug fixes for Media Center Edition Windows, and graphical glitches that appeared in Battlefield 2 and other games have been taken care of. They promise a performance increase, though it is most likely slight. If you are already using the Catalyst set, it's worth the beefy download to try them out. Like other Catalysts it requires the .Net 1.1 Framework to be installed to function. Direct links to the drivers no longer work, so you will have to find drivers in the Support section. Of course, with all driver releases, some say to not upgrade if you don't have any problems. So, as a word of advice, if everything is just fine you might want to leave it that way! Enthusiasts though, we love to be on the edge.

fiziks said:
does this mean new OMEGA drivers are available also?
paulwuzhere said:
finally, some good linuz support comes with it... i hope =) GO ATI!
mastronaut said:
Well here goes, I like to live on the edge!
DragonMaster said:
gamingmage said:
Finally, how long has it been since their last driver update? But hey at least its here now. I might go back to ATI I don't know.
MonkeyMan said:
Sounds awesome, I'm sure these new Radeon drivers are a plus for those who have a Radeon graphics card. Personally, I'll stay with my Nvidia Evga 6600GT graphics card. Great job Radeon.
exscind said:
charp said:
Perhaps with a new Catalist,can get more out of my x300.Which is a low-end card, but sufficientfor SOME games and editing.Gonna try it out soon.
Cartz said:
[b]Originally posted by DragonMaster:[/b][quote]Gonna get an X1600 once they'll be available in Canada... For now I can just see the new drivers release.[/quote]X1600s and all it's variants are all over the place in Canada... Try canadacomputers.com for instance. I was looking at one on the shelf when I was in there the other day.
Cartz said:
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by Cartz:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by exscind:[/b][quote]ATI always seems more enthusiastic about updating drivers than nVIDIA. I glanced at the list of improvements and fixes for games, and there were many. I'm not quite sure if it's because nVIDIA makes better drivers the first time around, or because it's just too lazy to update drivers as frequently as ATI. But ATI really hits the spot for consumers, I believe. If you're an ATI user, it must be nice to know you didn't get ditched by the cardmaker, and that it is working tirelessly to continually perfecting the product that you purchased.[/quote]Ooooohhh man, I remember when this wasn't the case...Back in the early days of ATI (I had a TNT2 or Geforce 256 around this time) they were notorious for having absolutely miserable driver support. It was at the point where certain games actually wouldn't run on ATI cards, ATI was so slow to release new driver versions that, essentially, it was up to the game maker to ship a patch that made it work.They would literally release a new card, and ship it with the same driver suite that drove the last series of card. It was, in a word, pathetic...Obviously since then, they've undergone a massive process improvement. I would also wager that some heads rolled in middle management during that time. Anyways, they went from being the worst, to absolute top notch...I just wonder why they don't develop catalyst for .NET 2.0, my control center seems to glitch out since I installed it.[/quote].NET 2.0 isn't very widespread yet i don't think. In any case, ATI has definatly improved along with Nvidia. Those two are both good but its the gamer's decision which is better! More driver updates can be a decider.
PUTALE said:
I guess it's time for me to upgrade my driver again:).
jassim said:
That's definitely good news for me.I have a Radeon 9000 Pro(128 MB), which is usually a bit slow at times and after installing the latest drivers, it runs Call of Duty at 1600x1200 at full settings!!!Now to just try out the new drivers and check if there's ANY performance boost!!!I must say, though, ATI's driver support is much much better than any others I've seen (actually, I haven't seen much driver support form other companies!)!Good luck to me and ATI!!!!!!!
DragonMaster said:
[quote]X1600s and all it's variants are all over the place in Canada... Try canadacomputers.com for instance. I was looking at one on the shelf when I was in there the other day.[/quote]Yeah, I found that. My local shop is telling that their distributors still don'dont have them. They can't have Crossfire mainboards also. I wonder if they really looked because the other stores around it have it ... I should tell them and maybe they'll do something...
Cy6erpuke said:
I'm glad about the drivers, but I agree: If its not broken, don'f fix it. Sure it includes a lot of bug fixes (for bugs I don't have). This is like taking medicine before you get sick....
fiziks said:
just because you don't have the programs doesn't mean the rest of us don't????
fiziks said:
[url]https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questio
ID=3380[/url]linux drivers
robikewl said:
Man where is the Classic Control Panel. I really miss it. ATI should do something about it.Glad Omegadrivers are here.