802.11n draft proposal approved

By Derek Sooman on January 23, 2006, 12:41 PM
A working draft specification for the emerging 802.11n standard for wireless networking has been accepted by the IEEE. The unanimous vote took place during the IEEE's bi-monthly meeting in Kona, Hawaii. 802.11n represents an extension of 802.11 wireless standards, and adds multiple-input multiple-output, helping to the technology to reach a total of 600 Mbit/sec. 802.11n should wind up being almost 10 times faster than 802.11a or 802.11g. The final ratification is not due until 2007.

mentaljedi said:
wow. lots of strange numbers that mean nothing to the average person. For all those who want it translated into english, this type of wireless is 10 times faster but won't be implemented till 2007 and can reach up to 600Mbit per second. Now, was that so hard? I'm really interested cos i'll be using it when i'm in university which is when i'll need it the most!
sngx1275 said:
PanicX said:
The sooner the better. I transfer TV shows to my laptop all the time so I can watch them during my lunch hour. Even with SpeedBoost, it still takes 15 minutes to move a gig of data.
nathanskywalker said:
[quote]802.11n extends the previous 802.11 wireless standards by implementing multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO), which uses multiple transmitter and receiver antennae to allow for increased data throughput and a technique known as orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM). This allows data to be transmitted as multiple signals to increase total transmission speeds.[/quote]Very nice. I do believe there was a simliar tech that was supposed to be coming out soon...utilizing multiple outputs that is. Very nice, i so totaly could use that. That is great, and not too bad speed either ;)
DragonMaster said:
Aren't there already some MIMO routers out there?
gamingmage said:
This is great news for users of all sorts. Hopefully this won't take a long time. Watch out world here comes 802.11n!
JMag034 said:
crossfire851 said:
[b]Originally posted by JMag034:[/b][quote]What we need is wireless sattellite internet that is free and spread out through all the world at the fastest speed possible. [/quote]Unfortunally every one likes money/aspects money that's what separates us from the animals.
exscind said:
600 Megabits per second really would help transferring large files over a network. Unfortunately, it won't come at any time soon. Sometimes legislation is really frustrating to many people , me included. It seems like works are already underway for the development of 802.11n, but no official word or release until 2007 due to the ratification process, which is an overdramatic formality in my opinion. And I suppose until then, laptops still have to be wired if the need to transfer large files arises.
otmakus said:
600 Mbps is the maximum it can reach in theory, the true speed is predicted at around 100-200 MBps, although it's still more than the average wired network we have all this time.The ultimate deciding factors for this new standard are security, speed, and price. Wireless network isn't booming because of those 3 factors. Offices will still be using wired networks because of security concerns. And although the speed will be fast enough for average LAN parties, the price of this new standard's network cards and access points will also be a big factor.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by sngx1275:[/b][quote]This will be great, no longer will I have to take my laptop into my other room and connect it wired just to transfer large files. DLing at 2.4 Megabytes per sec when you have 23 gigs to transfer is no good.[/quote]Laptop hdds will become the bottleneck then. And poorly implemented network adapters will put the packet processing on the CPU instead of offloading it to the network chip(s).
buttus said:
Ya know....I sold my first commercial wireless solution back in 1999. That was a blazing 1Mb/second.600MP/s?!?!?!Holy Crapola.Your PC now will get connections and data before it even makes the request.Maybe they built this out of a Delorian :P"Gonna go back in time"