Dirk Meyer becomes president of AMD

By Derek Sooman on January 23, 2006, 5:05 PM
Dirk Meyer, former microprocessor chief of AMD, has been promoted to president and chief operating officer of that organisation. Meyer will share the leadership and management with Hector Ruiz, who is to give up the position of president. Ruiz will still run the company as chief executive and chairman.

"Dirk has played an essential role in AMD's rise to the position of technology and innovation leader in the microprocessor industry," said Ruiz, in a statement Monday. "He has made amazing progress with our microprocessor business, making it the envy of our industry. His leadership, operational skills and business acumen have positioned the company for long-term, sustainable growth, and I'm very pleased that AMD now will benefit from those skills on an even grander scale."

JMag034 said:
I wonder if any big changes will become because of this. I mean, AMD is really starting to gain ground on intel in the market. I hope this new guy doesn't screw it up.
DragonMaster said:
[quote]I hope this new guy doesn't screw it up.[/quote]There are a few examples of this... The first that come to my mind is Sony. BUT, we don't know what's going to happen. This guy was behind the great processors they are offering so I don't think anything bad should happen.
paulwuzhere said:
DragonMaster said:
[b]Originally posted by paulwuzhere:[/b][quote]please oh please oh PLEASE! Don't mess you AMD! I love the Athlons! PLEASE! Hope everything stays the same or gets better.[/quote]The guy is the one behind Athlon.
nathanskywalker said:
[quote]The guy is the one behind Athlon.[/quote] Oh? Sweet! guess we don't have anything too worry about then...let's see...[url]http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/01/23/amd_promotes_di
k_meyer/[/url]Considering he's been with AMD for awhile, even as vice president, i think he is gonna do great.
exscind said:
otmakus said:
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by otmakus:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by exscind:[/b][quote]The first task on the agenda for Dirk Meyer should be to lower AMD processor costs back down to where they were prior to the increase :). I love AMD, but raising the price tag for a bigger profit because Intel isn't putting up much of a fight is not the way to win the crowd's heart.[/quote]But it sure is the way to make some healthy profits.[/quote]True but look at Pepsi and Coca Cola. They share the market 50/50 and have great customer satisfaction and yet still bring in the paychcks and then some.