Sony now taking pre-orders for 30 PS3 games

By Justin Mann on February 6, 2006, 1:00 PM
Although late to the scene, Sony is trying to put some pressure on Microsoft by one-upping their initial lineup for the PlayStation 3. Sony is promising to have thirty game titles on pre-order, available on October 1st. That's still a ways away from now, and there is a lot of fear that the launch of the PS3 will be met with just as many troubles as the 360 did. If Sony does pull it off, however, that's an impressive list of games. It'll be very interesting to see exactly how many of these titles Sony will have readily available, not just on paper. You can pre-order these titles already, if you so wish, at Sony's website.

sjps220 said:
I bet a lot of these games will get pushed back, along with the launch of the ps3. I don't believe that they can launch in Japan in the spring, satisfy demand there, and then launch in North America and be able to satisfy demand. I think we will see major shortages again if they stick to their launch dates.
MonkeyMan said:
Even if there are shortages, it will be well worth the wait. The titles that the PS3 have lined up, are awesome. Every single game they are releasing, is a potential blockbuster, and I'm not sure which ones I'll be able to choose from. If you look on gamespot, or IGN, you'll see what I'm talking about. With all those blockbuster titles, I certainly do think that Microsoft will not be able to compete with Sony. The PS3 is awesome, and I'm going to be sure to get one, as soon as it is released.
PaddyMac said:
Sony isn't late - Microsoft was early ;)But getting to the nub of the point, you should correct this article. Sony is not promising anything. Sony has neither announced a launch date, or launch titles. These games simply appeared on Gamestop's site - they often list games in advance of their "proper" announcement, and the listed dates are no doubt simply placeholders. The PS2 launch had nearly 30 titles, and I'd expect no less from PS3, but these may not be the 30! :)
JMMD said:
I'll be sitting on the sidelines watching both next-gen consoles. I haven't gotten a console at it's release since the Super NES. I'm happy waiting until the bugs are out and the first price drop hits. I have plenty of games on the PS2 and the PC to keep me occupied.
nathanskywalker said:
[quote]October 1st, 2006: * I-8* Condemned: Criminal Origins * Dark Sector* Devil May Cry 4 * Dirty Harry* Dog Tag* Eyedentify * Fifth Phantom Saga* Fight Night Round 3* Formula 1* Gundam World* Heavenly Sword* Killing Day* Killzone 2* Metronom* MotorStorm* Nio * Possession Project Delta* Psychopath* Scarface: The World is Yours* Spider Man 3* Stranglehold* Tekken* The Darkness* The Getaway 3* Theseis* Vision Gran Turismo * WarhawkDecember 1st, 2006: * Metal Gear Solid 4[/quote]Is it just me? Or are video games getting more and more violent, more and more depressing, much darker, and overall, much more mindnumbing and much less healthy. Seriously, almost all of those games have at least some kinda of sadistic refference to death!!! this is not good! Not for anyone, designers or gamers, ok fine critize me as much as you want :)But, more on topic, that still is an impressive list, all that at first? As soon as the Ps3 comes out? That would be impressive, but could present compatiblity issue. In other words, they won't have a chance to adapt those games (the software) to whatever erros most likely will be found in the new Sony gamestation. Hopefully all goes well, and that is a large enough selection to allow a....not so diverse in taste, but more diverse in style crowd of people to buy what they want. so, we'll just have to see.....please do better than MS sony...
Race said:
Let's hope that Sony has taken into account the fiasco surrounding the XBox 360.Done properly, they have the potential to grab a lot of disgruntled customers who either couldn't get the 360, or heard about the other technical issues, and are now sitting on the fence.Also....something that wasn't mentioned, and would be very cool...." newswires abuzz with the word of Unreal Tournament 2007 possibly launching with PS3", according to Gamestop.
cookiedude said:
Sony seem to have planned the launch of the PS3 much better than microsoft did with the 360. They should have far less console shortages due to their propposed staggered launch (japan in the spring, america in the late summer and europe pre-christmas). It has also given them time to develop the specifications to be exactly what we, the consumer, want from a true next-gen console. This means true Hi-Def games, BluRay DVDs and all the "media-cantre" functionality that the 360 promised but has fallen short on delivering IMHO. The promise of such a large launch line-up of games is just a bonus in my view.The only downside is likely to be the cost, touted at somewhere in the £400+ area.I almost hope they do have product shortages on launch so i can cash in, like many did with the 360, by selling it on for a profit!!Can't wait for Sony to put Microsoft back in their place!
AeonXX said:
I canít wait to see the 360 get body-slammed by the PS3, just because I think Microsoft has no business being in the console gaming market. As for the games, history has shown that launch titles are always weak in number, and history has been known to repeat itself. For now there are three reasons Iíll be buying a PS3: pushing Microsoft out of the console gaming ring, Resident Evil 5, and Metal Gear Solid 4, anything else is bonus.
need_a_dell said:
Sounds like a great move on Sony's behalf. This system does look amazing, but I haven't been all that impressed with the line-up of future games. Sony's game development companies seem to be focusing too much on flare rather than substance. I have owned a PS2 for a few years now, and not once have I had the problem of not being able to stop playing a game. The Playstation's games leave a lot to be desired. Nintendo on the other hand has had many a hitin their day. The Nintendo64 will always be the best system of all time in my eyes. If they were to change absolutely nothing abot the N64's games except for updated graphics, I would most definitely go out, rebuy, and play all those games all over again. It doesn't really matter how many games taht the PS3 will have on release day, the only thing that will make it worth while is if they have some games that will be worth playing.
sngx1275 said:
[b]Originally posted by nathanskywalker:[/b][quote]Is it just me? Or are video games getting more and more violent, more and more depressing, much darker, and overall, much more mindnumbing and much less healthy. Seriously, almost all of those games have at least some kinda of sadistic refference to death!!! this is not good! Not for anyone, designers or gamers, ok fine critize me as much as you want :)[/quote]Thats ok, Nintendo will come out with a plethora of happy bubbly cartoon looking games to make you happy :)[i]I do not own a Sony PS or PS2, nor an XBOX, XBOX360, Sega anything. I do own an NES, Gameboy, SNES, N64, GameCube, and Nintendo DS[/i]
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by nathanskywalker:[/b][quote]Is it just me? Or are video games getting more and more violent, more and more depressing, much darker, and overall, much more mindnumbing and much less healthy. Seriously, almost all of those games have at least some kinda of sadistic refference to death!!! this is not good! Not for anyone, designers or gamers, ok fine critize me as much as you want :)[/quote]I agree. I also think you just described most new (Hollywood) movies (and they're also usually sequels or remakes).Sadly, it just seems to be the trend of today. I don't know what could be done about it.