Opera 9 to include cool new features

By Derek Sooman on February 6, 2006, 5:06 PM
Opera Software is planning to release a second preview version of Opera 9, which contains support for widgets.

Not only that, Opera's new browser will also support BitTorrent downloads, and will include the official BitTorrent.com search engine in its browser.

AeonXX said:
Iím going to preemptively say itís cool, just because it includes a BitTorrent search engine, and supports BitTorrent downloads from the start. Plus, anything that rivals the unbelievably crappy Internet Explorer is automatically good in my book. But, Mozilla Firefox is still king.
sjps220 said:
I use firefox right now and I've been wanting to try Opera for a while. These do sound like very good features. I love the bittorrent integration. Cnet said that "Any BitTorrent downloads will appear in the browser's "transfer manager," just like traditional downloads that use the venerable File Transfer Protocol, or FTP." Sounds awesome to me! The widget thing doesn't appeal to me too much now, but as the article points out, users will be able to create widgets and I like the idea of that. I loved firefox's user developed extensions and themes and it sounds like opera is taking this a step further.
DragonMaster said:
So FFX is becoming pretty bad compared to Opera and IE7?[quote]Widgets are essentially small browser windows that display information taken from the Internet on a user's desktop. The notion is similar in concept to the widget idea that Apple Computer uses in the Dashboard feature of Mac OS X.[/quote] Or Ī KDE's multiple desktops, you see which windows are where.
exscind said:
In terms of simplicity, Firefox wins. In terms of features and speed, Opera is the winner. I am using the latest beta version of Opera, and for the most part it is very good. The ability for customization is by far the best I've experienced. But alas, it is only a beta version. There are occasions where the browser would crash for no reason. I have no doubt Opera will rid of this bug when a final version is released. To incorporate widgets and bittorrents are very ingenious, and all in all makes a user's life simpler.
AeonXX said:
As a web developer, I prefer Mozilla Firefox because of its simplicity of use, reliability, and its perfect compliance with web standards. Iíve been building a web site that will be cross-browser compatible, and so far it is Internet Explorer 6 & 7 giving me the headaches. CSS and XHTML work perfectly as designed in Mozilla Firefox, Iím getting no unpleasant surprises. To make things work in IE6/7, Iíve had to insert numerous hacks and make compromises just to get things looking okay. When all is said and done, the web site still wonít appear the same as in Mozilla Firefox, because of some missing features. Also, the developer support for Firefox is top notch, so Iím having fun with useful extensions like the Web Developer toolkit. Opera is also good, and I hope itís even better than Firefox, because that would be quite a feat to accomplish.
need_a_dell said:
I'm not quite sure how well the idea that a BitTorrent client is going to be included in the new version of Opera 9 will go over with the government. I suppose that there are som many clients out there already that it won't really matter. It seems like BitComet has done the exact opposite thing. They've taken their BitTorrent client and have included a web browser inside it. Pretty cool stuff.
gamingmage said:
I LOVE FIREFOX!!!!! But bit torrent? Really? Wow.
Nodsu said:
[b]Originally posted by need_a_dell:[/b][quote]I'm not quite sure how well the idea that a BitTorrent client is going to be included in the new version of Opera 9 will go over with the government.[/quote]Opera is Made in Norway, so it doesn't really matter what oppressive governments think :)
asphix said:
wow, bit-torrent bundled with a browser. I'll assume it supports RSS feeds as well? If it does that sucessfully, cool is an understatement!Thats my biggest complaint about IE 7 beta2 right now.. the RSS implementation is sub par.. maybe I'm just used to using a stand alone reader... but in IE 7 its so much hassle its not even worth it (defeats the purpose of RSS feeds).I'd be nice if Opera became popular and added a 3rd major compeditor to the browser arena. 3 competing products is better than 2, and something we dont see as often as we should.Also, I agree that the government wont say much about it. They wont attack the client but the content providers. It would be like the MPAA and RIAA trying to shut down the internet because people are hosting servers with illegal media. Its the one thing that sets BitTorrent apart from all the other P2P programs. It is just a download GUI and doesnt support searching or hosting the files.
chessonly said:
More features that techspot missed: labs.opera.com'block content' -Add search engine from UISite specific settings, controll proxy, popups and other features from a site to site basis.Those you give firefox the plus for its so called simplicity have either never used opera or are just plain biased.ABout this release, its awesome!! but very buggy , nothing unexpected since its a technical preview (alpha)
sngx1275 said:
To address some of the concerns and comments above:RSS Feeds are already supported in Opera 8.5 and I believe were in the original Opera 8, and perhaps before. As far as them becomming a 3rd major competitor, they already are to an extent. Several of the tech or news sites that I frequent that allow comments have far more Opera users than I would have originally guessed.The BitTorrent addition sounds pretty cool, but it needs to have bandwidth throttling features or its not going to be all that good. Also loading up a whole browser and keeping it up as you download a large file doesn't sound very appealing to me. I've had uTorrent open for over a week downloading and uploading constantly and its ram usage is only slightly over 5 megs.Firefox isn't 100% complient with web standards like most people think. Check this page for a summary: [url]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.ht
l[/url] (Note: that page is summaries, it has links to the source of the data). Opera isn't perfect either, but there are far less people on the Opera side claiming that it is 100% standards complient.As far as simplicity, Firefox is more simple out of the box, that soon ends once extentions get involved. I doubt many people that use Firefox use it without extentions. Opera can be very simple itself with about 1 minute of customizing its appearance.As far as stability, I have expierenced a few crashes on OSX Tiger with Opera 8.52 and the October Preview Release of Opera 9, it doesn't take the whole OS down with it when it crashes (like IE can) and once you reopen it it remembers what pages you were on when it crashed. I suppose its possible that some offending webpage that crashed it the first time will crash it again if you "continue from last session" but I have never had that happen to me. If it does then you can just select start at home page and it will be just like Firefox and IE when it crashes. I have Opera 8.52 on my main PC at home, and I'm not sure I've ever had it crash.
Vaulden said:
Hrm... Maybe I should take a look at Opera again. While incorporating Bit Torrent isn't that big a deal to me (I'll probably continue to use a separate program). And as for widgets... I've no clue if I'll use them or not. However, the link sngx1275 put up makes me want to take another look at Opera. This is coming from a Firefox user.
ThomasNews said:
Please don't link to the deceitful, misrepreseting Firefox Myths page.[url]http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic42441.html[/url]If you want to check out Firefox, Opera or IE standards support then check this page directly;http://nanobox.chipx86.com/browser_support.php[Edit
d by ThomasNews on 2006-02-07 14:27:21]
ThomasNews said:
[b]Originally posted by ThomasNews:[/b][quote]Ack, don't link to the deceitful, misrepresenative ting Firefox as a source.[url]http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic42441.html[/url]
/url]
sngx1275 said:
[b]Originally posted by ThomasNews:[/b][quote]Please don't link to the deceitful, misrepreseting Firefox Myths page.If you want to check out Firefox, Opera or IE standards support then check this page directly;[url]http://nanobox.chipx86.com/browser_support.php
/url][/quote]Alright, I see your link, the link I gave may be biased or incorrect now that I read your post in that thread. I did not know this before, and I came across that link yesterday when doing something else than looking how to bash firefox. In any case, I believe at least one of the source links (if not more I didn't check the source on everything) links to the page you linked.Now back to Opera 9 discussion. I just downloaded the new one from [url]http://snapshot.opera.com/windows/w90p2.html[/url] and I mucked around in the about :config that they decided to include (to compete with the same feature found in Firefox) and its now my primary browser at work. Before I couldn't use Opera at work because it saves all the stuff to my profile on a network drive so I can go to any computer and have the same Opera, problem is when the network has heavy traffic it can cause Opera to be incredibly slow, now everything is saved locally and the speed increase is dramatic.[Edited by sngx1275 on 2006-02-07 15:04:21]I don't know who to believe, and I don't want to start some staff/mod war here Thomas, but that guy has an update on his site saying [quote]Update - A small group of Firefox fanboys have been unsuccessful in refuting any of the factual evidence presented on this page and have thus turned to personal attacks against myself, which include lies, slander and unfounded accusations. This sort of behavior is not only unprofessional but immature. Apparently the closer you get to the truth the more desperate some become.[/quote]So perhaps he's updated since some people have disputed his claims. Like I said originally, he has source links, and also directly links to the tests or pages he claims.[Edited by sngx1275 on 2006-02-07 15:20:20]
barfarf said:
Interesting. I liked opera 6 and 7 before i discover Phoenix now Firefix and MyIE2 now Maxthon. I life firefox cause its like and small, box it take a while to customize. I love Maxthon cause it has tons of features out of the box working and it works with all webpages since is run on IE. Opera and still sometimes with Firefox i encounter webpage that do not work correctly.
ThomasNews said:
[quote]So perhaps he's updated since some people have disputed his claims. Like I said originally, he has source links, and also directly links to the tests or pages he claims.[/quote]No, I'm not taking offense or anything, I just have problems with that site. As I've said sources have been misrepresented; the Standards support site (Nanobox) has refuted what he states - even putting up a redirect for those from his site. Response? Bemoaning the guy as bias & altering the link (He STILL uses him as a source though, despite refusing to listen to what he says in defense). Several others are used as quotes - As Dotzler, etc. promoting the article. They're edited versions & taken out of context, e.g. Asa's "good stuff" quote is from a post he made regarding an article debunking some of the claims on that page.Meanwhile he often promotes Opera as the "most secure" browser. If going by number of unpatched vulnerabilities (As he is) then Lynx would be more secure - Zero unpatched. His reaction? Change the wording & leave Opera as most secure.As stated elsewhere he also consistently spams boards with his "article", from which he has been banned from plenty (Here, tweakguides...).Any challenging of his claims are met by "The sources speak for themselves", I know as I've challenged him several times, even Nanbox has when he was on his forum - banning him due to his repeated refusal to answer questions.I can't speak for all the links cited, though criticisms I've heard of those are that many are months old & some others relate to tests by an Opera employee.[Edited by ThomasNews on 2006-02-08 03:03:55]
chessonly said:
[quote] I life firefox cause its like and small, box it take a while to customize[/quote]LOL , firefox is light? and small? PLeaseee , ANd Opera has 100x times features packed than Maxthon