HD-DVD won't output full quality to current HDTV devices

By Justin Mann on February 24, 2006, 11:51 AM
The movie industry and others will go to great lengths to combat piracy, even if that means hurting early adopters of HDTV technology by crippling functionality. AACS, the DRM-esque technology for HD-DVD players, will not produce a full quality signal from component video connectors, as analog is "unsafe". The resulting resolution is 960x540 - more than a standard TV, but vastly inferior to the actual 1920x1080 resolution that HD will support natively. That's not the end of it either.

In addition to the "image constraint" issue, AACS has a few unresolved points, so the first players that are due to come out this spring won't have all the features promised by HD DVD and Blu-ray. For one thing, you won't be able to copy material from a disc to, say, your PC via the "managed copying" function.
It seems with each successive advancement in technology, another copy-protection scheme is unveiled that hurts the casual consumer more than anything, or at least those who are unaware. Potentially, you will be able to upgrade some hardware as standards become finalized to allow your hardware to function better with AACS, but I wouldn't count on it.

DragonMaster said:
So which format's going to win with that? DVD?
sjps220 said:
once again they hurt the average consumer doing nothing wrong to stop the people copying.
PanicX said:
It amazes me that they go to such extremes for nothing. There is absolutely no way for them to stop digital media from being copied. If its possible for a full 1080i signal to be displayed, then it's also possible to capture the video at full 1080i. They've already got [url=http://www.engadget.com/2005/07/15/spatz-techs-dvimagic
killing-on-hdcp/]HDCP Decrypters[/url] that will allow protected content to play on any current display. Try as they might, they're only wasting millions in pointless research.
Vaulden said:
I love it. The movie industry is just as clueless as the gaming industry. Copy protection schemes that cripple average users will not cripple pirates. As soon as new technology arises to "protect", newer technology is developed to pirate. In the end the only people hurt are the legitimate consumers.
Phantasm66 said:
Technology is playing second fiddie to copy protection now. That's just plain crap.
DragonMaster said:
They say everyone is pirates. So they suppose that everyone will get decrypting machines and software to be able to view the movies in full resolution.[quote][B]From PanicX's link[/B]HDCP is just a small part of the copyright protection story. AACS will actually verify the devices you can talk to. I'm not saying AACS can't be defeated, however AACS will defeat this spatz box right from the start.[/quote]So real pirates will have to solder wires going from the decoders in their HDCP-compatible TVs to some machine recording it?Pirates remove copy-protection and then give the result without copy-protection to the rest of the world. Do they just want that people with HDTVs get only black market movies? Yes, or yes?Who's behind these copy protection things? Guys like Macrovision? Are they just paying Sony and Toshiba telling them that it will protect against copy to make money?Or maybe they do this because they want people to buy burners, blank media, decrypting hardware or software, etc. There should be a dollar-sign somewhere behind all this...I especially target Sony, they sell commercial CDs/DVDs, blank media, and burners. By making people copy, they sell more blank media and burners, but even if they lose money in CD and DVD sales, the other record companies are losing money.
spike said:
It's truly rediculous. For every different cipher they use, there'll be another person to see it as a bigger challence and break it, or find a way around it.Digital media can never be protected, and it's the consumer that gets hit the hardest - ie, the people who would be the ones likely to buy it are being driven to the black market and piracy in order to get the simplicity and functionality they would happily pay for if it were offered.Right, enough of that - I'm off to find a NoCD crack for a game I legitimately own on a genuine CD, and then to download all the tracks I legitimately bought on a sony DRM protected album. (not really, but then that's because [b]I DON'T BUY THINGS IF I DON'T GET WHAT I'M PAYING FOR, OR IT GIVES ME MORE HASSLE THAN IT'S WORTH[/b])Sorry - I had to get that off my chest. Actually, maybe they might take a little notice if everybody did the same. Maybe we should all add such a line to our forum sigs? Perhaps they'll notice one day, and that lightbulb above their heads switches on with an almighty... *Ding*; "Oh, I've just realised, people won't buy this rubbish"....[Edited by spike on 2006-02-24 19:38:02][Edited by spike on 2006-02-24 19:39:41]
DragonMaster said:
[quote]Perhaps they'll notice one day, and that lightbulb above their heads switches on with an almighty... *Ding*; "Oh, I've just realised, people won't buy this rubbish".... [/quote]I don't think so...Say we take Sony(Yes, I like taking it as an example) : If they lose money with DVDs, they gain some with blank ones, and with the equipment to write it. If they decide to put that kind of copy-protection, they certainly make more money out of blank media, burners and by sueing people than by selling DVDs.
spike said:
I believe that's called "racketeering". Still, wouldn't put it past them.
JMMD said:
This kind of thing makes me sick. Allowing an analog connection does not make it easy to copy the content. What would you copy it to anyway? How many people used their analog connections to copy DVD's? The protection was on the DVD recorded side and it worked just fine.The movie and music industry is so intent on making everything so secure that the end user suffers the consequences. Whatever schemes they come up with will be circumvented in some way. All they do is waste time and money coming up with the protection and then making the technology a pain for the consumers who pay for the products.
lncpapa said:
You can't even begin to understand how much this upsets me. It better not have any effect on an HDMI connection - though that will still upset me since I can't run HDMI to my receiver.