The World Cup is upon us!

By on June 9, 2006, 1:25 PM
The FIFA World Cup is here, the most significant competition of what's arguably the most beautiful team sport in the world starts today. With an expected worldwide viewership of over 25 billion, I can imagine many of you will be looking at your TV screens rather than reading these lines, or not necessarily?

Without a doubt it will be hard to miss the action of this year's Cup, with literally dozens of TV networks broadcasting the tournament. The FIFA has also partnered with Yahoo to bring you as much detail as possible through the official web portal. Even Google has paid special attention, a simple "World Cup" search will show the latest scores live on top of the page. You may also remember we reported that BBC News has acquired rights to broadcast most matches on their website (UK visitors only though), they are by far one of the pioneers on broadcasting events and TV shows online. Not to mention many of the cellular providers that will offer live scoring.

Earlier on PC Manufacturer Foxconn also sent a picture of a project they were showing at Computex. The Footy Desktop is a fully functioning PC, cleverly stitched into a size 5 football. The power adapter is stored in one of the football boots and the mouse and keyboard has a football finish to it as well.

While writing this Germany just beat Costa Rica on the first match of the tournament, on an exciting game that ended 4-2 in favor of the hosts. That means we are less than an hour away from the second match where my home country Ecuador will face Poland.

buttus said:
Good luck to you and Ecuador Julio. :)I myself will b healing for ole Britannia...and have a box of kleenex nearby for my inevitable tears.Hopefully this year they will be tears of joy as at 38yrs old...they've never won it in my time.:D
howard_hopkinso said:
Fortunately, I`m old enough to remember Englands win of 1966, although I was only twelve at the time.It`s be great if England could do it again.I`m currently watching the Ecuador game. They look like a very useful team.Regards Howard.
wolfram said:
Mexico will win the World Cup!!! (hopefully)
Julio said:
Ecuador won, that's awesome!!!This is just the second time my country is in the World Cup. To give you an idea of how relevant it is for the local population, the president of Ecuador announced that businesses should only work until noon today since the match started at 2PM and over half of the industry was not going to be working anyway.
wolfram said:
Mexico won against Iran!!!Great job Mexico!
howard_hopkinso said:
Ecuador are going through to the knockout stages. They have just beaten Costa Rica 3-0. That means they`ll top the group, with only Germany left to play.England will end up playing either Ecuador or Germany in the next round.I bet you`re well chuffed Julio.Regards Howard.