Nintendo backs down from 1 million Wiis in 2006

By Justin Mann on December 11, 2006, 12:27 PM
While not as dire as the situation some other unnamed console providers are in, Nintendo was too optimistic when it came to shipments for the Wii in 2006. Originally aiming for 1 million Wiis on the shelves or in homes by this month, they are under that mark by a bit and are clearly falling short of the 2 million reported by some. Nintendo has retracted the million units figure. Why, though? Some sites, such as nexgenwars, are reporting that over a million units have already been shipped (though not necessarily sold). There was no reason given for the retraction, and sales so far have been good. Over 600,000 went within the first few weeks of release, and stores are still reporting sellouts soon after they receive more.

Is there a supply issue?

Julio said:
Numbers aside, I would definitely say there is a supply issue with the Nintendo Wii. Even the extra controllers are getting sold at a profit on ebay because they are nowhere to be found.
TimeParadoX said:
The Nintendo Wii will probably be one of the better systems coming out because it's Original ( the control Idea that PS3 stole :D ) and some really cool games are coming out for it like RedSteel / Call of Duty
canadian said:
There is no story here."Despite spot shortages in some locations, well more than a million Wii systems will be **available** in the United States by the end of the year.""Available," not "sold." They retracted this statement because it was a mistake in semantics.
mirob said:
If I could have got a Wii I would have, it's a Xbox 360 under my tree.
canadian said:
[b]Originally posted by mirob:[/b][quote]If I could have got a Wii I would have, it's a Xbox 360 under my tree.[/quote] I really dont know about this hole shortage thing, Cranrbook BC sure has alot and its just a small town.
ming9899 said:
1 million!!!! oh[url=http://burn-stomach-fat.blogspot.com]burn stomach fat[/url]