Sony says the Wii is just an impulse buy

By Justin Mann on February 1, 2007, 5:52 PM
We're used to Sony talking big. We wouldn't expect them to talk big about the PS3 just yet, considering its relatively dismal sales performance, but in comparing it to other consoles they obviously don't want to make themselves look bad. Interestingly, that led Dave Karraker, a spokesperson for Sony, to state that Nintendo's Wii is nothing more than an impulse buy. He also went on to say that there only “appears” to be more demand for the Wii because Nintendo isn't shipping as much. Nintendo, of course, disagrees:

"That's absolutely inaccurate," she said - claiming that Nintendo is shipping at least the same number of units as Sony. The NYT article also quotes "company officials" as stating that a million Wii consoles are being shipped around the globe each month, with the US receiving half of that number - and therefore more than the 100,000 PS3 units per month Sony has claimed to be shipping.
A million units a month? That would be an awful lot of impulse buying, if the figure is accurate. Regardless, to me it seems that Karraker is just trying to save a little bit of grace while Sony waits for the PS3 to pan out.

tpl2000 said:
impulse buy? baloney. it's a great console, it's got motion sensors (yay!) and it's much more innovative than either the ps3 or the xbox 360. it's great for everyone, even if you don't like exercise; considering that you only have to flick your wrist in a certain way to get the desired result. sony's just trying to kill the wii sales and we all know it.
PanicX said:
Well, I have to admit that the Wii was an impulse buy for me. However I have 0% buyers remorse. I love it and so does my family, and my friends are jealous.
nz_skater said:
To be honest, I have to agree. I think Wii will be dead in a couple of years were as PS3 will be just starting to come to fruition. I'm NOT a PS3 fan, I don't plan on getting one any time soon but that;s my opinion.
mirob said:
Well $600 is not an impulse buy for me(PS3,) nether is the wee.
otester said:
All 3 consoles are impulse buys.
ThomasNews said:
Isn't the 360 outselling PS3 too?
midgetmax said:
I also was an impulse buyer with the wii. Not dissapointed in any way, but, in my personal opinion, i think Sony is just jealous of Nintendo, because Sony killed nintendos gamecube with the ps2. so they dont want to be seen being shotdown by the under dog. its like being 2nd best in your league in basketball (2nd because everyone knows xbox is always better than playstation)and getting beat in the final game of the playoffs by the worste team in the leage, so seeing as how you are at the top, you need to fire back with a desperrate comeback, which is exaclty what sony is doin.
black_death said:
Big talk for someone being outsold by Nintendo
Julio said:
At this point I agree that all new consoles are somewhat of an impulse buy. Perhaps the Xbox 360 is the biggest exception because its game library is much more complete and you can already have a good idea of what kind of support you should expect from Microsoft and developer studios. PS3 is a bit on the expensive side and new in the market, as is the Wii.Both Xbox 360 and the PS3 have the advantage of high resolution gaming (which is worth it if you have the right equipment to go along), and the PS3 price tag gets you a blu ray drive.Finally the Wii is the most innovative of the three, although it has to prove itself in terms of continued gameplay innovation to make it a worthwhile investment.