Microsoft admits hacks for Vista exist

By Justin Mann on April 13, 2007, 4:13 PM
It's no secret that activation in Vista can be circumvented. There were a plethora of early attempts and several ways to do it now. What is Microsoft going to do about? Well, largely nothing. Their goal isn't to go after the little guy, but rather to stop the wide counterfeiting rings and truthfully, that's no surprise either and is par for the course since they first began using CD keys years ago. With Vista, though, things may end up turning out different in the long term. Vista's existing anti-piracy measures already make it a higher-profile target for those seeking to exploit:

While Microsoft is not immediately taking action, Kochis did acknowledge on the Windows Genuine Advantage blog that this could be a problem. "Because Windows Vista can't be pirated as easily as Windows XP, it's possible that the increased pressure will result in more interest in efforts to attack the OEM Activation 2.0 implementation," Kochis wrote.
All of this, while not a surprise, is a bit humorous, since Microsoft originally denied that a flaw in Vista's registration was discovered last month, as well as other hacks.

windmill007 said:
They want the hacks so VISTA will spread. I wish there wasn't hacks. I don't want it to spread. I want it to Die like Windows ME did. I tryed VISTA with one of the so called hacks. But I uninstalled VISTA just because its just a glorified XP wannabe that has so much garbage in it.. it runs slower on the same hardware than XP does. Plus all the DRM stuff they shoved in there is enuff to make you sick. Also why did they move everything around? Sure add new stuff but just moving things under new titles does nothing but confuse existing windows users. Owell thank the GODS that XP will live on a long time yet. Hopefully by the time XP dies out there will be a real operating system to replace it. The only ones singing VISTA praise are people who either got it with a new computer system or went out and bought it. Its like anything you buy you don't want to say it sucks because you spent all that money but you know in the back of your mind it does![Edited by windmill007 on 2007-04-13 07:21:05]
Canadian said:
I bought it, and I like it. I have liked it since RC1. Alot of the things people say about Vista, things they "hate" I have never encountered, or more often, the people are just stupid and cant figure out how to use the new simplified features. I still have yet to see anything block my downloaded movies, or music.
foogan said:
Just like windmill, I tried a copy of Vista Ultimate. I installed it to verify that it worked, and it did.I got into Windows, and I poked around a little bit. Sure it seemed nice, but then I thought "why?"Why switch to Vista? I use XP, and it's rock solid.XP's tried, tested and true. You can chop wood on it it's so solid. It's that loyal dog, that you know you can count on. It knows your routines, and you know its.Vista's that new puppy that is just going to piss all over the floor and tear up your shoes until u get it all trained and acting the way it should in say, ohhh a year or two.Let the trendwhores have their Vista. Let them clean up after it.When XP becomes less able to keep running with the new kongs and squeaktoys that don't support old dogs, then I'll put my beloved old Rover to rest, and I'll just take one of the young, energetic, fully trained dogs from one of the stupid trendwhores who abandon them for the latest fad... Ipod underwear, eleven-bladed vibrating razorblades with built-in headlight, self-cleaning TV screens.I was resistant to switch from 98 to XP, it took me awhile, but I was some glad once I did.Xp's been good to me. Hopefully down the road a ways, Vista will be good to me as well.But not now.
Per Hansson said:
XP huh?I'm still on Windows 2000, using the same analogy as you guys are for not upgrading to Vista :)Vista has something you will all need though (very much unlike XP which _really_ is just a nicer UI for Windows 2000) it has DirectX 10, which wont be backported to any other OS...It also does away with the awful directsound API, in favor of Open Al, so maybe finally we might see my other "fave" company; Creative, taken down to the ground and bashed around by the other guys...I of course have also Vista installed, don't really see anything much wrong with it, just like XP it can be made to look like a decent OS (see 2000) after a bit of fiddling.But why go to all the trouble when Win2K works so well?The only thing holding Vista back though is that the drivers for XP are better than the drivers for Vista, when the drivers for Vista mature enough everyone + the dog will eventually switch over to Vista
Jibberish18 said:
Well of course Vista is going to be the primary target for hackers first and foremost. Just about anything released from Microsoft is a target for hackers for various reasons.There software can be expensive. Many people hate Microsoft. Many people want to challenge themselves and tell people "Look! I cracked Vista!" If Microsoft didn't make their OS's so pricey, they might not have to worry about their OS getting cracked. I mean it'll be cracked either way, but it may make people think twice before trying to download and use an unauthentic version of Vista or XP. And then they pull some crap where if you'd like AERO you have to pay top dollar for the most expensive version of Vista.Can you still install VISTA on more than 1 computer like XP? If you can then that would make Vista a much better buy. Getting your money's worth.Just like XP, Vista will take a while before everyone adapts to it, develops for it primarily and Microsoft makes it very stable. But in the end, it'll get to that point. Just have to wait a while.[Edited by Jibberish18 on 2007-04-13 12:08:06]
foogan said:
I do a lot of gaming, once DX10 become the norm for new games, I'll have to upgrade my whole system by then, so it'll be a good time to build something nice.And Jibberish, I don't think you're "allowed" to install XP on multiple machines with a single key, they want you to have a copy for each.
Gars said:
i agree with foogan in all the points he mentionedill wait till sp1 is released and then will see if its necessary to switch on that b**** ;)ps: ubuntu looks nice but still have a lot of work on it
misha8725 said:
Vista is only good for people who don't know how to use computers and need everything laid out for them in plain English. I don't mind the fact that it requires better hardware; or that everything that you try to do on it takes 3 minutes. Also Microsoft Office 2007 has such a different look to it that it took me 10 extra minutes of my time to figure out how to save the file in 2003 format so that it would be compatible with my MS Office 2003 at work. I have Vista Ultimate installed on a 2 yr old IBM laptop that I have. It runs OK, but there are many easily accessible features in XP that I can't even figure out how to get to in Vista. My biggest annoyance, which might seem silly to some, is the Windows Browser. Instead of being able to click on the drop down menu on the top to select which location on the computer you want to go to, it's like IE. You have a backwards or forwards button...which is the silliest thing ever to have. I took 20 minutes to explain to my mom how the navigation through XP works. When she started working with a computer 6 months ago I had to tell her what a right click on the mouse was. She now understands and is very happy with it. I had her sit down with my laptop that has Vista on it and all she could say was "I'm going back to my computer, I don't like this one". hahaha. It was funny. Overall, I think MS had no reason to push out Vista this early and should have held it back for another year while everyone was upgrading to be compatible with it during complete beta. thank you.
misha8725 said:
[b]Originally posted by foogan:[/b][quote]And Jibberish, I don't think you're "allowed" to install XP on multiple machines with a single key, they want you to have a copy for each.[/quote]You are absolutely allowed to install XP on multiple machines with a single key. It's called Enterprise and a single key can have how ever many "LICENSES" on it that you choose to purchase with it. Otherwise a big company would have 75-300 different XP CD keys for each individual computer and would cause some big problems...like keeping track of all of them. [Edited by misha8725 on 2007-04-16 08:06:35]
misha8725 said:
[b]Originally posted by Jibberish18:[/b][quote]Can you still install VISTA on more than 1 computer like XP? If you can then that would make Vista a much better buy. Getting your money's worth.Just like XP, Vista will take a while before everyone adapts to it, develops for it primarily and Microsoft makes it very stable. But in the end, it'll get to that point. Just have to wait a while.[Edited by Jibberish18 on 2007-04-13 12:08:06][/quote]I've been working with Vista for about 1 year now and their legitimate licensing process only allows 1 license per key now. But Vista is going to be so easy to hack and have illegtimate copies that I'm not even going to get into that.