Pandora blocks users outside the U.S.

By Justin Mann on May 2, 2007, 8:32 PM
Users of Pandora.com were met with disappointment today. At least, users outside the U.S. were, as the popular Internet radio station has closed its doors to any IPs originating outside the U.S., due to “legal pressure” from U.S. record labels. While Pandora did not want it to come to this, it seems they had no choice:

"It's devastating for us to have to do that," Pandora founder Tim Westergren told The Register. "We're terribly disappointed and frustrated, but the existing law right now is such that we can't legally," stream to most users outside the US.
Obviously this will affect the popularity of the site, though they are hoping to restore access to those users in the future. This is a bad blow to Internet radio, which is already suffering quite a bit from the royalty fee increase that looms ahead.

Canadian said:
... I am in Canada, and it works for me....
howard_hopkinso said:
I`m in the uk and have had no problems whatsoever as yet, so I have no idea what`s going on?Regards Howard :)
ravisunny2 said:
Still accessible from India, but requires a US Zip code (which can be easily arranged).Actually, I didn't complete the registration process. Maybe it gets blocked somewhere down the line.
phantasm66 said:
I feel like crying.
phantasm66 said:
Oh, and this is all because the RIAA have been giving them a hard time. You see the pattern here? The RIAA have no idea how the future of the Internet and music should be delivered, so they just shut down or give hassle to anyone who does have an idea.Pandora will be shut down completely some time soon, believe me. This is a tragedy.... A bad day for music lovers and for the Internet. The RIAA have struck another blow for everyone.
phantasm66 said:
Save Net radio :[url]http://www3.capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/callalert/ind
x.tt?alertid=9679516[/url]
eazy_duz_em said:
works out here in nowhere Romania.. :)
Soul Harvester said:
I've seen mixed access from people. Some in NZ are unable to connect whereas someone from Ireland is.A shame this has come to pass.
Kurupt said:
Sucks for those outside the U.S. : I love that site.
PanicX said: