Acer: PC industry 'disappointed' with Vista

By on July 24, 2007, 10:36 AM
The head of Taiwan-based PC maker Acer, Gianfranco Lanci, openly criticized Microsoft over its newest operating system saying that “the whole industry is disappointed with Windows Vista” and that never before in the history of the PC manufacturing sector was the impact on sales of a version of Windows as small as that of Vista.

The Vista adoption trend continues though. It should pass Mac OS X by the end of August, and eventually overtake XP too. However, Lanci is not worried about the OS’ market share, but other major flaws affecting Windows Vista. It’s not a secret that Vista was plagued with hardware compatibility problems since day one. Acer, which is the world's fourth largest manufacturer of PCs, claims many business customers have specifically asked for Windows XP to be installed on their new machines.

Lanci said he didn't believe Vista was enough to tempt a person to go out and buy a new PC. But Microsoft, on the other hand, says Vista has been a smashing success, celebrating over 20 million Vista licenses sold by March. What’s more, at some point Microsoft will limit the availability of XP to push people to Vista. The company already announced it would terminate sales of Windows XP to resellers and retail after January 2008.

Jacal said:
Microsoft bah they are always trying to force people into getting products they know are not good. Windows 2000/Me anyone -_- ... well they gonna never stop me from using Windows XP Professional SP2. Windows XP for life :D
Fornacis said:
I'm not using Vista until SP1 comes out...it has the capability to be the most awesome OS yet. I have not doubt about that, but the third party guys like "Acer" need to get their act together. You can't totally blame MS for the driver conflicts and other problems. I had problems with Nvidia, Creative, and EAGames. There is no excuse for that...its not like Vista jumped out of the bushes and surprised the world.
9Nails said:
Give me "Windows XP" or give me "SuSE Linux w/Beryl"!Vista is not in my upgrade path.Windows 98 SE was my favorite but the stability in Windows 2000 Pro got me to switch.Windows XP was a very hard sell for me too, but finally the boot-up performance and game compatibility won me over. I quickly backed off all the Windows XP desktop enhancements to keep the Win2K look and feel.Now, I only see Vista as Windows XP's desktop enhancements on acid with yet more memory hogging going on. There just isn't that killer app or feature in Vista that I need. Oh, sure, Mahjong is pretty cool. But that's about it.
windmill007 said:
VISTA blows! Its a super memory and CPU hog. I am a power user and like my machine lean and fast. I don't care what people say that vista is just as fast. Yeah sure if you have double the cpu and memory installed. If I was to take my AMD 3200 with 1 gig ram and install vista my performance will go down. That is not an upgrade in my option. Sure if I wanted eye candy that might be the way to go but I for one use my computer to get stuff done. Not to star in awe at. LOL. They need to build on XP. It is an awesome operating system. Don't change something that works I say. They didn't upgrade XP with VISTA they completely changed where everything is and made it very annoying with popups. I'm sure the popups might change with a service pack but they should of thought that out more before releasing it in that condition. No one I talk to likes vista so I don't see why people keep saying it will be the next great operating system. I just don't see it. I actually see it as a Windows ME type system that will slowly fade away when they release the next actually good operating system.
Fornacis said:
Dude...XP was a piece of crap too until the first Service Pack if you would think back....
thebaronjocelin said:
Vista sounds pretty cool, from the reviews, despite being plagued with errors. But I don't like Microsoft's trend of caving to the demand for flashy GUIs and low technical capabilities. They knew what faction they were alienating when they made this OS, and they shouldn't decrease XP production just because they hate to deal with the consequences.
tom mask said:
Vista sure does suck, there's no doubt. Unfortunately, EVERY SINGLE COMPUTER PRODUCER SELLS VISTA OS!!!!! It's like we don't have a choice anymore. Microsoft better deal out some SP#'s soon...Hopefully alot of problems will be cleared then. Vista is basically a Windows XP / Mac OS X hybrid that seems to be missing an important .dll file... -__-;
windmill007 said:
disciple said:
[b]Originally posted by windmill007:[/b][quote]YA but what does Vista give you over XP? Answer : Nothing .. Unless your a newbie. Its a resource hog. Just like Norton Anti-Virus became. Thats why I don't use it anymore. When are these software companies gonna realize more isn't always better especially when it takes more processing and memory just to do the same you did before. I think they should be making computers more green and able to just as much with less power. No wonder we have all these problems with everything always consuming more... where will it end? Code bloat will be the end of us all...LOL[/quote]Agreed. If i want my windows desktop to look flash, then i'll use windowblinds; the only other thing left is DX10 and if the rumours are right Dx10 will be here for XP too. So XP1, Vista0