CompUSA to dismiss all employees by February

By Justin Mann on December 12, 2007, 6:10 PM
There have been rumors abounding the past week about it being curtains for CompUSA, and this week we all heard that they will indeed be closing their doors for good. Now, their employees have been notified of this as well with a rather generic and cold goodbye letter being given out to everyone.

While they don't give an official closing day for the business as a whole, the last work day for employees will be in the middle of February. Likely the actual stores will close well before then. There is something to be said for cutting your losses and getting away from a bad investment, but this letter is pretty cold for firing every single employee you have.

As for the rest of us, stores closing often entails goodbye sales, so if you live near a CompUSA you might want to look out for them trying to expunge old inventory.

canadian said:
Why is this such big news? I never heard of them until they decided to close.
Soul Harvester said:
Julio said:
Absolutely they are big enough to be relevant, at least within the US.Bestbuy has been able to survive so far, but I believe all the problems come mainly from Internet star retailers like Newegg offering a wider selection and better prices.
phantasm66 said:
This is normal.This is the way business are these days.You are a resource, a number. A figure to be tallied up on a spreadsheet.You are not a person. Your life, your family, your career plans, your loyalty.... none of these things matter one little bit.I have been systematically crapped on by every employer I have ever had in the IT industry. No one gives a crap about you. Do you think they care if you work hard? That you want to learn? That you like computing? Bollocks they do. They care about making themselves look good to their superiors, or their shareholders. That is all. If you don't believe this, you are living in lunatic land. Face facts... its a horrible, horrible world to work in these days. Do yourself a favour: keep your eye on the door, keep your mouth shut. If there is a problem, put up with it (silently) or leave. Never expect anything. Nothing is yours until it is in your hand. Believe that nothing promised will come to you. Never expect to be treated fairly. Never show surprise when a fellow worker gets better treatment because they are friends with the boss. Keep on your poker face. Keep your skills up to date. Keep your eye on the job market. Leave at the first sign of danger.Working for these companies SUCKS!!!!However, the technologies they have (I've been inside the data center for a major banking group, worked on some very interesting projects, etc) are GREAT!! You have to just put up with these things. Employers are scum. Computing technology is worth putting up with the scum for.
ravisunny2 said:
Sad, but true.Good advice : 'Keep your skills up to date'
phantasm66 said:
Oh, for a worker in the 21st century, especially in the computing industry, you absolutely need to1) Keep your skills up to date2) Keep your CV up to date3) Keep your eye on the job market4) Keep up to date with the means you gain employment (i.e with recruiters, etc)Believe no promises until they are delivered. If there are to be redundancies, expect yourself to be one of them. Plan for the future. The days of a job for life are gone, gone, gone.
spydercanopus said:
Hardware retailers are all being stomped on by the "big guys". Unless you need something RIGHT NOW, you're likely not going to buy it locally. Newegg and the rest do NOT always have better prices than local computer stores. After you pay shipping it can be more. I highly recommend checking your local computer stores before buying online. That will keep the money in your own economy and not send it to some foreign country.
link590o said:
Newegg is US based, and they don't ship anywhere outside the US. And from what I've seen, all the computer stores in my area jack up the price so much that even with the shipping, the price of what I want from Newegg tends to be less. Even if it's a dollar or two, the point still stands.
Nirkon said:
:( goodbyte compusa
oneoar51 said:
I quit doing business with Compusa when they failed to honor my rebates and treated me surly. They lost thousands of dollars (more)in sales from me and others who were poorly treated.Business is the same as always - it boils down to customer service. At www.neweeg.com I am always treated like a valuable customer. If you can't do that, then you are starting your GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE immediately.I just dropped another vendor for service related failure. I will spend the money, my business requires it. I am the customer. If I pay more for service, then I pass the cost along to my customers.Merry Christmas
peas said:
for many, it's Good Riddance Compusa, a chain owned by Mexican tycoon Carlos Slim. Poor cust service may work in Mexico, but doesn't fly for long in the US. In that regard, Fry's is the most at risk, though they've been able to keep their head above water.From what I've heard, Compusa's fire sale prices are no better than regular sales. In some cases they're much higher. There has been much discussion on Slashdot
bwchato said:
bwchato said:
i used to buy a lot of small parts that Best Buy and Circuit City did'nt carry.we had 2 or 3 stores here.they closed their stores here not to long ago.Now i have to order parts that the shipping costs more than the part.
bwchato said:
[b]Originally posted by bwchato:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by Soul Harvester:[/b][quote]I don't know where you live, but on the west coast CompUSA is a fairly large retailer. You can find them in just about any medium sized or larger city. A lot of techs I know are former CompUSA employees as well. I think it is fairly relevant, given the companies size.[/quote][/quote]
hrowder said:
I live on the west coast and CompUSA was my go to place for various emergency and other computer needs. I always try to support the brick and mortar stores just so I will have a place to go and buy stuff. For those who dont remember, NewEgg was Egghead when they were brick and mortar too... but they closed all their stores and just started selling online. Yet, I used to go to Egghead and buy stuff all the time. I will be sorry to see CompUSA go. This leaves only Fry's as a place to go to buy stuff when I build a box. Being able to look at stuff side by side is important for some products (like computer cases and other build hardware). Also, the ability to return stuff if something is bad is really important to me, so I do like to have an acutal store to go to so I can finish my build project without the delays of sending stuff back in the mail etc... Those of you who think you are saving money buying online all the time (even if its just a dollar) dont seem to value your own time very much. Given the number of people I generally see in the CompUSA in my area, it is hard to believe they are closing down. I got good service from them and never had any hassles with returns when something went bad. I will miss them!