Windows Vista SP1 is here!

By on March 18, 2008, 11:37 AM
The much anticipated release of Vista SP1 is slated for release today, and while many are waiting for that to pop up as an optional download on Windows Update, the full standalone installer is now available for 32-bit and 64-bit editions of the OS.

As usual Microsoft recommends that if you are only installing the Service Pack in one system, you use Windows Update which will result in a much smaller download (the standalone package contains five languages), but knowing our audience it's safe to assume you are better off downloading this one package so you can save it for future reinstalls, slipstream it, or just update the multiple machines you own, and could surprisingly all be running Vista. I don't think the SP needs any further introduction, so just go grab your copy while download speeds are still fast. Release notes are also available on the links above.

Didou said:
& now get to work on finishing Windows XP Service Pack 3! ;-)
phantasm66 said:
I'm just about to download it (imaged laptop last night) so here goes!
epik_al said:
Is there a link to the list of issues Vista SP1 is intended to correct?I continue to grapple with intermittent mouse freezing.
icye said:
SP1 is the proverbial gum to plug the cracks in the big dam called Vista. The smart computer user will wait a month or two because there will be definitely problems.
fullmetalvegan said:
phantasm66 said:
[b]Originally posted by fullmetalvegan:[/b][quote]I don't why people are bad mouthing Vista... I've been using Vista for 6 months now and have had ZERO problems with it. It runs at the same speed my XP did and I've had far less crashes (as in none) on Vista than I did on XP, the only issue/of speed I've had is the file transfers; which don't seem to be as slow anymore.Glad I made the switch, could never go back to XP now. For me Vista has meant a more stable, efficient (game browser ftw) and aesthetically pleasing OS.XD[/quote]I agree with every word.Service pack 1 installed here and no problems whatsoever, in fact last's nights backup to flash drive seemed to go much faster.
jhill3d said:
Installed SP1 on laptop(x32) then workstation(x64). I must say what a speed improvement. The Aero interface is much faster as well. My index scores did not change (laptop 4.5, workstation 5.5) Nightly backup to external seemed to go faster than before. Launched every app I have and loaded a few documents in each. Everything seems good to go. Adobe CS2 & Autodesk applications appear to be faster and "still" rock solid stable. Sorry, not a gamer here so no testing on that front. Nice job MS!
techbomb06 said:
I agree I have had no problems in 2 months with my vista laptop. On the other hand I am a computer tech and work on customer computers every day with vista problems. Usually due to them having dial up and not installing updates and when they get them it is too late to matter. Then I have to either reinstall or go to the recovery console. Either way when it is done and completely up to date there are no problems. Definately ID10T Errors. I agree Nice job MS and thanks for the constant updates.
windmill007 said:
Yes I can't wait for Windows XP3. Hopefully will be some improvements to a already awesome product. SP1 for vista isn't really doing much for the people who don't use or don't like vista. Hopefully it will help the few that do use it.
peas said:
[b]Originally posted by fullmetalvegan:[/b][quote]I don't why people are bad mouthing Vista... I've been using Vista for 6 months now and have had ZERO problems with it. It runs at the same speed my XP did and I've had far less crashes (as in none) [/quote]Consider yourself fortunate. Some of the Vista issues are due to 3rd-party drivers which are beyond Microsoft's direct control. That said, those driver issues are partly Microsoft's fault for some radical changes in the driver stack.If Vista runs as fast for you as on XP, you probably have a high-end desktop system. Or possibly a heavy desktop-replacement laptop. Alot of the Vista issues are related to sleep/hibernate, so if you're a desktop user that never uses those functions, you'll never see those problems.The moral of the story is that you shouldn't poo-poo people's complaints about Vista based on your rather limited experience with it (limited in the sense of types of hardware it's installed on).
fullmetalvegan said:
*shrugs* The moral of the story really seems to be, if you have an old computer, don't get Vista (or get Basic). Fairly simple solution, Microsoft isn't to be held accountable for every ill advised decision that illiterate customers make. I've seen pretty terrible machines run Vista Basic without any trouble at all, so perhaps the choice of hardware for systems is the fault of system builders also, and not Vista at all once again.I'd say my experience isn't too limited, as you so naively put, being that I work as a technician at my own store and build new pc's with Vista all the time, and maintain any problems with said systems. Any system I build has the appropriate version of Vista attached for the level of hardware it has, and I've had no critical problems with any at all.Microsft deciding to update its software to advance technology isn't a fault of theirs when it comes to driver issues. These compansies would have had beta versions of Vista to prepare for dirver updates and if failed to do so, I can't see why you pin the blame on Microsoft for this.I cannot see why Microsoft should be expected to restrict their OS coding just because of all the numerous 3rd party companies in the world refusing to update their own code. Their success is totally dependent on being able to run on a OS and so are required to keep their coding up to date to comply with any OS changes. Not vice versa, beggars can't be choosers.Nobody forced anyone to switch to Vista, being that XP is still a supported system, (with SP3 coming out), the issues with Vista are all attached to customer's potentially poor decisions, and not the software manafacturers themselves.That's my point of view.
icye said:
fullmetalvegan said:
Very true.I tend to explain what's required to run each version of Vista, so I end up putting Basic on the basic systems that have onboard VGA. Name matches and everything. =P
ezpcmars said:
Good to hear, I will personally recommand to wait for the SP1 Upgrade since I recommanded to get it as soon as its available and that was definatly the worst suggestion I gave to my customer with the initial disaster it caused.I beleive if you purchase Vista Home Premium, you should be able to DOWN GRADE to the previous version of the operating system *XP HOME at least* (As an included key with the product) Especially before SP1. If a customer complains about a crappy os, you could always dual boot the system if that would be possible, many customers would be very happy. Got one of those "You SPEAK, we lisen by mail a few weeks ago" from them, sure hope this comment doesn't fall in a deaf ear drum.My 2 cents.Marcel
nazartp said:
[b]Originally posted by icye:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by fullmetalvegan:[/b][quote]Fairly simple solution, Microsoft isn't to be held accountable for every ill advised decision that illiterate customers make.[/quote]Not necessary the illiterate customers fault.Most of the accountability goes to the personnel that work in the computer stores for failing to explain computers technology in everyday terms that the average consumer can understand. The customer expects the personnel to know what they are selling in the store, but the problem here is that most just care about seeing each customer as a dollar sign.[Edited by icye on 2008-03-20 11:54:09][/quote]Do you really expect store clerks to have an idea of what they are selling? At their salary they just don't care. On the other note - I bought Vista withing two month of its release since I was building a new system. In present terms the system is nothing to write home about but I also had no problems with Vista at all. Installing SP1, though, required me to reinstall my network card driver. In all honesty, I had more problems with XP when I first bought it in 2002(?). It had enough driver issues on its own and was awfully insecure.I guess, it's just fashionable to bad-mouth Microsoft for whatever reason: operating system, anti-trust laws, security, etc. What irks me the most is that Apple does exactly the same stuff and never takes any flak for it.