Nvidia caused 28% of Vista crashes in the early days

By Justin Mann on March 27, 2008, 11:42 PM
While Nvidia has certainly made great strides in improving their Vista drivers since launch, apparently they were still late enough to be causing major problems to its customers. Looking at some internal documents that have come out to light as part of the "Vista Capable" lawsuit, it seems that nearly a third of the reported 480,000 crashes during an unspecified period in 2007 came from Nvidia drivers. By comparison, ATI weighed in at under 10%.

Better sales aside, Nvidia was fingered as the #1 cause of crashes as compared to all other sources. What will Nvidia's response to this be? Considering that Forceware drivers were harshly criticized over many iterations following Vista's release, perhaps there is a more serious problem here than simple “growing pains”. There are other factors that didn't make it into the figures such as how many people were using outdated drivers, or how many of the crash reports came before newer drivers were available. Still, it is a very interesting statistic.

phantasm66 said:
I keep saying this... people are giving Vista a bad name which it does not deserve.
9Nails said:
Well, Vista deserved about 1 in 5 of those crashes for itself. But I must say that it's relatively stable now. I've been using it for 5 months and have had a few crashes, nothing serious. Once out of a hundred times a game won't launch, which I just double click the icon again and it launches fine. That's about the end of my excitement, and I've only switched back to XP because I can't find a Cisco VPN client for Vista 64.
icye said:
I'm not defending nvidia but solely blaming for 28% is a little unfair because there are a whole host of variables that can cause a crash. Nobody is zeroing in why Windows Vista crashes 72% of the other time either.
jesse_hz said:
And on the GNU/Linux side, Nvidia's wonderful drivers are STILL causing hard lock-ups. Ugh. :(
windmill007 said:
I think vista caused its own crashes. Stop blaming other companies. Its hard to write stable code to work with crappy code ;)
jesse_hz said:
True, and if it weren't for the fact that Nvidia's Linux drives also suck, I'd guess that Vista is just a pain to write drivers for.
icye said:
Maybe the remaining 72% can be attributed to both Vista and user incompetence causing these crashes.