Nvidia forced to cut GeForce GTX prices

By on July 14, 2008, 5:09 AM
Over the past couple of years we have reported several times about Nvidia cutting prices in anticipation to some release from main competitor ATI. However, this time things look much different as Nvidia has been forced to make the move, changing its market dominant position to one in which they have to be extremely careful about a very well regarded new line of Radeon graphics boards.

Things couldn't look better for AMD/ATI right now, who after a long time are enjoying of a great run with the Radeon 4000 series. Nvidia in the other hand, had a less stellar debut with their GeForce GTX boards that despite of being very powerful single-GPU solutions, were seen as too expensive and too power consuming.

Nvidia price cuts should become effective later this week with the GTX 280 board dropping from $649 to $499, and the GTX 260 going from $399 to a more appealing $299, which purposely matches the fastest of the new Radeons, the HD 4870.

In the meantime, ATI is expected to release the Radeon HD 4870 X2 next month which will use two GPUs in a single card using an improved version of the Crossfire implementation we saw months ago in the 3870 X2. Pricing for this upcoming card has yet to be announced, but for now some hands-on performance previews have popped up around the web.

fullmetalvegan said:
Sweet, been planning to get one/two GTX 280 for SLI, so now I can for a decent price. Was never going to buy one at their original price.While these new Radeon are good... I got a 4850 to see what it was like, I find their drivers completely hopeless. Having dual monitor is a pain, the monitor flicks on and off 5-10 times every time i turn it on. On top of that, it never remembers my settings and keeps resetting the position back to the right of my main monitor, even though I keep setting it to the left.And THEN, the atidisplay.dll whatever driver crashes pretty often. Either it tells me it's crashed then my PC crashes to a blue screen of death, or both monitors turn off and I can't do anything but reboot.NVIDIA drivers are so, so much better, never going to use ATi again after this experience. =S
yukka said:
Great news for ATI. I have been buying ATI cards for years and its good to see a decent bit of competition. For a long time I have considered that Nvidia's tactic of larger cards, larger price, higher power was going to come unstuck. It began to remind me a little of the Voodoo 4 cards (except the current cards have 32bit color).I have had a few problems over the years but these have been fixed with using Omega drivers for example - most recently the current crop of catalyst drivers have been exceptionally stable for me.Hopefully ATI do well here getting plenty of money back into the AMD/ATI pool and seeing them through to their next generation of cpus.
fullmetalvegan said:
howzz1854 said:
[b]Originally posted by fullmetalvegan:[/b][quote]I'm sorry how's this great news for ATi? NVIDIA cutting prices so that more people might buy them instead of the new ATi cards is great news? =PMy catalyst drivers have been exceptionally unstable for me, after writing my first post, I had the ATi driver die on me again when watching a dvd on my tv through the computer. =[/quote]maybe you need a system cleanup, flush out all the bad drivers and install fresh new ones. Competition is always good for us, i could care less about those companies, as long as i get more for less. what's to complain. ATI has alwasy been weak"er" on their driver front, that's because Nvidia has had a few years of head start. i haven't owned an ATI card since the 9700pro days, but with the things are going now, i just might make the jump to the red if the time is right.
lordbf1 said:
Go Go AMD/ATI. I love you!
fullmetalvegan said:
AMD is crap right now, not worth the money. =P I was looking into their performance lately, and a $300 Phenom performs much worse than an equivalent priced Intel quadcore - and that Intel one was low-end, the Phenom was meant to be the fastest quadcore.ATi cards are good though right now, cept their drivers aren't too stable.