Dell offers Ubuntu 8.04 on new hardware

By Justin Mann on July 18, 2008, 5:57 PM
Dell has expanded their Linux desktop offerings today, announcing that they have made “select” systems available with Ubuntu Linux 8.04. The Hardy Heron distro is an upgrade from the existing Dell Linux Desktops which came with 7.04/7.10. Dell is making the XPS M1330N, Inspiron 530N and the Inspiron 1525N machines all available with Linux pre-loaded via their website.

Though the overall hardware profile that Dell offers with desktop Linux is small, it's still a change from years prior, when it was absolutely nothing. The change of heart came last year after Dell noticed increasing demand for an alternative to Windows.

tedster said:
Great - a user unfriendly operating system for amateurs.... just wonderful. Most folks can barely navigate around windows, let alone linux.
todbran said:
User unfriendly? For amateurs? Ubuntu is awesome. The 3 computer service centers that I own say I know a little more about computers than you do tedster. How many of you all knew how to use Windows the first time you tried it? None! Correct answer. I think a virtually spyware free and virus free computing experience that is Ubuntu, sounds rather nice. And after the disaster that is Vista, it's nice to use an OS that actually works and doesn't bog down your machine. The amateur comment is still making me chuckle tedster. My pinky finger knows more about computers than you do troll.
todbran said:
Ubuntu is a great Linux distribution. It just takes a little effort on your part to learn, just like when you first tried Windows. Once you learn it, you will never use Windows again.
audiophile said:
I use a variant of ubuntu,ubuntu studio,which is designed for ****** like me who love sound and music.Whilst it is better if you understand linuxspeak,it's really quite easy to use it in the same way that you use windows,the gui is quite good and attractive.Also if you have favourite windows programs,you are usually able to run them in a Windows Emulation they call Wine,Its a bit like running DOSBOX or WinUAE.,though Linux variants of these are available,but they are more suited to command line input that a pure guiThe only complaint that I have,is that they have no drivers for Creatives X-Fi card which I love,and it can be difficult to save things like compositions,Stan
netholio said:
Unfriendly? - lol. Installation of an OS from 1 DVD, no searching for drivers for most systems,... unfriendly? While it works excellently on the newest systems, unlike that BSOD-ware from Redmond, Linux does not "leave behind" all of the hardware we've purchased in the last few years. There's nothing more UNFRIENDLY than installing Vista to learn that HP and the likes would like you to please purchase new "supported" hardware because it and MS have decided you need to really "pay-up" for the privilege to use Vista. My 18 year old daughter couldn't believe the ease of switching from the BSOD OS to Kubuntu 8.04. I no longer have to pay a "tech support visit" once or twice a day to help cure MS-induced maladies.All of the productivity apps installed during the OS installation. Did I mention no more BSOD's? It's true that modern games are a bit more "tech-intensive" to set up, but it is much less frustrating that BSOD's and the future "lease-ware" that will be coming from Redmond.
Michael Schmidt said:
It is great to see increased acceptance of Linux and Ubuntu is a super distro. I've been using it for many months, having switched from Windows XP. I haven't missed Windows at all. In terms of ease of use, how hard is it to click on an icon in a menu bar? Linux is not a resource hog and this makes the system more responsive. Visual appeal is excellent. Support is great and there is lots of technical help on the Internet. My only concern is that there have been some glitches with Hardy Heron - some folks have experienced system lock ups (this writer is one). However, the Ubuntu folks are doing their usual responsive job and working to get it fixed. So, way to go Dell!
tedster said:
toadbrain: I was referring to amateurs as in general consumers.... and I seriously doubt you know more about computers than I do. - and BTW I have worked with linux / unix for my job. It's a royal pain in the rectum. But since you want to start a flaming war, I have no further use for your immaturity.There are many who like it, but most people are not that computer savy and can barely navigate windows which originally was designed to get away from command line operating systems which require a litany of memorization. CL type operating systems are generally user unfriendly. That's my opinion, and I am sure a few will disagree, but they are in the minority.
hbarton said:
[b]Originally posted by tedster:[/b][quote]toadbrain: I was referring to amateurs as in general consumers.... and I seriously doubt you know more about computers than I do. - and BTW I have worked with linux / unix for my job. It's a royal pain in the rectum ... CL type operating systems are generally user unfriendly. That's my opinion, and I am sure a few will disagree, but they are in the minority.[/quote]FYI Ubuntu Desktop Edition comes with a complete user interface like Windows. The average consumer will not ever need to see the command line. I'm a Windows administrator but Ubuntu installed on my 3 year old Dell laptop was a breeze. Drivers were not an issue either it prompted me to download and install the correct drivers itself.Perhaps before making statements like "Great - a user unfriendly operating system for amateurs.... just wonderful." you should try the system you're talking about. You might even like it ;)