Windows XP still outselling Vista

By Justin Mann on August 7, 2008, 5:09 PM
As we approach Vista's second birthday and distance ourselves from the launch of XP further, you might assume that Microsoft would have had enough time to make Vista attractive enough for people to prefer it over XP. DirectX 10 exclusivity, restricting vendors from selling XP, marketing campaigns and so much more, all towards Microsoft's end of making Vista de facto apparently aren't working as fast as they'd hope.

According to some recent estimates, by the end of this year Vista will have been deployed in 9% of businesses and still won't reach 1/3 of the market by 2010. On top of that, factoring in downgrade licenses it seems that Windows XP is still outselling Vista. That must hurt Microsoft, especially when very large vendors have mentioned they simply will not deploy Vista, waiting instead for Windows 7.

Interestingly, Windows 7 has been in the works for a while and it's been rumored more than once that it will be released next year. That's just speculation, of course, and given the dollar investment Microsoft has poured into Vista I doubt they will just sit on their hands.

poundsmack said:
while i don't truely believe this it makes for some good food for thought. Lets say you make a product that is good (XP) people like it, it works, it does what its suposed to do. now lets say your business model relies on you selling updates to said product. Lets say you did so well last time that users dont truely have a need to upgrade. So as the provider of this software you have to give people a reason. for the sake of keeping this going, lets say you release a product that you clearly know yourself is not "as good" and then (due to having the PC industry basicly under your thumb) you go ahead and push that out on all new pc buyers ( for the most part). now you have a lot of people who know your pruduct and used to really like it but are not thrilled with your current incarnation. BUT now you have a great opportunity, you can build hype for the next product, say it will be more stable, more reliable, than your previos 2 products. now you have created a reason for both xp users and vista users to uipgrade, bringin in much more profit. If MS had done vista right there would be little reason to upgrate to windows 7, jsut like vista offered litte true incentives to upgrade from XP. Coke did the same thing. they changed their formula to somethig that tasted worse, then pushed it out on the masses (right at a time there was a slow down of people drinking coke) then when people complained that it wasnt as good coke brough back Coke Clasic and sales shot through the roof. this is a tactic used all to offten in business to spur sales but rarely talked about. do i believe this to be the case with MS, not sure. i think microsoft jsut spread themselves to thin and didnt have a real set goal on what vista was suposed to be and thing wound up sloppy in some areas. but its a brilliant tactic, and MS is incredibly business savy, they really really knwo their stuff and are not stupid. just my 0$.02(spelling errors expected, please use phonetics. hookt onn fonix rilee werkt fer mee).
tedster said:
You make a brilliant observation. As a marketing graduate, if M$ truly plans to make windows 7 revolutionary, then it will be a phenomenal business tactic. Let's hope this is the case.
aolish said:
Emin3nce said:
I think you missed the point Aolish,There isn't really too good of a reason. Which is either a good or a bad tactic, depending on which marketing strategy you take into perspective.
Beach said:
To be honest - I just plain don't like Vista.I also don't like the latest version of Office. In an attempt to make it simpler to use MS have, in fact, made it less so and my main bugbear with the rotten thing is that you can no longer, at least I haven't found a way around it, write and send an email using Word. It must now be sent as an attachment.
nirkon said:
abakus said:
I just upgraded from xp32 to vista64 last week. The overall experience was very satisfactory. IMO vista does have major improvement over xp but MS failed to sell these points because their marketing branch is weak, a result of too many years of monopoly.
deandownunder said:
siiix said:
[b]Originally posted by deandownunder:[/b][quote]I run Vista on a laptop ( I didn't have a choice) and XP on my desktop. As far as I am concerned Vista is like an auto manufacturer adding a facelift to an already great auto just to generate extra sales and make it look different whilst ensuring many of your existing accesssories won't work unless you upgrade. Until M$ produce a ground up total rebuild with few or no bugs Im sticking with XP.[/quote]except the facelift is really not that great at all , in fact compared to 3rd party "facelift" applications, XP can look better then vista and its still faster and does barely even cost any moneyvista is a waste of money and time, its a truly crappy product just for that reasonas i do not pay for my OS i did try vista on several PC's and they all ended up with XP after a few months
windmill007 said:
Great thinking poundsmack! Lets hope they are doing what you say. if windows 7 isn't truly revolutionary I may be with this "old" xp a long time. I was trying to troubleshoot networking on a vista machine. What a nightmare. They try to make it easy for newbies and in reality make it hard to troubleshoot anything. Same with wireless card and such trying to install there own wireless controller software. Why do that xp does it fine itself. To much "newbie" garbage is never good except to the newbies. Thats why a lot prefer XP. We are professionals and don't need fancy let me hold your hand but slow you down software. We want fast, usable software. Don't fancy it up. Thats the way most of these companies are going. Antivirus software is another. Thats why the products are being shunned by anyone but the newbies. Sure it looks good but do you really realize the old not good looking software did the same but faster?
windmill007 said:
[b]Originally posted by nirkon:[/b][quote]Wow @poundsmack, that is a very interestring idea...although they are currently involved in a 300 million dollar campaign to 'save' vista's reputation (as you can see, just scroll up and look at the ads here), so quite frankly, I don't think they're that smart to pull that one off! ::P[/quote]What ads....oh wait....thats right.... I have firefox...No ads :) And tivo at home... No commercials.... Guess I missed Microsoft big ad compaign. I heard thru the grapevine Vista still sucks so I guess its not working...I'm sure I'll be getting a critical XP patch soon and will be getting the Vista is awesome popups that will be impossible to remove ;)
PanicX said:
I don't see how Vista could be a marketing ploy for Windows 7. It would be the most expensive marketing campaign in history which is completely useless for any company that maintains a monopoly like Microsoft. Why spend billions on creating and marketing software that will upset so many customers and even drive many to Apple and Linux. Then assume that you could win everyone over with the next operating system, which in all likelihood will be just as unnecessary of an "upgrade".Sounds more likely that they've promised revenue increases to share holders and have to produce a product. Unfortunately, they're trying to setup shop in a market that has high expectations and several solutions that already meet or exceed these expectations. They really need to offer a product that provides more than what's already available to win over the crowd... and they haven't.And then there's this[url]http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/news/article/0
289142,sid14_gci1324395,00.html[/url]
poundsmack said:
[b]Originally posted by PanicX:[/b][quote]I don't see how Vista could be a marketing ploy for Windows 7. It would be the most expensive marketing campaign in history which is completely useless for any company that maintains a monopoly like Microsoft. Why spend billions on creating and marketing software that will upset so many customers and even drive many to Apple and Linux. "this could be done for a few reasons. 1 there were a few technology changes and things that were introduced, like how the video drivers are now no longer in the kernel and are in user land, as well as the introduction to direct x 10. microsoft wants these newer technologies in the hands of developers because thats what they are going ot be using in future versions (or at least windows 7). so even if it isnt polished and perfect microsoft wants its new tech out there. they could have simply done this to XP but then that would not force users to upgrade, people would be able to stay where they are. so micorsoft introducese new features without polish to get the world ready. windows ME introduced system resore points and other things that xp would later have in it. (this has nothing to do with one having a 9x kernel and the other being NT technology, just getting that out of the way so someone doesnt bring it up). and we all saw how well windows ME turned out. BUT, it got people ready for things to come and made the next OS that much more appealingas far as the most expensive marketing campaign in history, your right, and you can look at is as a good faith investment from MS. any publicity is good publicity as it being recognition of the product. having MS's monopoly being slightly threatend by google and others (linux, OSX) coming out with good tech, microsoft needed the spotlight ot be on them, having their name out there constantly so as not to be over looked. Microsoft has deep pockets and can take a hit and a loss on Vista and still come out with a profit a year or so into the launch of windows 7 (in theory if sales continue to escalate as they have been over teh past 5 years). again just more food for thought...
fullmetalvegan said:
[b]Originally posted by aolish:[/b][quote]what huge benefits does vista has to offer to make it worth shelling out hundreds of dollars to spend on an OS that makes you spend even MORE money on hardware just to make an OS run properly? The purty looking UI? A mac os x search bar? Not to mention Windows 7 coming out 2010? Not enough to warrant in spending that much money. [/quote]Vista doesn't require 'shelling out hundreds of dollars on hardware to have it run' - it'll run on the cheapest PC you could make nowadays. Obviously you can't expect a computer from the DDR1 era to run it very well, my mum's DDR1 PC struggles to even run XP on 1GB of RAM. So the hardware requirements are all very relative and reasonable.Not to mention 2GB of RAM and a Dual-core procressor are dirt cheap anyway, so why you claim you have to fork out hundreds and hundreds is beyond me.
PanicX said:
@poundsmackAgain, it seems like flawed logic to me. The reason Windows XP was so successful was that it branched 2 market segments (Business and Home User) unlike Windows 9X/ME, and was built on Windows 2000 which was their best OS to date. It also contained a number of new technologies that made it compelling to upgrade and also offered performance gains in many areas. To say that Windows ME shortcomings is the reason XP did so well just doesn't sound accurate. At this point in time, Microsoft has heavy competition from various competitors. Apple and Linux are making gains in market share and producing increasingly impressive solutions. Right now, bad PR is not something they should be accepting. I think they've realized this with their sudden influx of marketing spending to help Vista's image, unfortunately I don't thing Vista's problem is a product with a bad name, but instead a product that doesn't meet expectations. And to be honest, I think Windows 7 is already being over hyped and is also likely to disappoint. Call me foolish if you want, but I think we're witnessing Microsoft begin their decent from power.@fullmetalvegan$480.64 Cheapest Dell with dual core and 2GB ram and Vista Home Basic @dell.comBut dont kid yourself, we all know that PC would be a headache to even do mundane tasks on.
jdl2020 said:
I have vista on my laptop and it does have some nice features but the reliability of XP was such a huge leap for me as a MS user I do not want to upgrade my families other 3 computers.When you have delt with a computer with ME on it, anything is better. Since I have had XP on our computers we have not had to re-format, or have we had the massive amount of errors we had leading up to XP. IMHO, MS would have done better basicly inhancing XP and marketing Vista as something like XP2 or something like that. XP in my experiences has been really reliable and vastly more user friendly than any other OS they have had. The one major drawback for the average user was the networking/wizard on XP. As an XP user, the reliability of XP was a major leap for MS and Vista has had several issues with compatability with various other programs along with IE7 having many problems. Long live XP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old101 said:
The sad truth is Vista is just not worth the money. Compared to XP it comes in too many versions that mean little to consumers. If Vista came in intwo versions, Home and Pro, about $10 above the XP price (That's about what it is worth), it would have been a dominant Windows version by now.About Windows 7, if what I read in computer magazines is right, it will be another excercise in eye candy, unwanted features and BS.