Bethesda talks about DRM and Fallout 3

By Justin Mann on October 2, 2008, 1:20 PM
Bethesda doesn't believe in DRM, it seems, or at least that's the consensus following a recent interview with them over Fallout 3. While the company is certainly concerned about piracy, it seems they won't be including bulky DRM with their next big release, Fallout 3. They do mention down the road that they like how Valve has handled things with Steam, and believe that is a more appropriate way to deal with piracy. They believe that not interfering with someone playing the game is a priority, and that will be reflected once the game is released, by having removed anything that is a hindrance to the player which can include DRM.

There are many companies, such as EA, who claim that DRM is absolutely necessary and that it's impossible to have a game released without it. And yet, despite this, DRM seems to do absolutely nothing to stop piracy, only causing serious headaches for people who purchase legal copies.

I think companies that realize this and have opted not to put bulky DRM on their titles, as Bethesda is doing and has done in the past, should be applauded. For those companies that stick to that believe that DRM is not needed, I hope gamers show them their support. Aside from that, this was an excellent interview if you are a Bethesda fan, definitely read it.

bun-bun said:
I've never played fallout. Never cared to either really.Tonight I am pre-ordering fallout 3 and downloading 1 & 2 if that offer is still availible. Why?Because they are against DRM.EA I hope you are reading this. I refuse to buy spore and anymore of your games even though I have been waiting for spore for over a year!
eafshar said:
dustin_ds3000 said:
[b]Originally posted by eafshar:[/b][quote]ya same here.. i havent played any of the fallout 3 games but have seen the trailers and it looks good. after reading that they are against DRMs im for sure buying it.on the side note i think steam is the best thing so far to stopping piracy. Bethesda 2-- EA 0 ea is also my initials so this is awkward.[/quote]steam does nothing to stop piracy, i got HL2 EP2 the same week it came out illegally
eafshar said:
it works nicely with team fortress2 and other online games.. so it only works with the multiplayer ones. i take back my comment as i have no proof for it working in single player games.
mopar man said:
bun-bun said:
[b]Originally posted by mopar man:[/b][quote]Non-Steam games are usually of lesser quality. You can get any multiplayer game illegally, non steam, and still play online, just not with Steam users.Also, Fallout 2, while good, got quite, quite boring after 15 minutes...And to the user who said he had wated for spore for a year, you know you don't have to buy it to play it, right? ;)[/quote]Regardless of whether I can or can not play it without buying it (or whether I have played it or not) is not the point.Point and case - EA will not get my money as long as they continue using draconian methods of DRM. 2kgames gave me my first taste of this... bought bioshock due to praise it received from good friends of mine and I bought it two days after release (which is unheard of for me... I usually wait unless I know it's a game I like... like a continuation of a series I am playing) I never did get to play the game because I stopped the installation when it tried to "phone" home. Ever since even when I have pirated it I can't bring myself to play it due to a bad taste in my mouth, metaphorically speaking.