Download of the Week: VLC media player

By on February 19, 2009, 6:13 AM
When it comes to audio and – especially – video files, you’d be hard-pressed finding a media player that can beat the versatility and ease of use that VLC offers. This cross platform application can not only play almost any media file available right out of the box without the need for additional codecs, but also functions as a streaming media server and can transcode files from one format to another.

Though not intended to be used as a DVD ripping tool, VLC can certainly get that job done too – if you don’t mind the extra steps involved. It also ignores DVD region coding, making it a region free player you can rely on when purchasing movies abroad. Other less conventional features include the ability to do screencasts and record the desktop. Best of all, VLC media player is free open source software with versions available for Windows, Mac OS X, various Linux distributions and more. You can find a complete features list for every platform here, where you’ll also get a good sense of the vast number of formats supported.

peacefulchaos said:
I don't have anything intelligent to say as it's all already been said in the article, but VLC is definitely FTW. :)
Xempler said:
Only player I use for everything including mp3s....don't need anything else.
computorial said:
Much like gom player it is fully functional media player without the need for installing separate video codecs, that usually slow down PC. As a tech blogger I know a lot of software and this little app is that good it remains my only video player.
PanicX said:
Also works great on my iPhone!
Julio said:
tedster said:
Tried it. Doesn't work on most of my movies. Video hangs.Tried KM player - also free and works all the time.
PanicX said:
[b]Originally posted by Julio:[/b][quote]VLC for the iPhone huh? I guess I have barely touched the app store after the first-second month it opened to the public.[/quote] Won't find it on the App store. Installed mine via Cydia (jail break installer)
Julio said:
[b]Originally posted by PanicX:[/b][quote]Won't find it on the App store. Installed mine via Cydia (jail break installer)[/quote]Ok, thanks for the note. I've also got that :). I barely use my iPhone for media playback however.
oinari said:
I used VLC for a very long time, mostly for HD mkv's. But until they fix the fullscreen on secondary monitors bug, it's uninstalled and GOM player has taken it's place. =(
rcballa12 said:
VLC easily got around not having a software DVD decoder installed on my PC. I use it for DVD playback but not much else for the time being. I used to have it play network streams as well.