Amazing "sixth sense" technology shown off at TED

By on March 11, 2009, 12:26 PM
The Technology, Entertainment, Design conference – otherwise known simply as TED – is an exclusive annual conference that serves as a launch pad for “ideas worth spreading.” Its participants usually include well-achieved personalities such as former presidents, Nobel Prize winners and successful executives from a number of fields, but also less known entrepreneurs with innovative and world-changing ideas.

Hundreds of lectures and demonstrations have been delivered since 1984 and one in particular from Pattie Maes' lab at MIT was the buzz of TED this year. Dubbed 'sixth sense', this device is the brainchild of student Pranav Mistry and combines optical sensors with mobile connectivity to augment the physical world around us with digital information.

For instance, one could seamlessly pull up data on various items while shopping for groceries, interact with this information based on gestures and even take photos by forming a frame with your fingers. You really have to watch the video demo after the jump to fully understand what the project is about, but basically, it should enable users to interact with any real life surface by using gestures and have constant access to relevant and real time information available on the web.

cyrusjumpjet said:
nazartp said:
[b]Originally posted by cyrusjumpjet:[/b][quote]I'm not too floored by this considering all the parts you have to wear on your body to make it work. Seems like this technology isn't too different from the Wii.....[/quote]I can see it being pretty miniature if it ever reaches the customer. But in general I was underwhelmed by implications. The speaker objects to the idea of Googling someone but is OK with waving hands in from of them? :)
Wendig0 said:
As she said, it is "Still a work in process" (I think she meant progress), and the technology is amazing. The possibilities for this are immeasurable! Once brought to open market, I'm sure it will be available in a smaller package. Very impressive.[Edited by Wendig0 on 2009-03-11 14:19:22]
JosVilches said:
[b]Originally posted by cyrusjumpjet:[/b][quote]I'm not too floored by this considering all the parts you have to wear on your body to make it work.[/quote]This is just a prototype. I'm sure that if it ever reaches the consumer market it will do so in a completely different form.
Eddie_42 said:
nazartp said:
[b]Originally posted by Eddie_42:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by nazartp:[/b][quote]But in general I was underwhelmed by implications. The speaker objects to the idea of Googling someone but is OK with waving hands in from of them? :)[/quote]Did you watch the movie?There was no hand waving, it was based on some form of facial or voice recognition. Then the info was projected.Absolutely amazing.[/quote]Quit midway through. Still relatively unimpressed - cute device and idea, implications, meh, just combining bunch of existing functions in one device.
BlindObject said:
That looks funnn. I see it becoming a trend in the future. The phone one thing is pretty amazing.
JDoors said:
I imagine this is what phones will be in the not-too-distant future. A small, wearable device with nearly infinite possibilities. Now, where do you stick the printer? ;)
avoidz said:
This will really help me decide which toilet rolls to buy. Thanks!
9Nails said:
I'll never get yelled at by my wife for picking the wrong toilet paper again! yeay!I think the display might work better if it were laser based instead of incandescent light. It looked like some places it wasn't bright enough to read it. But, a work in progress. If it ever does replace some of the display on my phone I could get used to it.
dmunson said: