Creator of Duke Nukem, 3D Realms closes its doors

By on May 7, 2009, 9:45 AM
Update (5/10): Former employees of 3D Realms have posted on their blogs some concept art and a video showing some footage of what appears to be Duke Nukem Forever. If you haven't had your dose of vaporware already, the word now is that a new willing developer will have to pick up the game where 3D Realms left off, in order for the project to see the light.

The rumor that developer 3D Realms along with the recently resurrected Apogee name, had been shut down first broke over at Shacknews yesterday. After a series of updates, a confirmation of the developer’s demise was released by staff member Joe Siegler on the 3D Realms forum. Joe was the voice of Duke Nukem II's gruff star as well as the company’s webmaster and forum moderator. The closure comes as a shock to fans and employees alike, and is cited to be the result of funding issues. Employees have already been let go.

3D Realms is most known for its creation of Duke Nukem and publishing Wolfenstein 3D, both of which made our nostalgic dip into FPS history. The studio had been developing the strongly anticipated next entry in the Duke franchise, Duke Nukem Forever, for over 12 years. Efforts to complete the game increased in 2007, which was evident by a teaser released late that year. A recent Tweet by CEO, George Broussard gave fans an inkling of hope: “Closing out a milestone this week. 71 more tasks to do and we started with probably 800-900. Been a good push. Next one starts Monday.”

Apogee Software and Deep Silver have stated that despite the unfortunate and sudden turn of events, Frontline Games’ upcoming handheld Duke Nukem Trilogy is unaffected. Take-Two Interactive, the slated publisher for Duke Nukem Forever, has released a statement saying that its arrangement with the studio did not include ongoing funds for development. Additionally, they claim to still have a hold on the publishing rights to Duke Nukem Forever.

yukka said:
Well I never believed we would see Duke Nukem Forever - to make a game with that much condensed detail is difficult with 3D as we know it now. 12 years is an insane amount of time to develop any title but to see the company go down before its completed is a sad state of affairs.At least they could accidentally leak a few of the alphas they must have in the storerooms :)
captain828 said:
hamsteyr said:
Forever we have waited, and now forever it will not bear its face. Though it does say that Take Two interactive has the rights to Duke Nukem, i think if they were to bring back duke nukem, ditch the forever name. We're all sick of seeing forever >.>
MrAnderson said:
Doesn't Wolfenstein 3D belong to id Software. It might have been published by Apogee..cannot remember that far back. But I'm sure Carmac's company created Wolfenstein...3D Realms more resent involvement with the Title Prey is also germane.It is sad that Duke Nukem goes down. It has taken so long to produce a working title that it seems to be the most lengendary vaporware of all time. I wonder if there is even any Developer/Publisher who would want to touch this IP (although popular - but with a history that can make a failured release turn sour). Should it should fade into the background after all.
Matthew said:
skitzo_zac said:
I want to play DNF :(
Tekkaraiden said:
9Nails said:
That sucks.
Matthew said:
Julio said:
It's a shame though I would love to know if DNF was vaporware all the way, or when it was really dropped or if there are any playable pieces of it left.
i3rucei3ruce said:
I read PCG a lot, and I remember when there was a brief surge of info around 2007/early 2008 on DNF. There was this one story of this guy who had pre-ordered the title at a GameStop, before it was called GameStop. He had a picture of the stub for the pre-order, and claimed he had kept it in his wallet for the past 11 years. PCG said that they would refund the money he had paid in the event DNF is never released and what is now called GameStop refuses to honor his stub. I can't believe that incredible story is coming to frution.
gingerbill said:
i suppose it's not surprising , how mental must they be to take that long making a game till they eventually go bankrupt , sounds stupid.
captain828 said:
[b]Originally posted by Matthew:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by Tekkaraiden:[/b][quote]Wow they only produced Prey, they didn't develop it. They haven't developed a completed game since 1997.[/quote]...Which I would have noticed had I bothered to click the link on Wiki, heh. Good call.Any predictions on whether Duke Nukem Forever will be picked up by another studio? Is that even possible?[/quote]I believe Take-Two has rights over the DNF moniker.Come to think of it, DNF stands for Did Not Finish in racing. :(Regarding Prey, they statistically just published it, but this little snippet tells the truth:[quote]The final game released by 3D Realms was Prey, a game released on July 11, 2006 after being stuck in development hell for eleven years. Prey was originally developed internally by 3D Realms, but after several years of delays, the company paid Humanhead Studios to develop the game.[/quote][Edited by captain828 on 2009-05-08 00:48:35]
Per Hansson said:
I'm so sorry to hear of this news, for the people working at 3DRealms that now loose their jobsI was 13 when Duke Nukem 3D came out, I played it more than any other game I've owned since. Now I'm 26 so I've waited half my life for Duke Nukem ForeverVery sad to see it not getting released, especially keeping the recent screenshots and videos of it in mindThere was actually a new video leaked today, made originally by Bryan Brewer at 3DRealms, it really shows how far they have come and how fun this game seems to beHere is hoping that Duke Nukem Forever will still get completed and released in some form, would be a real shame to just let all that work be for nothing!
Julio said:
I have updated this story with links for the released concept art and embedded the video footage released by former 3D Realms employees.
Julio said:
More concept art shots:[url]http://squidcakes.blogspot.com/2009/05/some-more-
tuff.html[/url]
captain828 said:
Is it me or the game looks mega cool??
ElShotte said:
The game does look good. It wouldn't be a stupid move for any company to buy the game as is so far and finish it. It seems as if 3D Realms made a very wrong business decision when they severed their ties with iD after the release of Doom, they were doing quite well before that. Also, they should have concentrated their resources more on finishing Duke Nukem Forever instead of starting Prey since that would most likely net them in a good amount of income thus possibly preventing their closing.
MrAnderson said:
[b]Originally posted by Matthew:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by captain828:[/b][quote]Also not surprised to see them go bankrupt... they haven't gotten anything out their door for 12 years!!I'm not cheering thought, as probably we will see a "Duke Nukem Forever" in the end, but I doubt it will be the one they've been developing for so much time.[/quote]"The final game released by 3D Realms was Prey, a game released on July 11, 2006..." [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3d_realms[/url]Either way, yeah - they've been relatively inactive in the last chunk of history.*Edit*Haha, MrAnderson you got to Prey first :). Thank you for netting the error concerning Wolfenstein 3D. That'll be the last time I type based on memory (I worked on the FPS article back in January). It has been modified.[Edited by Matthew on 2009-05-07 15:47:18][/quote]Yeah, well, I only knew because I am a fan of the old school developers. I have a lot of respect for them because they still maintain a level of garage style development in an industry where many will struggle to keep their doors open.Also, since I re-read my copy of the Masters of Doom at the end of 2008 =) -Cheers
tmservo said:
So, how long until investors sue because they've been defrauded?