Study claims gamers get less sleep

By on June 11, 2009, 12:58 PM
According to a recent study, gamers who play for more than seven hours a week sleep less than casual or non-gamers. The study claims to have linked a direct correlation between the number of hours played and sleepiness. During the 2009 SLEEP event, it was shown that avid gamers snooze less throughout the week and have higher rates of sleepiness.

As a whole, hardcore gamers were observed to exhibit poorer sleep habits than light gamers. On average, participants who reported that gaming interfered with their sleep slept for 1.6 hours less than other gamers. Even further, those who claimed to be addicted to gaming averaged one hour less sleep on weekdays.

While the statistics showed that admittedly addicted gamers scored higher on the Epworth Sleepiness Scale, only about one third of them recognized sleep interference. Personally, I can attest that when Iím hooked on a game, I often exchange hours in dreamland for those in a digital reality.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

LOL....this article should have ended with a gigantic "DUH."

I don't know how many times I've been wrapped up in a good game and before I knew it, it was 2-3 a.m. in the morning. ;-)

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

I can't say I found the overall message of the study to be compelling - as I said, I too skimp on sleep during gaming binges. I found it interesting to see some actual figures, though.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

2 or 3am? I didn't get to sleep until 7am this morning. I don't really see the point in spending money on a scientific study that everyone knows the answer to to begin with.

Study claims water is actually wet to the touch.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

2-3 a.m. in the morning? A good game left me with 2 hours or less of sleep before work before >_< it IS a giant DUH.

My parents call me unearthly lolz

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

and besides!, its not true, i game all the time and.....there's ....ahh.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Ok, Ok...I'll admit it. I've definitely pulled my fair share of gaming all-nighters. I'm pretty sure beer was involved too. =)

polidiotic said:

I've definitely gamed until the wee hours of the morning... ever since Warcraft II. =X I've had all nighters of counter-strike in college (just didn't sleep at all), and World of Warcraft. Those have been replaced by CS: Source, TF 2, L4D and several others. The formula's the same, but the sleeping hours have changed from 5-6am to 2-3am, now that I work for a living. lol

Captain828 Captain828 said:

TomSEA said:

I still remember those sleepless nights when I was playing Sins of a Solar Empire or SupCom.

gobbybobby said:

I have played Unreal 3 and Gears 2 until dawn before, its normal right? When you get a new game you want to play is as much as possible, maybe spend all night completing the story/campaign modes before moving on to multiplayer.

zzz... games, what? ...zzzz... ah yes.... shoot him !!!. .....zzzz..... stupid studies..... kill !!! ....zzzz

one hour less sleep on weekdays? its not true. im experience gamer, veteran level. im not sleeping and my energy is never decrease. however, half an hour sleep is enough, there is no time to waste. see you in battlefield! come on, soldier!

Kiunno said:

Good to hear we're all in the same boat, Im addicted to .........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :) Crysis Wars, Sunday night last i think I bet my record.... 10 am oooh I'm so bold, beer was involved though