Microsoft Morro screenshots leaked online

By on June 16, 2009, 6:10 PM
Back in November, Microsoft announced plans to kill its Windows Live OneCare subscription-based security suite and replace it with a free antimalware solution; codenamed “Morro.” The software giant only said at that time that the new offering would be available in the second half of 2009, but it appears some testers are already taking it for a spin, and Neowin has managed to obtain some screenshots of the upcoming suite.


The leaked screenshots show an interface somewhat similar to Windows Defender, offering the typical variety of options such as quick, full and custom scans, as well as virus and spyware definition downloads and scheduled scan settings. There’s not much more we can infer with regard to the software’s functionality from these shots, but ZDNet is reporting that Morro will be almost entirely cloud-based, although exactly how that would work remains unknown.

Morro is expected to provide simple anti-malware features and compete with similar free products from other providers. Although it will likely debut in its final form around the same time Windows 7 launches, it should be available as a separate download to avoid anti-trust concerns, and will also work with Windows Vista and XP.




User Comments: 5

Got something to say? Post a comment
Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

... aaaand here come the Euopean union fines ...

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I hope this is a decent Anti-Virus, they should have been giving us free anti-virus anyway considering they're the ones who don't program Windows well enough to be virus proof. Although I still think Microsoft make some of the viruses.

Docnoq said:

burty117 said:

I hope this is a decent Anti-Virus, they should have been giving us free anti-virus anyway considering they're the ones who don't program Windows well enough to be virus proof. Although I still think Microsoft make some of the viruses.

Making an OS "virus-proof" is a lot more difficult than it sounds. We probably wouldn't have an OS to use if we had to wait for the "virus-proof" OS to be released. If you are referring to the fact that OS X is not as prone to viruses as Windows, just think about it this way: If you are smart enough to create a virus with the intention of infecting as many users as possible, would you focus your efforts on an operating system that only 10% of people in the world use, or would you focus your efforts on the operating system that the other 90% uses? The figures are just estimates, but the point is the same.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If it works ill install it on my vista installation. I havent had any spyware issues with Vista using defender and currently use AVG. Sometimes I go for Avast but if this works well.. Ill definately give it a look.

T77 T77 said:

i hope other than a pretty face it will also do a pretty good job at protecting the os.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.