Microsoft unveils Windows 7 pricing, upgrade programs

By on June 25, 2009, 10:11 AM
Microsoft has finally announced pricing for its upcoming Windows 7 operating system, and is offering some substantial savings for those willing to order an upgrade nearly four months before the software officially goes on sale. Starting tomorrow, customers in the US, Canada or Japan who already own a PC running XP or Vista will be able to pre-order the upgrade disc at around half the price that they’ll eventually sell for.

This means you can pre-order Windows 7 Home Premium for $49.99 or Windows 7 Professional for $99.99 – Windows 7 Ultimate is not part of this discount plan though. The pre-order deal will be accessible at store.microsoft.com and most major retailers through July 11 or “until a certain number of licenses is sold,” which supposedly adds up to about a year of Vista sales volume at retail.

Microsoft also confirmed that, starting tomorrow, anyone who buys a PC “from a participating OEM or retailer” with Windows Vista Home Premium, Business or Ultimate on it will all receive a free upgrade to the equivalent version of Windows 7. The Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program will be available until January 31, 2010 and is global. As noted, the upgrade plan depends on the manufacturer, but I’m guessing most will want to participate.

Special offers aside, prices for Windows 7 will be largely in line with those for Vista. Microsoft has set the upgrade and full price for Windows 7 Home Premium at $120 and $200, respectively; $200 and $300 for Windows 7 Professional; or $220 and $320 for Windows 7 Ultimate. That saves you $10 and $40 compared to the upgrade and full editions of Vista Home Premium, but prices remain the same for the latter two.

All in all, Microsoft is offering some pretty decent deals for anyone itching to upgrade immediately or buy a new PC, but somehow I believe many Vista users will be irked by the fact that they are getting the same upgrade prices as those still clinging to Windows XP.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Oh, for crying out loud - Windows 7 Ultimate is not part of the new discount pricing?? What a load of crap....

Jibberish18 said:

I think all these prices are still way too high.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

There should be an option for people who purchased vista ultimate at least, to be able to upgrade to W7 ultimate at a discounted price. If this doesnt change, Vista will be the last os I buy from M$

KingDingDong said:

wth.i got vista utlimate and no upgrade discount...what else are they going to rape us on....... oh yea THE PRICE!!!

polidiotic said:

supersmashbrada said:

Haha, I've heard that one before. In fact, I've said that before. ;P

There's really no pleasing everyone, though, when it comes to MS. I only purchased Vista x64 Home Premium and have been pleased with it. The upgrade for only $50 sounds pretty damn good to me, so sign me up. I mean, really? What're you using in the Ultimate editions that makes the extra $ worth it?

Badfinger said:

What's the difference between the 3 versions?

Looks like I will be waiting for 7 SP1 before seriously considering it.

Stonos said:

The EU commission screwed us up again. No upgrade option for Europeans: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8118749.stm

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Stonos, maybe you should read the article you link?

Getting the full version of Windows7 for the price of the upgrade version sounds like a quite awsome deal to me!

"In Europe, the full version will be priced as if it were an upgrade version."

"In the UK, the Home Premium edition of Windows 7 will be £79.99. Ordinarily, an upgrade version would only be available to those with an existing Windows licence. However, as all European versions are full versions this distinction will not apply."

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

OK, assuming that I've read the article correctly, you can get a full (?) copy of Windows 7 Premium for $50.00. (At least for the time being). If that's correct, it would almost pay to buy a copy, then sit on it until they get "all" the bugs worked out. Or until SP1, whichever comes first.

why dont you try writing an os yourself?

Because, Guest, if someone that had no experience wrote an OS, it'd end up being the copy of a Mac OS.

Zeromus said:

Writing a full fledged operating system with support for hardware that rivals microsoft would be a task too challenging. There's tons of hardware that windows works with and to make an operating system that challenges windows software-wise would be quite the feat due to microsoft's closed source policy from their developers. There's already too many feature's that microsoft's engineered that barely expands onto the linux platforms already, not to mention it's the most. Right now ReactOS doesn't even compare to the majority of the component Windows comprises, such as .NET and object frameworks.

Chill people, Vista Ultimate is eligible for free upgrade to win 7 ultimate per microsoft OEM website.

Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate for free? Where did you see that? Could you post the URL?

Thanks

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Go here, I created a thread with a link for the upgrade. And Vista Ultimate Users get a free upgrade to W7 ultimate.

Not only do I have no intention of buying "Windows 7," I am not buying Vista, either. I'm buying a computer that has Windows XP. How things do change - I don't like XP because of the move to activation but . It blows my mind that they can sell you software and dictate how many computers you can put it on - your OWN computers. (Good thing Microsoft doesn't control books - we'd have no lending libraries.) I still have Windows 98SE on my desktop and it's working fine and I don't even miss Microsoft's "support" - the only problem is with new peripherals, software, and gadgets that don't work with 98.) I want to buy a new operating system the way I do a car - when I decide it's worth it. ME, not Detroit. When it makes sense because my old one doesn't cut it anymore, when it makes sense because the new one has features I want, (with O/S - when I-I-I decide to put up with the learning curve - imagine if you had to spend time learning how to drive your new car), not when someone else decides to foist it on me. I realize I'm well on my way to being an I.T. dinosaur, but I see no reason to have a new operating system every couple of years (which sometimes necessitates purchase of a new computer, too). May end up having to jump ship on Microsoft since I don't see them changing their ways.

that link goes to a thread about world of warcraft on a laptop :)

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

fixed, thx.

why should an old fart like me want an update? for some of us we will never get past what we have. i have so much now if i pay to have more my head will explode.

IanDSamson said:

Apart from also being an "old fart" (been working with PCs since PC-DOS 2.0) and have grown up with these machines, from the days when software was "affordable" to these days when it is way beyond "affordable" or reasonable! For Windows 7 Ultimate to NOT be included in M$'s discount packaging is avarice of the first degree. I have 5 machines: desktops with Windows 2000 SP4, XP-Home and Vista Ultimate 64-bit, and two laptops each with Vista Business 32. There is no way that I can afford to upgrade all these machines especially since I would need a new scanner, new printer, new software applications, virtually "new" everything, just to satisfy M$. No way! I have friends running Windows 95 and XP and they are not changing. This time, neither am I. Vista Ultimate 64-bit will have to be my terminal OS.

Things change, move and develop, hence we need later versions of OS's, I have no issue with that. If I need these new/later/ehanced features I have to upgrade, I have no issue with that either. However, experience has taught me that unless you have a relatively recent PC, not to mention peripherals, upgrading your OS is generally a painful and ultimately pointless exercise. Wait for the new OS to go stable, usually SP1, then buy a new PC.

And there are no good technical reasons for MS to have multiple versions of an OS. All the reasons for doing so are purely financial and for that alone MS deserve most of the criticsism that comes their way.

Peter

Who honestly pays for a microsoft OS nowadays anyway? The reason they are pirated so often is because M$ is too damn greedy for their own good. I'm proud to say I will never pay money for an OS on my PC... but then again that's why I tend to run linux. More power to all of you for hoping for a price drop but honestly Windows 7 will be cracked a long time before it hits retail shelves, so save your money and give M$ the shaft along with the rest of us.

Ya pirate that ****...or just use Linux... **** YOU Microcrap!!!!!!!!

Ya pirate that ****...or just use Linux... **** YOU Microcrap!!!!!!!!

I believe it was supposed to read "Ya pirate that $h1T or just use LInux FUhQ Microcrap!

why are we still worrying about Microsoft, a company who uses the toher guys products(linux) on all their crucial systems?

ChrisDown ChrisDown said:

Your post reads as simple elitism. It boggles the mind.

Windows is often faulted by *nix fanboys, but for all that they say about it I have never been deterred from using Windows. It is still a nifty operating system, most of the complaints about Linux working better than windows are simply because the users operating Linux are of a higher technical caliber than the masses that use Windows.

So why are we still worrying about Microsoft? Simply because the majority of us will still be using their products, whether it be because of compatibility, or because we simply can't stand the elitism and needless overcomplication provided by Linux.

Your post reads as simple elitism. It boggles the mind.

and this is why you will always continue to pay needless amounts of money for only half working os's because your to afraid to look at what the other guy has to offer or to learn there are several distrobutions of linux which cater towards people who don't wanna learn linux. They can be used just like windows, in some cases much easier. So before you comment next time have atleast a partail clue of what your talking about.

If yoyu thing that these prices are to high then you are still living in the great depression. Just take it when you can(which is now)

ChrisDown ChrisDown said:

I have NetBSD and Debian running on two of my terminals, and have been running them for the past two years. I am well aware of 'what the other guy has to offer'.

Yeah, and if you only upgrade to "professional" you have to do a clean install (you have to re-install everything). Basically you get screwed if you bought Vista Ultimate.

For people that have Vista Ultimate - no discount

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

So, what other half is Windows missing? :\

LOL. This is completely untrue. I really like Linux... I *use* Linux... But as soon as you need to edit a config file, its usability is out the window for most people.

To do anything worthwhile, you have to elevate yourself to root. On most distros, that means cracking open a terminal and use something like gksudo/kdesu to launch some text editor or doing it 100% terminal style with something like sudo vim (LOL, good luck mom!) or sudo nano.

While you're at it, try telling your mom *how* and *why* she has to edit the /etc/fstab file because can't execute programs off of her USB drive or what she needs to do to get her broadcom wifi chip working... Her eyes will gloss over.

Most of Linux's shortcomings can be solved by better support from manufacturers and developers (installers that automate the process). But with so many distros, a number of base distros (Debian, Slackware etc..) and desktop managers to configure your module or application installer for, most Windows developers would *choose* not to switch. Hell, to even install ./firefox, you still have to open the terminal. As long as Linux doesn't get away from this behavior, it will never be the right choice for 'most' people.

Toppler said:

I just tried doing the purchase of windows 7 as an upgrade. However it requires proof of purchase of the vista operating system between the specific upgrade months (i believe now until like October) So really we don't get it free unless we just bought vista for some dumb reason.

What about the UK? The poor cousin again!!!!!

spikester48661 spikester48661 said:

I used windows 7RC its ok.But not paying $200 for a full 7 disc.I,ll be useing XP sp3 for a long time to come... microsoft can pay me to use windows 7.. long live XP and linux!!!!!!

Windows 7 is So much better than Vista. been beta testing since early stages. would buy now BUT..

Microsoft are still money grabbing as the US offer is $49.99 for Home and $99.99 for pro and the same offer for UK users is Suprise Suprise £49.99 and £99.99 which works out as $82.25 and $164.51 at todays rates. and thats without adding taxes which in the E.U adds 20% to the price as they are based in Ireland.

So glad I have an american email address and po.box.

Do Microsoft think were "soft" or just dont know how to use the internet and a currency converter.

Great product!!.. " Stupid" owners..

The thing is windows 7 ultimate only has bitlocker and the language programs over windows 7 pro this is there going back to basics moto they have been trying to get out there. Its like xp and xp pro there trying to loose the ultimate promises as they put it so im running windows vista ultimate 64bit and i will upgrade to windows 7 pro for 100 bucks and it will give eveything i have in vista .

Its very shameful of Microsoft not to offer Vista Ultimate users any kind of a deal to seal the wounds of spending all that $$$$$ just for some lousy applications called "Extras" in the Microsoft language. All Vista Ultimate users are very much enraged by not even being offered a discount like the Home Premium and Business users. A lot of Vista Ultimate users, myself included, are starting to stare at MAC and thinking about leaving the PC. Microsoft better do something before its too late...

luvhuffer luvhuffer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

AH HA HA HA HA HA! All these pricing games/options are giving me an option headache.

wow guys i think the pricing is way reasonable. the pricing is fairly close to vista pricing and if u havent tried the RC1 yet, then u dont know what ur missing. the only issue i have had is finding good antivirus support for windows 7. other than that finding drivers has not been easier. besides did they even offer a discount from xp to vista.