Microsoft unveils Windows 7 pricing, upgrade programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Microsoft has finally announced pricing for its upcoming Windows 7 operating system, and is offering some substantial savings for those willing to order an upgrade nearly four months before the software officially goes on sale. Starting tomorrow, customers in the US, Canada or Japan who already own a PC running XP or Vista will be able to pre-order the upgrade disc at around half the price that they’ll eventually sell for.

This means you can pre-order Windows 7 Home Premium for $49.99 or Windows 7 Professional for $99.99 – Windows 7 Ultimate is not part of this discount plan though. The pre-order deal will be accessible at store.microsoft.com and most major retailers through July 11 or “until a certain number of licenses is sold,” which supposedly adds up to about a year of Vista sales volume at retail.

Microsoft also confirmed that, starting tomorrow, anyone who buys a PC “from a participating OEM or retailer” with Windows Vista Home Premium, Business or Ultimate on it will all receive a free upgrade to the equivalent version of Windows 7. The Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program will be available until January 31, 2010 and is global. As noted, the upgrade plan depends on the manufacturer, but I’m guessing most will want to participate.

Special offers aside, prices for Windows 7 will be largely in line with those for Vista. Microsoft has set the upgrade and full price for Windows 7 Home Premium at $120 and $200, respectively; $200 and $300 for Windows 7 Professional; or $220 and $320 for Windows 7 Ultimate. That saves you $10 and $40 compared to the upgrade and full editions of Vista Home Premium, but prices remain the same for the latter two.

All in all, Microsoft is offering some pretty decent deals for anyone itching to upgrade immediately or buy a new PC, but somehow I believe many Vista users will be irked by the fact that they are getting the same upgrade prices as those still clinging to Windows XP.

Permalink to story.

Oh, for crying out loud - Windows 7 Ultimate is not part of the new discount pricing?? What a load of crap....

There should be an option for people who purchased vista ultimate at least, to be able to upgrade to W7 ultimate at a discounted price. If this doesnt change, Vista will be the last os I buy from M$

supersmashbrada said:
There should be an option for people who purchased vista ultimate at least, to be able to upgrade to W7 ultimate at a discounted price. If this doesnt change, Vista will be the last os I buy from M$

Haha, I've heard that one before. In fact, I've said that before. ;P

There's really no pleasing everyone, though, when it comes to MS. I only purchased Vista x64 Home Premium and have been pleased with it. The upgrade for only $50 sounds pretty damn good to me, so sign me up. I mean, really? What're you using in the Ultimate editions that makes the extra $ worth it?

What's the difference between the 3 versions?
Looks like I will be waiting for 7 SP1 before seriously considering it.

The EU commission screwed us up again. No upgrade option for Europeans: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8118749.stm

Stonos, maybe you should read the article you link?
Getting the full version of Windows7 for the price of the upgrade version sounds like a quite awsome deal to me!

"In Europe, the full version will be priced as if it were an upgrade version."

"In the UK, the Home Premium edition of Windows 7 will be £79.99. Ordinarily, an upgrade version would only be available to those with an existing Windows licence. However, as all European versions are full versions this distinction will not apply."

OK, assuming that I've read the article correctly, you can get a full (?) copy of Windows 7 Premium for $50.00. (At least for the time being). If that's correct, it would almost pay to buy a copy, then sit on it until they get "all" the bugs worked out. Or until SP1, whichever comes first.

Because, Guest, if someone that had no experience wrote an OS, it'd end up being the copy of a Mac OS.

Writing a full fledged operating system with support for hardware that rivals microsoft would be a task too challenging. There's tons of hardware that windows works with and to make an operating system that challenges windows software-wise would be quite the feat due to microsoft's closed source policy from their developers. There's already too many feature's that microsoft's engineered that barely expands onto the linux platforms already, not to mention it's the most. Right now ReactOS doesn't even compare to the majority of the component Windows comprises, such as .NET and object frameworks.

Chill people, Vista Ultimate is eligible for free upgrade to win 7 ultimate per microsoft OEM website.

Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate for free? Where did you see that? Could you post the URL?
Thanks

Not only do I have no intention of buying "Windows 7," I am not buying Vista, either. I'm buying a computer that has Windows XP. How things do change - I don't like XP because of the move to activation but . It blows my mind that they can sell you software and dictate how many computers you can put it on - your OWN computers. (Good thing Microsoft doesn't control books - we'd have no lending libraries.) I still have Windows 98SE on my desktop and it's working fine and I don't even miss Microsoft's "support" - the only problem is with new peripherals, software, and gadgets that don't work with 98.) I want to buy a new operating system the way I do a car - when I decide it's worth it. ME, not Detroit. When it makes sense because my old one doesn't cut it anymore, when it makes sense because the new one has features I want, (with O/S - when I-I-I decide to put up with the learning curve - imagine if you had to spend time learning how to drive your new car), not when someone else decides to foist it on me. I realize I'm well on my way to being an I.T. dinosaur, but I see no reason to have a new operating system every couple of years (which sometimes necessitates purchase of a new computer, too). May end up having to jump ship on Microsoft since I don't see them changing their ways.

why should an old fart like me want an update? for some of us we will never get past what we have. i have so much now if i pay to have more my head will explode.

Apart from also being an "old fart" (been working with PCs since PC-DOS 2.0) and have grown up with these machines, from the days when software was "affordable" to these days when it is way beyond "affordable" or reasonable! For Windows 7 Ultimate to NOT be included in M$'s discount packaging is avarice of the first degree. I have 5 machines: desktops with Windows 2000 SP4, XP-Home and Vista Ultimate 64-bit, and two laptops each with Vista Business 32. There is no way that I can afford to upgrade all these machines especially since I would need a new scanner, new printer, new software applications, virtually "new" everything, just to satisfy M$. No way! I have friends running Windows 95 and XP and they are not changing. This time, neither am I. Vista Ultimate 64-bit will have to be my terminal OS.

Things change, move and develop, hence we need later versions of OS's, I have no issue with that. If I need these new/later/ehanced features I have to upgrade, I have no issue with that either. However, experience has taught me that unless you have a relatively recent PC, not to mention peripherals, upgrading your OS is generally a painful and ultimately pointless exercise. Wait for the new OS to go stable, usually SP1, then buy a new PC.

And there are no good technical reasons for MS to have multiple versions of an OS. All the reasons for doing so are purely financial and for that alone MS deserve most of the criticsism that comes their way.

Peter

Who honestly pays for a microsoft OS nowadays anyway? The reason they are pirated so often is because M$ is too damn greedy for their own good. I'm proud to say I will never pay money for an OS on my PC... but then again that's why I tend to run linux. More power to all of you for hoping for a price drop but honestly Windows 7 will be cracked a long time before it hits retail shelves, so save your money and give M$ the shaft along with the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back