Weekend tech reading: Windows 7 to RTM July 13?

By on July 4, 2009, 6:55 PM
TS announcement Congratulations Matthew Iselin, winner of our Asus Eee netbook survey giveaway.

Windows 7 to RTM July 13? GeekSmack claims to have an (anonymous) inside source who can confirm an RTM date of July 13 for Microsoft’s latest OS. This coincides with the Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC09) being held in New Orleans. GeekSmack

Firefox developers foresee an early patch Despite having a pretty successful opening with 5 million downloads in the first day; the development team is already planning on rolling out v3.5.1. The release is expected to fix top crashes and bugs which almost prevented the launch. The Register

Valve Left 4 Dead 2 interview CVG sat down with Valve’s Doug Lombardi to discuss the upcoming Left 4 Dead sequel. Lombardi says the recent boycott (now over 37k members) won't affect the company’s plans. Also, there’s about seven minutes worth of L4D2 footage available – looking good. CVG

Pirate Bay 2.0 looked at in-depth The recent move by Global Gaming Factory has everyone wondering where the dust will settle. Although paying pirates to becoming consumers sounds great on paper, the model in its entirety seems overly ambitious and doomed to catastrophic failure. Wired

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

<dumb>If Windows 7 goes RTM early, do I still have to wait until October 22 for my pre-order?</dumb>

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

RTM is a phase prior to general availability (GA) - so, no, you won't be getting your pre-ordered copy on July 13 .

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I guess I'm not supposed to say this, but let's face reality. There will be two ways of getting the final build early: 1) Through TechNet and other related developer/manufacturer programs, and 2) Warez sites.

RC1 is solid enough though that even when the final is out, I foresee a wide range of people will continue using it for some time.

Captain828 Captain828 said:

Julio said:

Yeah, I placed a pre-order for it as well, but I'll torrent the RTM regardless.

tengeta tengeta said:

My bank account isn't improving anytime soon, I'm likely using the RC until I can't anymore.

RTM basically means the PC companies will get to start preparing their fall lines to release with the operating systems debut.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

I'd say as long as you order the product there is no harm in downloading the ISO off of a torrent site

Of course keeping in mind to MD5 verify the release against the official one to make sure you don't get viruses etc bundled

I sure would not want to wait until October the 22:nd if I preordered today

Here is just hoping that we get the same nice $50 offer in Sweden as is available for some other countries already!

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

waiting for 15th july so i can order my copy of home premium for 49.99 in the uk

JudaZ said:

by the way, 50 quid for a retail standalone copy of a operating system, not an upgrade and not an oem, is pretty awesome.

If i could pre-order would, but i cant...damn EU moronic lawsuits .

..so torrent it will be. ...they are really pushing for us not to download "illegal" arnt they ... . so stupid.

FoReWoRd said:

yukka said:

where, i need one myself

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Well we will get it in Europe for a very good price, £50 in the UK for the "upgrade" version of Home Premium "E" and £100 for Professional "E" (I will get the Pro version)

But since I guess you have already read that there wont be an upgrade version in Europe, due to the unbundling of IE not being tested during development.

So we will infact be getting the FULL version for just £50/£100

I'm a little bummed that it is limited to the UK but some of the stores that will offer it do ship international so no problems there

The offer will start on July 15:th and run untill August 9:th here in Europe

"You can pre-order Windows 7 Home Premium E for ERP £49.99 or Windows 7 Professional E for ERP £99.99. The offer is available at participating retailers and through the Microsoft Store between July 15th 2009 and 9th August 2009. Each participating retailer will tell you how to get your copy when Windows 7 is released. Retailer prices may vary."

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Just a bit of a shame that Ultimate isnt offered on this special but I won't complain too much. Really want that Home Premium for 50quid

tengeta tengeta said:

Convert those pounds to dollars once we get our pricing figured out in North America and it will likely look the same. Don't get excited just because you see low numbers, pounds have been and will likely remain the strongest currency for a while to come, given the weak dollar we may pay twice as much, but our moneys only worth half as much so its the frickin same.