Google suffers another Gmail outage

By Justin Mann on September 1, 2009, 6:00 PM
Users of Gmail today were beset by problems, following a service outage of the popular webmail service. Affecting nearly all aspects of Gmail, people relying on the web client, mobile clients, and standard email clients have all found themselves unable to retrieve or read messages.

The problem was first identified on Monday, though Google has apparently taken the service completely down today for further repairs. Google has said that fixes are ongoing, and that the service should be restored shortly. Some reports have indicated that only certain aspects of Gmail were affected. People relying on the IMAP functionality of the service reported that while it still worked, it was unstable. People logging onto the web client were deprived of access, and are still having issues at of the time of writing.

This is another in a series of Gmail outages, including one this year and two others in 2008. It was because of those issues that Google crafted their service status page, the first step in immediate feedback on whether or not a Google service is functioning.

What outage? I've been able to access my G-mail account fine. No problems on Monday either...

m1t0s1s said:

Like any other mail hosting service has 100% uptime. A former employed used appliedi.net and had outages all the time!

m1t0s1s said:

It would be cool if google sold a gmail/docs/apps appliance, though, for enterprises that want email etc behind the firewall.

camuss15 camuss15 said:

Gmail didn't work for me when right after I got home from school, about 4 hours ago, but it has worked ever since just fine. I just got on Gmail and read a few emails before reading this.

JudaZ said:

I havent noticed any problems .. and i acces my gmail seceral times a day .. all the time all hours of the day.. ... strange... only some countries affected?

I believe this article should be corrected as far as listing standard mail clients as also being a problem. Except for TechSpot, I have not seen a single reference on other sites referring to Gmail access with a mail client as a problem. Most other sites actually mention using a mail client when Gmail's web access is hosed. Previous Gmail outages have also been solved by using a mail client like Thunderbird, Outlook, or Apple Mail, etc.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

I've been sitting here on and off for about 10 hours and haven't noticed any issues myself.

strategic strategic, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hmm...

I haven't noticed any problems either, but then, it's not like I'm sending/receiving emails every 5 minutes.

I have 3 accounts, and access them with M$ Outlook POP3/SMTP.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Anyway, I actually did notice the outage. It was probably around 3:30 or 4:00 Eastern Time, and I could not refresh my inbox. It lasted half an hour at most, so it really was not a biggie.

wiak said:

m1t0s1s said:

well this is what we have Offline Gmail for

il.html

every mail provider can have downtime just ask any isp

and google is pushing all these web only apps? I don't think so google. I'm done with gmail...NEXT

Out/downtime, call it whatever you like, is indeed an inconvenience for most in this time and age. However, considering that it's a free service (as far as I know Google charges 0.00$ to let us have a GMAIL account and the other services) I don't think there's room to complain. If you pay for the service, then you are entitled to a complaint IMHO.

I have downtime with my ISP, caused by problems with the telecom company that rents out the bandwidth etc. I'd still say that GMAIL as an excellent record considering the amount of accounts (in the millions?) that are active.