Sony announces 11.1" ultraportable VAIO X notebook

By on September 2, 2009, 4:45 PM
Sony has introduced the new ultra-thin VAIO X laptop series today in Berlin at the IFA 2009 electronics event. There aren't too many details available yet, but based on reports from outfits attending the gathering, it's a premium ultra-portable with a non-glossy 11.1" display, a carbon fiber .55" chassis, and weighs a mere 1.5lbs.

According to Engadget (who is on site), the system will tout an "all-day" battery life, and will set a new standard for stamina. There is nothing official about what will power the VAIO X at launch, but Engadget is reporting that they hear it packs an Intel Atom. That said, nothing is locked in and there's no telling if CULV-based models will be available.

After watching a video shot by NetbookNews, I have to admit that while attractive, the model they handled was looking a little fragile (watch the display as it's opened). Sony is expected to announce an official spec sheet next month, and the VAIO X will hit stores about a week after Windows 7's October 22 launch. Does anyone want to take a stab at the MSRP?

wow...! thats neat. Very convenient. How small are they willing to go.

shossofe shossofe said:

how much will this cost? I don't feel like paying over 2000 for something that can snap when I touch it @.@

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Bob...I'll take 599 usd.

Well it's a sony so its gonna be expensive. It super portable that usually makes it even more expensive. I think it will be between $1000-2000. Let's say $1600.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That's definitely the Sony modus operandi. With the carbon fiber (which is expensive enough as it is) chassis, I don't see this being any less that $1600, plus the additional cost of upgrades needed to make it run efficiently, ie. more ram. Sure it looks cool, but I think I'll pass on this one.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

This is small, has to be a competitive price, 1600 is still too expensive. Its not a notebook capable of running productivity software efficiently.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Put me down for $1,300 -- although I wouldn't be shocked to see $1,600 haha.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

well I still have the lowest price, so if all of you go over I'm the one coming down to the price is right!

viperpfl said:

The way Sony prices there computers, I am going to say $900. That would be with 2gb of memory and 250 gig hard drive. Right now Best Buy sells a Sony 10.1" netbook with 1 gig for $500. They did sell a 8" netbook with 2gb of memory for $900.

Captain828 Captain828 said:

It depends on what it will come equipped with:

- if it's Atom based, most likely 600-900, with the limited 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD or SSD;

- if it's CULV based, >1500, with 2GB DDR3, 250GB HDD or SSD

Wow, when she tried to open the lid, the lid actually bended! either sony needs to make it a bit more rigid, or i am just making assumptions and the lid is fine but that girl is really really strong....

tengeta tengeta said:

That is not how you should ever open a screen that flimsy... wow.

And I'm just about 95% sure that memory card slot is Sony MS compatable only, I'd rather have nothing there so it doesn't suck dust in.

BlasterLP said:

Looks like it isnt built too strong, a screen like that wont last long if you travel much

I was just at the Sony Store in Ginza Tokyo today and saw the notebook. It is a looker. I believe its listed as Yen 89,000... In today's conversion rate... a little less than $1000