Microsoft's Zune HD to be available in US only

By on September 11, 2009, 1:34 PM
Microsoft's Zune HD has sparked a heavy interest in gadget lovers, and the upcoming music player may even steal some thunder from Apple's iPod. Unfortunately, Microsoft has announced that the device will remain in the US only. In other words, if you reside elsewhere on our blue marble, don't expect to see a Zune HD on local store shelves in the immediate future.

Redmond has said that it is "focused on deploying an exciting service in the form of Zune Video to 18 markets." The software-giant is "looking at potential future hardware experiences for these markets, but [does] not have anything to announce right now." An understandable reason to delay the launch abroad -- however, haven't other markets already been thoroughly tested with Apple's portable MP3 and video endeavor?

Come September 15 the Zune HD will debut, and regardless of its overseas presence, I suspect that it will put at least a slight chink in Apple's armor. Do you think the Zune will flop again?

From the specs ive seen so far this think looks kick butt, i was going to get a itouch but once i saw this was comming out im seriously thinking about getting the zune HD now.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Wow must be the same bunch that decided to release the original zune only in the US. I still can not understand why they chose to ignore 5.7 billion potential customers.

zune hd is going to sh%t on the weak new ipod lineup. plain and simple.

fwilliams said:

it is just to punish the EU for not letting Microsoft take over the world

WTF Microsoft?? I was waiting for this!

Anshrew said:

Eh, I was probably going to buy it online anyway, although it is getting increasingly annoying that all these big announcements for xboxlive, or PSN, or other media things like Hulu etc. etc. are not available in Canada.

shossofe shossofe said:

I don't give a damn if they want to be an apple killer or not. As long as they say fast, smooth with 720p video output. I'm spending my money on this

Gonna Fail Again!

The Zune is nothing but an MP3/MP4 player while the iTouch is a portable entertainment console. I love Zunes ( My 30 GB is still my favorite piece of electronic gear) but Microsoft needs to quit treating the Zune like a red-headed stepchild.

For Example,if Zune could use this new innovation called Bluetooth, we could use Bluetooth Stereo Headphones and not have the cords that run from our headsets to the player catching on objects around the house and especially at the gym.

Why can't Zune natively function as an external Hard Drive to store documents? Why does it require a Registry hack to work as a Hard Drive? I carry around a 30 GB Hard Drive that can't be used for Documents?

Why does Zune not sync with your contacts? Outlook and Outlook Express are both Microsoft products, could those follks possibly talk to the Zune Guys and possibly integrate the products? My $59.99 cell phone with a 1 GB SD card can store hundreds of Contacts in the Address Book, but a device with a 30 GB Hard Drive can't?

And don't get me started on accessories. Walk into any Walmart, Best Buy, Fry's .etc and you will see endless shelves of accessories for the iPod and iTouch.

If you find more than 4 accessories for the Zune, congratulations you have hit the Motherlode!

Sorry Microsoft, I was hoping that release of the HD series would cure some of the Zune's deficiencies, but all I can see is Touch Screen capability and a more streamlined product.

So it's iTouch for me now, anybody want to buy a 4 GB, 8 GB, 30 GB or 80 GB used Zune?